• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

No January Thaw!

4aprice

.it's more crowded and it's really close to Jersey..lol..enough said..

You're joking right? The crowds at Blue were huge Sunday. Plus You have a HSQ and Six-pack serving the same terrain. Talk about a cluster&%*(. I've found the conditions a Camelback to be much much better. You can have the vertical feet I'll take the better snow.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

You're joking right? The crowds at Blue were huge Sunday. Plus You have a HSQ and Six-pack serving the same terrain. Talk about a cluster&%*(. I've found the conditions a Camelback to be much much better. You can have the vertical feet I'll take the better snow.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Camelback has better snow than Blue..that's like saying Milwaukees best is better beer than Natural Light..lol..anyway over on www.paskiandride.com alot of former Camelback season passholders have seen the light and the light is Blue..oh well..if I lived in Jersey..I'd just go to Mountain Creek..

ERJ-145CA

Camelback has better snow than Blue..that's like saying Milwaukees best is better beer than Natural Light..lol..anyway over on www.paskiandride.com alot of former Camelback season passholders have seen the light and the light is Blue..oh well..if I lived in Jersey..I'd just go to Mountain Creek..

You think the Poconos are crowded on weekends, Mountain Creek is almost unskiable on weekends from what I've heard, I've always avoided it on weekends though. As for this Blue vs. Camelback debate I like Camelback but I have to say I like Blue better, having skiied both multiple times over the last few years.

You think the Poconos are crowded on weekends, Mountain Creek is almost unskiable on weekends from what I've heard, I've always avoided it on weekends though. As for this Blue vs. Camelback debate I like Camelback but I have to say I like Blue better, having skiied both multiple times over the last few years.

ERJ has seen the light and the light is Blue..the only people who think Camelback is better than Blue are Camelback seasonpassholders..

hammer

January thaw is coming a few weeks late...just in time for the Feb. vacation week. :-(

Actually, I would have rather had this happen a few weeks ago...

Greg

Staff member
I consider a "thaw" a several day period, like 3-5+, where the temps remain well above freezing even at night. We haven't had that, even in SNE. Sure we've had some warm days and NCP, but I think there is some overreaction here. The only really bad part about this warm-up is the timing, being right before Prez week. Aside from that, we'll recover and the rest of the season should be good.

loafer89

I consider a "thaw" a several day period, like 3-5+, where the temps remain well above freezing even at night. We haven't had that, even in SNE. Sure we've had some warm days and NCP, but I think there is some overreaction here. The only really bad part about this warm-up is the timing, being right before Prez week. Aside from that, we'll recover and the rest of the season should be good.

That's not exactly true as we had a very severe thaw right before Christmas and we lost about 90% of our snowcover (about 12") here in Coventry. I think it got up to 50-55F here for a while with high overnight temperatures, fog and a ton of rain.

The timing sucks for sure as I have my son home for 9 days with nothing around but icy WROD, expensive lift rates and crowds. After skiing tree's and powder bumps, we are taking a step backwards with snow conditions.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

Well then some damgun varmit is out there meltin all the snow. Tried to put bang the croquet hoops down into the lawn butn its still too hard.

I'm having empathy pains for the resorts. I want them to suck in a lot of money next week so my lift-served habit will survive!

Greg

Staff member
That's not exactly true as we had a very severe thaw right before Christmas and we lost about 90% of our snowcover (about 12") here in Coventry. I think it got up to 50-55F here for a while with high overnight temperatures, fog and a ton of rain.

I meant since early January.

By the time the warm and rain moves out..most natural snow terrain in New England will be solid ice or bare..

loafer89

By the time the warm and rain moves out..most natural snow terrain in New England will be solid ice or bare..

Not in Northwestern Maine, not by a long shot. Northern New Hampshire and Northeastern Vermont should make it through this okay as well.

Smugglers Notch, Mad River Glen and Magic wil take it on the chin though.

Greg

Staff member
Sorry, my bad, the December thaw sucked though and we lost tons of cover.

No worries. You haven't been living here that long. Most years our snow cover comes and goes. This last stretch was the longest I could remember in a long time.

Glenn

It has been a good run the last month or so. This is the first time in weeks that I've seen bare grass. Usually, we'll get snow down here(CT) and a week or so later, there's a lot of melt. It's been a long time since we've had solid snow cover on the ground for 4+ weeks.

psyflyer

Here on Burke Mt the cover has yet to budge and things look good so far. Although conditions remain somewhat slick, the snow-cover is more abundant today than today last year, plenty to go around and still tons of fun. Tomorrow should warm up perhaps beyond freezing also on the mountain but conditions also calls for some light snow. We shall see.

loafer89

Here on Burke Mt the cover has yet to budge and things look good so far. Although conditions remain somewhat slick, the snow-cover is more abundant today than today last year, plenty to go around and still tons of fun. Tomorrow should warm up perhaps beyond freezing also on the mountain but conditions also calls for some light snow. We shall see.

I agree there is alot of snow on Burke easily 50% more than at Smugglers Notch. I would like to get back up to the mountain after the next snowfall to ski Dixieland again.