• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

One change

Smellytele

Jay Peak has a LOT of beds and questionable summer viability. Burke has an advantage in that there will be fewer beds and mountain biking brings a lot of people in. The real question is whether or not they can get mountain bikers to want to spend their money at Burke and not just Kingdom trails. That will take better management than we have seen recently. On the other hand, their recent enduro race drew 200 bikers, so it looks like bikers may have a short memory.

My biggest concern would be the build-out of mountain biking trail networks in places that are closer to the urban areas and/or more popular places. Killington is a good example. Ascutney could be a contender as well - although I am not sure what lifts remain.

Mtn bikers for the most part (not saying all) would rather camp then stay in the hotel. Is the camp ground still there or is it gone?

HowieT2

Castlerock pub was enlarged from it's original size. This was done a year or two after the new lodge opened. Has nothing to do with the wasted space upstairs.

My recollection of how events unfolded, is that when they built the gatehouse/castle rock pub, the plan was to demolish the valley house while building a large lodge with additional cafeteria/bar space. That changed, valley house remains, and the large structure was not built in favor of the schoolhouse and farmhouse, neither of which have cafeteria or bar space. so the problem is not so much with the design of the gatehouse/crp, but what they chose to build afterwards. That being said, they need more cafeteria and bar capacity somewhere. Personally, I'd like to see the valley house demolished and replaced with a new lodge, but that doesnt seem to be the plan. So, I guess they are going expand the valley house uphill towards spring fling, which if its done right, could be pretty cool.

My understanding is that the problem with building a full service mid mtn lodge at the top of the super bravo, where Alyn's Lodge now stands, is that there is no water line there. That is why they only have packaged foods and composting toilets in Alyns. dont know why that is such an obstacle (obviously water is necessary but why is it not feasible to run a line). I recall Win in the past talking about a mid mtn lodge at the base of the Heavens gate or at the confluence of the gatehouse, slidebrook and north lynx lifts.

machski

Isn't Alyns and the top of Super Bravo in GMNF land? If so, there's your road block.
My recollection of how events unfolded, is that when they built the gatehouse/castle rock pub, the plan was to demolish the valley house while building a large lodge with additional cafeteria/bar space. That changed, valley house remains, and the large structure was not built in favor of the schoolhouse and farmhouse, neither of which have cafeteria or bar space. so the problem is not so much with the design of the gatehouse/crp, but what they chose to build afterwards. That being said, they need more cafeteria and bar capacity somewhere. Personally, I'd like to see the valley house demolished and replaced with a new lodge, but that doesnt seem to be the plan. So, I guess they are going expand the valley house uphill towards spring fling, which if its done right, could be pretty cool.

My understanding is that the problem with building a full service mid mtn lodge at the top of the super bravo, where Alyn's Lodge now stands, is that there is no water line there. That is why they only have packaged foods and composting toilets in Alyns. dont know why that is such an obstacle (obviously water is necessary but why is it not feasible to run a line). I recall Win in the past talking about a mid mtn lodge at the base of the Heavens gate or at the confluence of the gatehouse, slidebrook and north lynx lifts.

BenedictGomez

My biggest concern would be the build-out of mountain biking trail networks in places that are closer to the urban areas and/or more popular places. Killington is a good example. Ascutney could be a contender as well - although I am not sure what lifts remain.

IMO, the biggest concern is that every Tom-Dick-and-Harry ski resort seems to be getting into the Mountain Bike market, which could quickly lead to that market becoming saturated in a few years.

thetrailboss

Staff member
IMO, the biggest concern is that every Tom-Dick-and-Harry ski resort seems to be getting into the Mountain Bike market, which could quickly lead to that market becoming saturated in a few years.

Yes, and my concern is that Burke had a GOLDEN opportunity with the relationship it had built over the years with KT and in a few short weeks completely burned that relationship and flushed what was left down the toilet. I don't think that merely building a Hotel is going to resolve Burke's issues.

VTKilarney

That was pretty much my point - since those Tom, Dick, and Harry resorts are all closer to population centers than Burke. Truthfully, it's Kingdom Trails that brings bikers to Burke - not the lift served biking.

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
One change that I'd make would be for all eastern ski areas to receive 350+ inches of snow. Imagine how much cheaper lift tickets would be, how many powder days we'd get, how fun MRG and Magic would be ALL THE TIME. That's really the only viable answer to this question.

moresnow

One change that I'd make would be for all eastern ski areas to receive 350+ inches of snow. Imagine how much cheaper lift tickets would be, how many powder days we'd get, how fun MRG and Magic would be ALL THE TIME. That's really the only viable answer to this question.
Finally a reasonable idea.