• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pats Peak to Require Reservations

pinion

I would think that relative to Pats' continued success through bad weather, staff shortages, etc that Vail might look at Crotched a bit more favorably, no? It's right down the street. From a competition POV keeping Crotched closed certain days midweek and not doing Midnight Madness lets Pats walk away with a clear win here. the reservation system just reinforces what was already clear this season.

eatskisleep

Not saying they'd be interested, but should Vail need to divest assets, it would be great for the state to contract with Pats to run Sunapee. They do such a great job. Even better if they did a 3 mountain pass of Pats, Sunapee and Cannon.
As you said with the Wildcat/Cannon idea for a pass, I’d buy a Cannon/Pats pass in a heartbeat. My wife loves Pats Peak and I love Cannon so it’s a win-win.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would think that relative to Pats' continued success through bad weather, staff shortages, etc that Vail might look at Crotched a bit more favorably, no? It's right down the street. From a competition POV keeping Crotched closed certain days midweek and not doing Midnight Madness lets Pats walk away with a clear win here. the reservation system just reinforces what was already clear this season.

Hard to say. Vail treats all of NH including Crotched as a balding red headed stepchild.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think that Vail only looks at the macro level and not the micro level.

icecoast1

Maybe i'm in the minority, but i'd be pretty pissed if I bought a pass and then had to make a reservation to use it. The solution is to not oversell in the first place

drjeff

Maybe i'm in the minority, but i'd be pretty pissed if I bought a pass and then had to make a reservation to use it. The solution is to not oversell in the first place

The reservations at Pats for the weekends and Holidays the rest of this season is for day ticket purchasers only. Season pass holders won't need to make a reservation.

Reasonable to the passholder and maybe even a slight incentive for the weekender day ticket buyer who goes a few times a year to think about getting a pass, especially if Pats annouces that this will be their plan for next season as well

icecoast1

The reservations at Pats for the weekends and Holidays the rest of this season is for day ticket purchasers only. Season pass holders won't need to make a reservation.

Reasonable to the passholder and maybe even a slight incentive for the weekender day ticket buyer who goes a few times a year to think about getting a pass, especially if Pats annouces that this will be their plan for next season as well

That makes sense, I was under the impression it would be for passholders...

eatskisleep

This is what Highland Mountain does for biking in the summer. Limits ticket sales but you don’t need a reservation if you are a pass holder. Keeps the lines down and the product premium. As a pass holder, I love it.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not saying they'd be interested, but should Vail need to divest assets, it would be great for the state to contract with Pats to run Sunapee. They do such a great job. Even better if they did a 3 mountain pass of Pats, Sunapee and Cannon.
I hear you, but I think that the beauty of Pats Peak's management is that they understand their product and don't overextend themselves. I think going from one relatively small/medium ski area to two areas, one with two HSQ's, much more terrain, much more staff to manage, and more passholders and expectations, would be a big challenge to say the least.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I hear you, but I think that the beauty of Pats Peak's management is that they understand their product and don't overextend themselves. I think going from one relatively small/medium ski area to two areas, one with two HSQ's, much more terrain, much more staff to manage, and more passholders and expectations, would be a big challenge to say the least.

You're probably right and there's definitely something to be said for keeping it one of the very few independent family owned mountains left. I'm glad they're on the Indy Pass so I can get a couple of days there with my young kids and I'm especially glad to have joined a race team for Wednesday nights. Super fun.

thetrailboss

Staff member
You're probably right and there's definitely something to be said for keeping it one of the very few independent family owned mountains left. I'm glad they're on the Indy Pass so I can get a couple of days there with my young kids and I'm especially glad to have joined a race team for Wednesday nights. Super fun.
One can certainly hope and dream. They’re a class act. Sunapee folks deserve better than what they have now.

BodeMiller1

We had 20 something and I sold most of ours to Ober Gatlinberg when we moved to the HKDs but they are a pretty awesome gun. Right up there with the K2000 and SR7 I think for top air hogs on most conditions. There are quite a few out there still, they were made by a company right in Londonderry, VT.

Some of ours in 2016:

View attachment 52652View attachment 52653
This made my day.