• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Powdr is going FastPass at Copper, K, Snowbird and Bachelor

cdskier

I honestly think opening a main lift an hour early for people is overall better. Could you get 100 people to pony up $50 on Saturday's/Sunday's for early access? Maybe. That'd be more acceptable to most people, IMO. You get an hour of being special with an uncrowded lift, first tracks, and a few dozen people on the trails...then you're mixed in with the unwashed masses once the opening bell rings. Cons would be you need to pay lifties that additional hour, grooming has to be done and patrol has to do the opening sweep in whatever area is opening early. But now you're selling an upcharged, unique experience... not a line cutting tool a la Six Flags or Disney. The phrase "Upcharged, unique experience" makes any ski resort marketer jizz themselves (or any form of entertainment, for that matter).

That's essentially what Sugarbush does with their "Early Ups" program. It is an add-on to your season pass that costs an extra $300-400 or something like that. You get to access the Super Bravo chair 30 minutes before everyone else on weekends and holidays (7:30 vs 8:00). (You also basically ensure yourself being first in line for Heaven's Gate when that opens since SB and HG both open to the public at 8am, but the general public needs to ride SB before they can get to HG).

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
That's essentially what Sugarbush does with their "Early Ups" program. It is an add-on to your season pass that costs an extra $300-400 or something like that. You get to access the Super Bravo chair 30 minutes before everyone else on weekends and holidays (7:30 vs 8:00). (You also basically ensure yourself being first in line for Heaven's Gate when that opens since SB and HG both open to the public at 8am, but the general public needs to ride SB before they can get to HG).

Yes...open it to the public for some $$$.

I'd be down for it when conditions are right a few times a year.

abc

How does Alterra know they're not being lied to? I assume there must be some sort of verification.
The same way any mountain keeps track of an Ikon holder skiing no more than 5 or 7 days a season?

Does the question even need to be asked??? Or do you think the mountains keep that number on a giant piece of paper in the back and burn it at the end of the season, so that they can “lie to” Alterra?

kingslug

Funny how Stowe had the earliest chair opening on weekends for no extra charge..in the country?..then then Vail changed it. But having the quad and Gondi open at the same time may make up for it.

jimmywilson69

I'm not sure it totally makes up for it, but it does seem like it'll help spread people out for the 8 AM start. In reality at Stowe how many laps could you get in at 730 before 8? I think unless you are straightlining lift line 2 would be the max. at least that is what my max was 🤪

kingslug

I could get in 3 maybe 4..great on a powder day..and it almost all locals looking to get in a few before work..then last season it was a shit show..very crowded.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Back in the day, it wasn't uncommon for the opening on good days at Stowe to get bumped up until 7:15ish on the Forerunner. It was great. I'd be upset about the 8AM start as well even if the Gondola opens at 8 now too. I typically would rip 4 or so runs off the quad and the last one being a long woods/bump run like Goat down to the Gondola for it's opening.

kingslug

Now they don't open Goat until later in the day...Big difference from SB that just opens runs and let you decide. One way Vail has changed the place.

machski

I like the Sugarloaf model. Pony up for the top tier pass and get an hour of first tracks on Sunday morning. They also offer it to groups as they did each year for the AZ Summit. It offers a little bit of exclusivity without totally thumbing noses at the everyday skier.

I loved the experience. You could rip out 5-6 runs like it's a midweek crowd free day, then also get a head start on the upper mountain lifts before the crowds built up on those chairs.
Actually, first tracks is an add on to the Platinum pass this year, it is not included.

jimmywilson69

I posted this on Kzone

Remember, these are the same "corporate" folks who forgot to resign a stupid sweet lease deal and had to literally watch their crown jewel be taken from them by Vail. So I gather based on that moment of idiocy plus a lot of other things in their time on the east coast that they really don't understand the market...

BenedictGomez

I could get in 3 maybe 4..great on a powder day..and it almost all locals looking to get in a few before work..then last season it was a shit show..very crowded.

Stowe used to do a, "take a run with Ski patrol" thing. You had to sign up for that and get there mega-early, but a pretty cool thing. Without even asking I'm 99.99999999999999999999% Vail must have killed that off. Imagine the liability of am skiing WITH the Ski patrol, lol.

BenedictGomez

Cumming is so proud of himself that he had the local Fox affiliate do a story on this new product.

They say no publicity is bad publicity, but if 90% of the local market hates it, it could challenge that maxim.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I posted this on Kzone

Remember, these are the same "corporate" folks who forgot to resign a stupid sweet lease deal and had to literally watch their crown jewel be taken from them by Vail. So I gather based on that moment of idiocy plus a lot of other things in their time on the east coast that they really don't understand the market...
Yeah, as expected K-Zone is not happy.

NYDB

"Hey, we are the only mountain in Utah pulling this bullshit....errr I mean offering this 'premium product'"

pretty tone deaf.

Also, If I had to guess, people will be throwing snowballs (or worse) at the people in the fast lanes at K. They are generally not known to be a very sober clientele.

thetrailboss

Staff member
"Hey, we are the only mountain in Utah pulling this bullshit....errr I mean offering this 'premium product'"

pretty tone deaf.

Also, If I had to guess, people will be throwing snowballs (or worse) at the people in the fast lanes at K. They are generally not known to be a very sober clientele.
Exactly.

kingslug

Stowe used to do a, "take a run with Ski patrol" thing. You had to sign up for that and get there mega-early, but a pretty cool thing. Without even asking I'm 99.99999999999999999999% Vail must have killed that off. Imagine the liability of am skiing WITH the Ski patrol, lol.
Yup..no such thing now. Vail is slowly (not for the better) changing Stowe. More conservative with openings for one thing. Last season they took a long time to open the gondi side. And they close stuff they deem ....dangerous. But whatever..they own the place now..