• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Powdr is going FastPass at Copper, K, Snowbird and Bachelor

jimmywilson69

Stowe was always more conservative than say Sugarbush with opening terrain. Now that Vail owns them I'm not surprised that they are keeping the "safety" of their guests in mind:sadwalk:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yup..no such thing now. Vail is slowly (not for the better) changing Stowe. More conservative with openings for one thing. Last season they took a long time to open the gondi side. And they close stuff they deem ....dangerous. But whatever..they own the place now..
That is ironic considering that Stowe was owned by AIG, an insurance company....... ;)

thetrailboss

Staff member

And their unofficial poll had a 93% opposed, 7% in favor. ONE person commented in favor (the token POWDR employee no doubt ;) ) and 24 commented against it. :ROFLMAO: :popcorn:

Last edited:

jimmywilson69

I'm not sure the whole public land thing has much of a leg to stand on. Its no different than Alta not allowing snowboards, yes its antiquated, but they are permitted to run their business as they please within their permitted area.

I'd imagine even John Cumming has a lawyer that is at least that competent, but who knows...

djd66

Personally, I can‘t believe a U.S. Senator actually spent time on this. I guess that goes along with his proposal to mandate 26 weeks of unemployment benefits. How about actually working on real issues like infrastructure issues in ports and freight rail systems?

I honestly could give 2 shits about this, It will have the same impact on me as a ski instructor cutting the line with his group- NONE. Or the people that bought a place at Claybrook - none! Fast lanes exist everywhere. Have you been to an airport? TSA Pre, Global Entry and CLEAR - you pay an additional fee and guess what - you cut the line.

ok people,… have at it!

drjeff

Personally, I can‘t believe a U.S. Senator actually spent time on this. I guess that goes along with his proposal to mandate 26 weeks of unemployment benefits. How about actually working on real issues like infrastructure issues in ports and freight rail systems?

I honestly could give 2 shits about this, It will have the same impact on me as a ski instructor cutting the line with his group- NONE. Or the people that bought a place at Claybrook - none! Fast lanes exist everywhere. Have you been to an airport? TSA Pre, Global Entry and CLEAR - you pay an additional fee and guess what - you cut the line.

ok people,… have at it!

Politics rules of today 101....

Always better to create a "new" problem than actually do something that solves an actual problem! Much easier to keep raising campaign funds that way by projecting all of the "problems" to one's base! o_O :dontknow: :rolleyes: :mad:

thetrailboss

Staff member
All I can say is, wow. I have been listening to his podcast on and off for a few months. He was probably the last guy I figured that would unleash this kind of honest assessment. But hey, he did. He is also correct that while the idea may not be a great one the fact that they unrolled it after selling season passes is a major PR disaster. Last night Snowbird posted on Facebook a picture of them making snow. I can only think that this was to try to distract the angry locals. However, it is six weeks before they’re scheduled to open and it’s supposed to warm up next week. Seems like an awful waste of money to me.

Last edited:

Abominable

Hilarious!

"Any burnout who has wandered around a Six Flags after snorting a gram of shroom brownies at any point in the past decade has seen the fast pass lane and thought, “Man I hope they don’t try to pull that shit skiing.”"

VTKilarney

Frankly, the only thing that surprises me is how long it has taken the ski industry to adopt this model. Expect more services to be un-bundled and more add-ons in the future.

KustyTheKlown

i agree completely that its ridiculous for senator wyden to get involved in this, even if a staffer wrote that e-mail and he just signed his name to it and it took no more than 90 seconds of his time. like, we're struggling to pass two historic pieces of extremely important legislation to bring our physical and social infrastructure into the 21st century, and a united states senator is crying to powdr corp about an amusement park fast pass? jesus fuckin christ.

Reactions: Edd

NYDB

Frankly, the only thing that surprises me is how long it has taken the ski industry to adopt this model. Expect more services to be un-bundled and more add-ons in the future.
I'm actually fine with it, just tell us before you sell seasons passes (or offer 100% no questions asked refunds) so we know what the hell we are buying.

Big Sky let everyone know upfront that the tram would be extra and restricted this year unless you paid for their highest dollar pass. Thats fine in my book

Just don't spring the poor door on me after I already purchased.

machski

All I can say is, wow. I have been listening to his podcast on and off for a few months. He was probably the last guy I figured that would unleash this kind of honest assessment. But hey, he did. He is also correct that while the idea may not be a great one the fact that they unrolled it after selling season passes is a major PR disaster. Last night Snowbird posted on Facebook a picture of them making snow. I can only think that this was to try to distract the angry locals. However, it is six weeks before they’re scheduled to open and it’s supposed to warm up next week. Seems like an awful waste of money to me.
On the snowmaking front, maybe. But Big Sky did the same and they don't open til Thanksgiving. Both received copious amounts of mid October snow. So to blow on top of that to start to build a base isn't a waste IMHO. It's smart, especially if they leave the gun smoke in huge whales. Sure some will melt down, but not likely all of it. Giving them something to start to build on later