• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pre Summit Skiing

xwhaler

Who's all skiing where before this wknd at Sugarloaf?
Catsup948, TobySki, and I will be at Black Mtn of Maine on Friday sampling the goodness of the Angry Beavers!

JAM614

Xwhaler,
Be sure to check out the new Saint John Glade and "Lazy River" on your visit. Should be in GREAT condition. $15!!! Enjoy.
Here's a sampling from last Friday;

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Good thread to ask for recent intel.

I know there's been a lot of snow lately in n.VT (Smuggs & Jay), but is there enough snow in the woods to bother bringing the 115mm up, or leave em' at home and bring the 90mm daily-drivers?

EDIT: Also, for Canadian posters, which weekend is it this year when hoards of Quebecois spawn will descend upon the mountain like ravenous locusts?

FreeShred

I know there's been a lot of snow lately in n.VT (Smuggs & Jay), but is there enough snow in the woods to bother bringing the 115mm up, or leave em' at home and bring the 90mm daily-drivers?

I skied my 102 underfoot armada TST's this past weekend at Sunday River and they were perfect for the conditions. There were pockets of pretty deeper snow but for the most part packed powder or tracked powder. If you have space, might as well bring the 115's, but my guess is that for the most part things will be quite tracked and you won't need that much float, unless you find some good pockets in Bracket basin or something. Also, you'll probably want some camber underfoot, with the big freeze/thaw that happened previously, you're bound to bottom out on some ice beneath the fresh snow at times so being able to hold an edge is helpful. Unfortunately, much of 4-6" we got in Portland last night doesn't seem to be making it to the Loaf.

skiMEbike

Don't have any first hand intel, as its been over 3 weeks since I've been to the Loaf :mad: However, my sources indicate that conditions are very good for Feb 5 up at the Loaf. Everything is just about open with the exception of backside & most extensions. I am hearing the trees are skiing well especially down lower (vs up high) which can be a little more sheltered from the wind. I've heard above treeline is pretty much scoured (including backside), so nothing to get excited about. As FreeShred stated, my guess is tracked up powder & packed powder should be easy to find on edges & in the woods. They reported 2 inches of snow overnight so that will help to freshen things up. Unfortunately, I have a sick family, so getting up there is looking doubtful...Enjoy !!

Be prepared for some w*#! & cold....Looks like some "typcial" Sugarloaf weather on the weekend(especially Friday & Saturday) with Summit winds 40 mph & higher gusts & negative to single digit temps translating into -40 to -50 wind chill values at the summit....Hopefully it won't impact lifts to much, but experience tells me you will experience wind holds. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer with the w*#! forecasts.

LoafSkier19

Heading to the Camden Snow Bowl today for the afternoon. If its a clear day tomorrow I plan to ski Big Squaw for a few runs from the summit before heading to Sugarloaf

skiMEbike

Heading to the Camden Snow Bowl today for the afternoon. If its a clear day tomorrow I plan to ski Big Squaw for a few runs from the summit before heading to Sugarloaf

That's quite the ME tour Camden, Greenville, Carrabassett Valley...Curious to hear about conditions at the summit of Big Squaw. Enjoy!!