• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Preparation for the new ski season for the knee

Savemeasammy

The surgery was so long that my leg had no feeling for more than a day from the tourniquet. It was like pins and needles like when you sit on it too long.

I had rotator cuff surgery a few weeks ago, and they gave me a nerve block before hand. I had no sensation in my shoulder or arm for about 24-36 hours. After it wore off, the pain was really bad. Even oxycodone couldn't touch it... I can't imagine how painful it would have been if not for the nerve block.

Hopefully your knee is good to go. Being injured during the season sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edd

I had rotator cuff surgery a few weeks ago.

That's interesting to me. Full tear? I have a partial and I manage ok but I have to hang from a bar (stretch) most days and keep it strong. But I can't push it too hard.

Savemeasammy

That's interesting to me. Full tear? I have a partial and I manage ok but I have to hang from a bar (stretch) most days and keep it strong. But I can't push it too hard.

Yes, full. There was actually more than one tear. I have 5 different incisions from where the doc went in. The pain from my tear was constant - I couldn't even sleep through the night. I had done rotor cuff damage in the past, but the pain went away after a while. The pain from this tear got worse as time passed.

Puck it

I had rotator cuff surgery a few weeks ago, and they gave me a nerve block before hand. I had no sensation in my shoulder or arm for about 24-36 hours. After it wore off, the pain was really bad. Even oxycodone couldn't touch it... I can't imagine how painful it would have been if not for the nerve block.

Hopefully your knee is good to go. Being injured during the season sucks.

No pain with any of the surgeries. My wife says I am a freak. I will be good to go for the season in October.

Savemeasammy

Next time, I guess I should hurt my knee instead!

ScottySkis

Go hiking in the mountain range of the Gunks(Lake Minnsesskkkkka, Mohonk Perserve, and Peters Kills , SAms Point all with in of what 30 miles or so) in NY that great prep for the season ...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MadMadWorld

They used my my patella tendon for the replacement. I developed tendinitis in it during rehab, but I was playing hockey again the following December. Surgery was at the beginning of May. My surgery was 8 hours. It was only suppos to be 3-4. He had to do a lot of bone grinding since I abused it so much. He said it was the worse seen he had seen. The surgery was so long that my leg had no feeling for more than a day from the tourniquet. It was like pins and needles like when you sit on it too long.

You sure you didn't have nerve blockers? When I had my knee reconstruction I had the same feeling but was told it was from that.

dlague

No swelling? I was icing my knee for a week. It was pretty much the same as tearing the ACL again.

Oh there was swelling but was not painful. My range of motion blew but PT took care of that. Compression socks also sped up the recovery time related to swelling. 100% off crutches in five weeks.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Savemeasammy

This thread makes me want to give up skiing. Almost.

Advice: If you get injured, just do what I did. Pretend you AREN'T injured, and keep skiing. Deal with it after the season.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

skiNEwhere

I have an almost unnatural fear of tearing my ACL.

Seriously. For that reason I overanalyze any drop, even if it's like only 5 feet, before hitting it for the first time.

Brad J

I ruptured me ACL in March 1998 and skied 2 weeks later for three days at Stowe. had to take it easy in the bumps, never have had it repaired, I am a self employed contractor with a family , could not miss work for 6 weeks for operation and rehab.

Savemeasammy

I am a self employed contractor with a family , could not miss work for 6 weeks for operation and rehab.

Same here. I tore my rotator cuff in February, but I put off surgery until mid August, which is shortly before my wife (a teacher) had her checks coming in again. If I can only miss 6 weeks, I would be happy with that.

MadMadWorld

I don't think so. I remember the doc saying that they released the tourniquet everey so often.

Yea I had a long surgery too and I'm sure the tourniquet didn't help. It was a very odd feeling as I remember. It made me crazy paranoid because of the risk of blood clots.