• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Road tripping from New York to good ski slopes...?

SouthAfricanSav

Hey all

I am not from the states so please excuse my complete ignorance or strange questions, as i am trying to get the best answers to get my trip set up.

Ok so i am looking to drive from New York to a really great ski/ boarding area for me and a group of mates (aged 27 - 33). Had a look and saw that there are a lot of good looking places up north and wanted to find out if anyone had any suggestions for vibey, good snow fall, good slopes anywhere in a 500 odd mile range of New York. Thought about hiring a jeep and going to a place that has great pubs, parties young people and good snow in mid December. Even if it is a little further it is not a problem as i am sure there are great places to see on route, GOOD ROAD TRIPPING is GOOD.

I understand that a lot of really good skiers and boarders look for high peaks and untouched snow, but on a trip like this i am looking for a good place to have a good time. As well as being able to get a cabin or house and be in a busy village type environment.

Thanks to anyone who might have any suggestions.

OH i was thinking lake placid as a good place but as i say its just a thought.

Regards,

Sav.

Last edited:

Hawkshot99

Mid December might be kinda tough. Unless you have already booked a flight, see if you can bump it back a bit for a better shot at decent snow.

skiberg

I will assume you mean NYC as New York State is pretty darn big. I would wait until the last minute and then read snow reports from resort web sites for the following: Sunday River, Killington, Okemo, Sugarloaf, Loon, Hunter and Stowe. Those are some of the Big Boys for Snow making and Sunday River is almost a guarantee for quality snow. If we have a good natural snow base then you can widen your horizons to include, Jay Peak, Sugarbush, Cannon. Early season snow can be finicky in the East. Last year was one of the worst ever, but the year prior was one of the best ever for Northern NE. This is not a suggestion as to the best skiing, merely the most reliable early season conditions. It appears you are form SA ever been to Tiffendell?

SouthAfricanSav

Sorry did mean NYC. Thanks for the tips, just really wanted to get some skiing in while I was in the East. Maybe i might just have to find another attraction to do in New York State if there is no snow as December is the best time for us to travel from SA and a white Xmas would be awesome. A couple of the boys have never skied before, so was thinking it was a good opportunity.

I actually haven't been, as I have been skiing in Europe and once in Colorado so a small, short slope has not got my attention as yet. :) and from what i believe they have been closed and up for sale for a while.

But thanks for the reply.

Geoff

Late 20's-early 30's guys looking for bars & parties mid-December leaving from NYC? Killington is the pretty obvious answer. It has by far the most night life in the east and the biggest snowmaking system. If the weather cooperates, Hunter would be much less driving.

steamboat1

If your looking to party & a good chance of good snow conditions mid December Killington is the place.

Most bars have a free shuttle bus to bring you & your mates back to your local lodging after indulging so you don't get a DWI.

About a 5hr. drive & 285 miles from NYC.

SouthAfricanSav

That looks awesome, just what im looking for. Now just got to find the best place to stay hotels, condo's or a house!

Last couple of questions: "better to be in the know"

Good idea to pre-book slope passes, get any discounts?
Anyone have a good contact who organises lodging beforehand? "Even though the Killington site looks very good."

OMG im geting excited and its 5 months away. HAHA.

Thanks again,

Sav

Geoff

How many people? What is your budget? How many days do you want to be there.

Northeastern ski areas are weekend businesses. They're very busy on Saturdays. They're empty midweek. The nightlife is mostly weekend-oriented when the people are there. If you're there for several days, the way to maximize your fun factor is to ski midweek and party Friday & Saturday night.

Prices mostly depend on how far you are willing to drive and how fancy you want. If you're ok with 20 or 25 minutes, you can do a "name your own price" on Priceline.com at a Rutland hotel for bargain prices. Midweek is cheaper than on weekends.

SouthAfricanSav

- 4 - 8 people.
- In SA rands the budget is going to be smashed anyway, so i dont really know where to start. 5 star is not really an option as i hear the alcohol in the States is pricey but a nice place is always good. Is it not easier to stay in the village than drive in and out every day? 2 - 4 star grading will do. Had a look at the site the places good but thought if there are private rentals in the area it may be cheaper and better.
- We were thinking Sat 22 Dec - Fri 28 Dec. "But if it pumps on a Friday we might have to change that to Fri 21 Dec - Thur 27 Dec"

ScottySkis

Watch snow and weather reports, central Vt to north Vt. generally gets more snow then NY ski hills ( fyi north east ski areas are small compared to CO. and Europe. Killington for party in Vermont about 4.5 hours from NYC.

Geoff

- We were thinking Sat 22 Dec - Fri 28 Dec. "But if it pumps on a Friday we might have to change that to Fri 21 Dec - Thur 27 Dec"

Christmas week? That is not mid-December. You will find nothing but outrageous prices at any ski area from December 26th onwards. I have no useful advice for that time slot. That is the time of year to get price gouged. A week earlier and you can just pick whoever has the best conditions and find bargain pricing.

steamboat1

Tough time slot for sure. If you could make it a week earlier beside being able to find more reasonably priced accommodations there's more. For the past several years Killington has been offering 2 for 1 lift ticket deals on line. That's a lot more drinking money. Last year I think the offer was good up to Dec. 19. Check out the "Skiing On The Cheap" thread in this forum in the fall to find out if they're having this offer again next year.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Killington is the answer for your needs.

Unfortunately, because you're travel dates extend into the Christmas Holiday period, expect to pay a premium. If you can have your trip start earlier and end on Xmas eve or day, the rates you get might be more favorable.

SkiFanE

- 4 - 8 people.
- In SA rands the budget is going to be smashed anyway, so i dont really know where to start. 5 star is not really an option as i hear the alcohol in the States is pricey but a nice place is always good. Is it not easier to stay in the village than drive in and out every day? 2 - 4 star grading will do. Had a look at the site the places good but thought if there are private rentals in the area it may be cheaper and better.

I knew it!

Like others have said - leave ski area before 12/26 and you should get a good deal - the week before Xmas is usually quiet. Killington will serve you well.

HowieT2

- 4 - 8 people.

your timing is going to make it tough because you are half way into the xmas new years holiday week. that is most expensive and there are likely minimum stay requirements. if that is the only time you can make it, you should research early because things do sell out that week.
If you are looking to save some money, check out a condo or house rental at vrbo.com, cyberrentals.com or some such site.

SouthAfricanSav

Thanks for the advice guys, we looking into moving things forward a bit but hopefully the saving we get on the ski side is greater than the prices we pay to be in NYC from Xmas into the new year. But I do see that peak starts on the 23rd so may be better to get in the The week before, just hope the snow cracks down.

This advice goes a long way.

Regards,

Sav.