• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Season Pass Advice

MG Skier

Good Morning AZers:

I am considering a season pass for next season. (I have never had one.) What are the pros and cons.

I am currently only skiing 12 days a year, I want to do more like 20+, but lift tix, accommodation, and travel are factors.

As a Massachusetts resident, I have a 2.5 hour drive to get to terrain that I enjoy. Magic is my new 3 hour drive favorite, but I am also very keen on Jay Peak, however it is only worth the drive if I can do 2 or more days of skiing.

So I guess the question is what is the mathematical formula or thought to pulling the trigger on a season pass?

Currently, I am buying several deals at the ski show and then using liftopia/mountain website, this is also helpful in chasing better conditions.

I am considering the Magic Blackout Pass......

Thoughts besides relocating closer to ski country or buying a ski house?

Thanks!

skiur

If you can't afford to buy/rent a ski house, look into getting into a share house, I'm not sure how many you may find around magic, but most larger mountains will have plenty. Choose a share house and get a pass to that mountain.

gmcunni

for many years i didn't have a season pass. living in south ct and 3 hours from S VT i just didn't think it made sense.

eventually i got a season pass to a CT hill, hour away. I basically skied there every other weekend and tried to ski SVT on the opposite weekend. did that for a couple years and my skier days jumped up a lot. having the pass to a local mountain made it easier for me to do a quick 1/2 day trip and not worry about the amount of time i spent on the hill. also gave me that extra motivation to get out an ski when i was on the fence about it. i supplemented my season pass with a CT Ski council membership and used that discount program for the days up north. no frill ski club only $15 for whole family to join. pays for itself on the first trip.

after 2-3 seasons of that i opt'd for a season pass at mount snow. door to door it was just under 3 hours and basically i went every other weekend. often just a single day up and back, again having the pass was motivation and alleviated the worry about not getting in a full day. still kept the CT SKI club card for discounts if/when i wanted to go elsewhere (also good for buying a buddy a ticket if someone joined me at Mount Snow). also on the mount snow pass were other mountains in the area and used that as excuse to try new places "for free".

sledride

I also love the terrain at Magic and considered a pass there but ended up going with Peaks. Wildcat is about the same drive time as Magic for me and I will mostly ski the cat but Peaks also gives you Crotched which is much closer for a half day trip or night skiing option. I feel like having a pass forces me to ski more because I want to make sure I use it, but it takes the pressure off an individual ski day. I don't feel like I need to get my money's worth out of every day like I do with a day ticket.

Pez

I've been doing the same thing for the last few years.

I;ve had a pass at somewhere local Blandford :)50) or Ski Butternut (1:15) which I can ski whenever. Then I just look for deals in VT and try to take advantage of those for a week or on weekends. liftopia, advanced tickets online things like that. Butternut pass gives me halfprice at the window for Stratton Jay and Smugglers. Mt snow has a great sunday afternoon ticket too.

It's worked out well and I'm skiing just as much as I did in high school, if not more.

VTKilarney

The tricky thing about a Magic pass is that you are REALLY banking on sufficient natural snowfall. I would want a plan B, for sure.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Depending on your location in Mass, I'd probably look at a Cannon pass given your love of Magic. IMO if you like trees, old school terrain and a laid back Vibe, Cannon is the best day trip bet if you reside east of Worcester. And with their massive investment in snowmaking in recent years, it's a much improved option when mother nature doesn't deliver.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

The tricky thing about a Magic pass is that you are REALLY banking on sufficient natural snowfall. I would want a plan B, for sure.

With their improved and repaired snow making and the snow making pond enlargement this may not be the truth going forward. Even the green chair will help as they can concentrate on a smaller area to open earlier.

elks

Peak pass is great for our family in MA as it provides a very extended season. With Mt Snow being an earlier opener and Wildcat a late closer, you get 5 1/2-6 month pass.
For us Crotched is an 80 minute drive so pretty convenient for weekend day trips and there are no blackouts with any Peak Pass at Crotched. If you like Magic, I’d imagine you’ll like Wildcat’s terrain a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

sull1102

Good Morning AZers:

I am considering a season pass for next season. (I have never had one.) What are the pros and cons.

I am currently only skiing 12 days a year, I want to do more like 20+, but lift tix, accommodation, and travel are factors.

As a Massachusetts resident, I have a 2.5 hour drive to get to terrain that I enjoy. Magic is my new 3 hour drive favorite, but I am also very keen on Jay Peak, however it is only worth the drive if I can do 2 or more days of skiing.

So I guess the question is what is the mathematical formula or thought to pulling the trigger on a season pass?

Currently, I am buying several deals at the ski show and then using liftopia/mountain website, this is also helpful in chasing better conditions.

Thanks!
Get the Peak Pass, especially if you qualify for the Drifter (20-somethings no blackout pass). You can plan on Mount Snow opening as early as possible and then be a leader in acreage for the first month or so. Then when the crowds show up in earnest or the powder shows up go to Magic a bunch, go on Throwback Thursday, get a few drinks. Tickets aren't crazy expensive and they do have deals often.

Peaks also gives you a couple trips to North Conway for Attitash and Wildcat. You'll like Wildcat if you like Magic, you might even love it. Attitash is worth a couple days too. ANDDDD Should you get crazy adventurous you could do a weekend at Hunter with their new terrain. Honestly I'd do it just because of how damn impressed I was with Mount Snow and their dedication to snowmaking, dropping ropes, and getting/staying open.

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

MG Skier

I have driven past Cannon multiple times........I will put it in my to ski plans next year, I am East of Wormtown and that isn't a bad drive.

Depending on your location in Mass, I'd probably look at a Cannon pass given your love of Magic. IMO if you like trees, old school terrain and a laid back Vibe, Cannon is the best day trip bet if you reside east of Worcester. And with their massive investment in snowmaking in recent years, it's a much improved option when mother nature doesn't deliver.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

MG Skier

With their improved and repaired snow making and the snow making pond enlargement this may not be the truth going forward. Even the green chair will help as they can concentrate on a smaller area to open earlier.

That was my take too. My only complaint was the days Black was struggling and or Red only on busy days. Other than that it is my kind of place!

MG Skier

Peak pass is great for our family in MA as it provides a very extended season. With Mt Snow being an earlier opener and Wildcat a late closer, you get 5 1/2-6 month pass.
For us Crotched is an 80 minute drive so pretty convenient for weekend day trips and there are no blackouts with any Peak Pass at Crotched. If you like Magic, I’d imagine you’ll like Wildcat’s terrain a lot.

Wildcat has been on my list to explore.....

RustyGroomer

That was my take too. My only complaint was the days Black was struggling and or Red only on busy days. Other than that it is my kind of place!

Some of my best days ever @ Magic are the non-powder days. Deep powder brings the hordes.

JamaicaMan

Good Morning AZers:

Thanks!

It's not about a mathematical formula, it's about instinct. And your 1st instinct is spot on.

Magic will just keep getting better...Trust me ;-)

MG Skier

It's not about a mathematical formula, it's about instinct. And your 1st instinct is spot on.

Magic will just keep getting better...Trust me ;-)

I am still leaning towards the blackout pass.......just wish I lived a little closer.....YES you guys are and will continue to develop,!I have enjoyed your journey and hope to make a work party this fall! Several folks mentioned it this season while riding the Red Chair. Please continue posting Green Chair progress, I'm a sucker for Lift Construction photos.

JamaicaMan

Lift contractor already working on sheave trains in their shop and will be heading to Magic mid-May for finishing the install.

Thanks for the early volunteer on the fall work days! See you then

shwilly

Lots of good advice here on various options. You could supplement a blackout pass with a few day tickets to NH places. Cannon and Wildcat are great, and the southern tier of NH hills would be closer for the odd day trip here or there.

Having a pass will tend to increase your ski days. When you've already paid for it, your mental math changes. When conditions look iffy, rather than wondering if tomorrow will be worth paying $70 (or whatever), you'll wonder whether it's worth the time to go and likely to be fun. Sometimes the iffy-looking days turn out to be really good. If it turns out to be a so-so groomer day, oh well, at least it didn't cost you $70.

MG Skier

Trigger Pulled for Magic!

The new lift news pushed me over the edge!!!
Looking forward to increasing my ski days, and exploring more of Magic!