• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Season Pass Options/Considerations

BenedictGomez

wonder if the Cottonwood resorts are concerned access up the canyons will be limited this winter due to the virus.

I doubt it. Utah is one of the states that really isn't experiencing a coronavirus problem. They're already at recovered > active cases & only experiencing 2 or 3 deaths per day.

drjeff

Got my families credit from Epic yesterday. Just over $500 between my wife's and my adult Epic Locals and our kids Epic Teen local's, which will cover the cost of about 90% of one of my kids passes for next season. Given that per Epic's numbers, cumulatively we had our passes scanned over 100 days last year (and I know the actual number was closer to around 120 days given my records), absolutely no complaints from me about how Epic is handling this

thetrailboss

Staff member
I doubt it. Utah is one of the states that really isn't experiencing a coronavirus problem. They're already at recovered > active cases & only experiencing 2 or 3 deaths per day.

Well, being in Utah, our cases are still on the rise. The rise is not as high as it was, but it is still going up. As to the pandemic and skiing, Snowbird announced that they will not reopen this ski season because the demand is simply too high for them to reopen safely. Basically, every IKON passholder would show up as would every Snowbird Passholder. A lot of Snowbird Passholders are pissed about this and their just-announced pass program that I detail below.

Not surprising, Snowbird followed POWDR's model of offering a "Passholder Promise" that they will offer a full-refund if a pass is not used by December 1st. They also offered a "credit" to passholders that only applies to a renewal of the SAME pass or a higher-valued pass. Generally, folks are getting $300 credit if their adult pass was used 5 days or less or $150 credit if they used their adult pass more than 5 days. Junior passes are $100/$50 credit along the same lines.

And, as I predicted, pass prices went UP across the board. As I had said, I imagine that skier days were high but revenue was flat or down. So, naturally, they increased pass prices instead of restricting IKON. Not much of an increase, but still an increase. It was such that the "credits" washed out most of the increase. Kind of weak. My Alta/Bird pass went up $200 in cost, but like Jackson Hole and Aspen they are dangling a peace offering to us in the form of a free IKON Base Pass. Regular adult passes went up $50.

Overall reception is mixed. Many are pretty upset because they were expecting a refund. I don't think that was reasonable to expect personally. I think the credit was a good idea in concept, but they require folks to renew at the same pass level. It would have been better to offer a credit for ANY product at the mountain because a lot of folks are not going to jump up and buy passes with all that is going on.

Last edited:

Dickc

Given I am still having back problems, I will wait until at least the fall before I make any decision. I may just grab a few online tickets at easier places to test out how skiing goes versus buy into a pass and find out after one ski trip that it hurts too much to go again.

They are looking at the SI join it now, and I had dual cortisone Shots in it yesterday. Another week or so and I get to see how I feel. Then the discussion with the docs can turn to what to do next. Insurance used to pay for a procedure that numbed the nerves for 18-36 months, but they no longer cover it. The only thing they cover now is fusing. I already have the fusions in the lower back. Having another will add additional stress to the lumbar 4-5. 2-3 is fused, 3-4 is fused, and 5-S1 was discovered to have “self” fused.

I hate my back! Where is Star Treks “Bones” with his tricorder!!!!!!

VTKilarney

Bromont is allowing you to get a full refund if you cancel by December 4th.

BenedictGomez

as I predicted, pass prices went UP across the board. I imagine that skier days were high but revenue was flat or down. So, naturally, they increased pass prices instead of restricting IKON. Not much of an increase, but still an increase. It was such that the "credits" washed out most of the increase. Kind of weak.

Whenever Gillette puts out a new razor, they do the counter-intuitive & actually INCREASE the price of the old razor blades simultaneous to the increased cost of the new & better razor. So classic is this model it is now known as the "razor & razor blade" model in business, regardless of the product. It's classically taught as a case study in pretty much every business school.

In a way, this is the ski version of that.

I need to "give" you something? Hmmmm....well, I'll increase the base of that something.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Whenever Gillette puts out a new razor, they do the counter-intuitive & actually INCREASE the price of the old razor blades simultaneous to the increased cost of the new & better razor. So classic is this model it is now known as the "razor & razor blade" model in business, regardless of the product. It's classically taught as a case study in pretty much every business school.

I need to "give" you something? Hmmmm....well, I'll increase the base of that something.

Well, if I do renew and there is a ski season, I selfishly hope that the angry masses do not return so that there is more room :lol:

mbedle

Isn't the razor and blade model when a product like an inkjet printer is sold cheap and the ink is where they make the money or in its namesake the cost of the razor is really cheap but the price for the blades are really expensive? Not sure I agree that the model is if I have to give a consumer something for free, I'll go ahead and raise the price of the product to compensate for it. However, I guess you could say the the price of the ski passes are really cheap because a lot of people will buy the overpriced food and beverage.

Zermatt

Only a week to make my renewal decision and I'm still not sold on next season. I'm guessing I'm not alone and resorts should be getting nervous.

Edd

Only a week to make my renewal decision and I'm still not sold on next season. I'm guessing I'm not alone and resorts should be getting nervous.

Only a week? What are you buying? I’m under the impression the normal deadlines have been extended by months.

boston_e

Only a week? What are you buying? I’m under the impression the normal deadlines have been extended by months.

Ikon goes up in price near the end of May and I think any renewal discounts go away too at that point (not 100% sure about that)

Edd

Ikon goes up in price near the end of May and I think any renewal discounts go away too at that point (not 100% sure about that)

That does surprise me. I’m going Epic so I wasn’t paying attention to Ikon. Epic raises in September I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p_levert

The Ikon pass deadline is Wed May 27. I will be buying. I am also thinking about the Indy Pass or some other cheapo pass with a bunch of partner resorts (like maybe a Ski Cooper pass).

JimG.

Staff member
That does surprise me. I’m going Epic so I wasn’t paying attention to Ikon. Epic raises in September I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

September is correct.

Actually considering the Epic local pass.

p_levert

September is correct.

The NE value pass is, well, a great value. Especially if you're a senior ($449). But the NY options are pretty limited, just Hunter.

Cobbold

Epic pass

September is correct.

I am considering the local epic pass with the Indy pass, live in wmass, moderna has good results on their vaccine trials, phase 1, going to phase two, maybe we will have a normal year, may go to a full epic with no Indy if moderna does develop the vaccine.

Killingtime

The Ikon pass deadline is Wed May 27. I will be buying. I am also thinking about the Indy Pass or some other cheapo pass with a bunch of partner resorts (like maybe a Ski Cooper pass).

Yeah, I'm probably doing the same combo. Had the Indy Pass last year and it worked out really well. Picked it up mainly for Bolton and Magic. Everything else was just a bonus.

boston_e

I think we have decided that if Vermont lifts it's 14 day quarantine restriction for any coming in from out of state (or if Killington comes up with a contingency plan for that) we will do the Killington 365 passes for the family. If not, we are just going to do Pico passes.... lowest cost and risk for if the season gets disrupted in some way.