• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Season's Passes

M

medmarkco

Curious to know how many forum members purchased seasons passes this year? ASC resorted to direct phone contact this year just before the first discount deadline expired. Then prices were bumped slightly and the deadline extended. Makes me think sales are slow.

Don't want to see crowded slopes, but it's been tough for many mountains lately.

pepperdawg

P-Dawg = ASC silver.

Most of the 12-14 people in my skihouse have either silver or gold. About the same for several other houses am tight with. But most ski housefolk tend to be passholders, so these arent new bodies clogging up the slopes.

skijay

I did not buy any pass yet, and am most likely not going to either. I set aside $600 for a pass(s) this season and did nothing. I will spend the $$ for discount day tickets.

M

medmarkco

Same here. Wife and self are condo owners at Sunday River= 2x Silver

Last year ASC lost about $20mil per quarter. Hopfully with recent deals to jettison the real estate debt we'll see on-slope investments increase and a better ski experience for all. The areas need to see an increase in skier visits before making needed investments. Personally I see SR focusing on the vacation visitor and less concerned with the needs\wants of the loyal weekend warriors. The ammenities for vacationers has also declined.

We have a large group of Brits who come to SR every year. I'm surprised, because for a destination vacation, I'd prefer Mt. Tremblant, Whistler, or Vail. But thank goodness they keep coming. I did overhear more complaints last year than before regarding condition of lodging and number\quality of restuarants (many closed). Would like to see more skiers to keep the industry strong.

Charlie Schuessler

Last April, I again purchased Pre-Season Threedom Pass. $299.00 7-days a week except for 10-block out days for the season. I've got a number of NYC weekend visitors who want to ski Loon on Saturdays. Though I don't normally ski Saturdays, for thr $50.00 upgrade from the Sun-Fri pass, one Saturday and it's paid for.

I was tempted to add the ASC Pass, but I need new boots…

M

medmarkco

Charlie-
Is Loon making money? Keeping equipment\properties in good condition?

We have a number of local (MA) friends who purchase a Loon pass every year. They're not avid skiers, but ski enough to come out ahead with a pass. They don't drop much additional $$ at the area however- day trips mostly. I've heard skier visits are strong at Loon, but haven't skied there for a couple of years.

M

medmarkco

skijay said:
I did not buy any pass yet, and am most likely not going to either. I set aside $600 for a pass(s) this season and did nothing. I will spend the $$ for discount day tickets.

skijay- not a bad strategy. Gives you flexibility to ski many areas for same money if you ski 10-15 days/yr. I'm greedy... with pass in hand, I'll ski every opportunity I get- usually 60+ days/yr. Not sure how good that is for the mountain? Less than $10 revenue per day. However, we've spent a lot more at the ski shop and restaurants with the "half-price passes" of last two years.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I purchased my first season pass cause of this deal, bronze, don't care about the blackout dates due to the fact that I try to stay away from Killington on those days anyway. Normally I wouldn't bother with a season pass but these prices were too good to pass up and I normally ski a minimum of 8 days a season at Killington anyway, so it just made sense. On top of that last season I purchased 6 ME tickets for Killington and 14 Escape passes at Sugarbush. Sugarbush raised their prices significantly this year, so I'll have to cut back on my visits there. Guess this deal may have a heavy impact on a number of slopes.

Charlie Schuessler

medmarkco said:
Charlie-
Is Loon making money? Keeping equipment-properties in good condition?

We have a number of local (MA) friends who purchase a Loon pass every year. They're not avid skiers, but ski enough to come out ahead with a pass. They don't drop much additional $$ at the area however- day trips mostly. I've heard skier visits are strong at Loon, but haven't skied there for a couple of years.

Based on my observations and reports I've read in Ski Area Management, Loon Mountain is a prosperous operation. They were one of the first ski operations to offer the low price season pass and initial concerns were they pass holders would brown bag. Although brown baggers are there, they still spend on equipment, tuning and snacks. They bring their friends who buy day passes and rent equipment as well as other items.

I find that Loon reinvests in the operations as exhibited by the new North Peak lift, lodge facility improvements, summer programs, and the South Peak expansion.

M

medmarkco

Charlie Schuessler said:
Based on my observations and reports I've read in Ski Area Management, Loon Mountain is a prosperous operation.

That's good to hear- Loon is a fun mountain. I'll have to try it again this year.

jimme

Bought my Jiminy Peak 5-7 pass in May when it was $275. This gives me 7 days I can ski anytime after 3:00, and 5 weekdays of skiing anytime. Price is up $25. from last year so I expect their day rates to increase this season. Not quite the deal ASC offers, but there are no ASC areas within a 45 minute drive and I do ski about 10+ nights at Jiminy.

Jimme

62 days or less to go before we ski again! :D :D

rjc1976

I picked up an ASC bronze pass too. I've never bought a season pass before because I don't like to tie myself to one mountain. At $350 though, I can still visit other mountains on the blackout dates and still get quite the deal on skiing the rest of the winter.

Terry

ski passes

I bought the ASC bronze pass this year to go along with my Shawnee Peak pass. This gives me 7 mountains that I can ski Fromk nov -may day and night. Am shooting for at least 70 days this season. Can't wait- bring on the cold and snow. See you on the slopes!!! :beer:

S

shortski

ASC Gold and mid week Okemo/Sunapee, combined price less than All East from last year. If I'm going to get in 150 days this year I'll want to spend some time away from Killington.
18_6_109.gif

tree_skier

Sales at mount snow are up over last year but not at target. I think the goal of the price point was to convert me tickets to passholder and to get a little more then the 199 late season pass which was popular.

S

shortski

tree_skier said:
I think the goal of the price point was to convert me tickets to passholder and to get a little more then the 199 late season pass which was popular.

The main reason for the season pass pricing is to increase skier visits. I attended the public meeting with Killington, ASC and their new partner SP Land Company, LLC. The partnership allows Killington to retain a substantial interest in the new company, SP Land Company, LLC. The new company has the real estate expertise and financial resources necessary to take the slope-side village from the planning stage to fruition, but it won't happen until they get back to 1.2M skier visits, and If i remember they're currently at .8M

skijay

I went pass shopping after all. I purchased a Butternut and a Mont Orford pass.

Vortex

I am new to this forum.. Short ski's post was interesting to me. I thought the new passes were designed to convert day skiiers to pass holders.
I guess I should have figured real estate had some involvement.
I'm not their target market. I bought the pass so I can ski early and late and have variety. I have had the threedom pass for the last 5 years and ski mostly at loon but enjoy the variety option , epecailly early in the season when only a few trails are open at each resort.
I will know go to Sunday River and Killington to add some variety and extend the season. I did buy the March pass from Asc last year as well for the same reasons.

M

MsMtSnow

Pass

I'm an instructor with the Training Center at Mt. Snow so I'll be getting what they give me :)

Jessica