• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sick of fake snow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowlover

I lived in the Burlington/Stowe area for the better part of 10 years. 375 is a pretty accurate number at the summit of Jay. If they're stretching the truth, it ain't by much. They definitely average 300+ as does Stowe.

LOL!!! Sure they do....150 inches more per year than tug hill! Good luck with that!

Hmmm mount mansfield..... http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?vt5416
220 inch average at 4400 feet. Show me a single nws station reporting over 200 inches in the state of vermont? Forget nearly 400, which is western type snowfall average. You can see when snow is falling at jay peak by looking at a radar. They've really mastered the art of bullshit with that jay cloud orographic lift microclimate b.s. But hey if you east coasters want to believe jay peak gets nearly 400 inches.....all the best with that and I hope the tooth fairy leaves you lots of money!

Snowlover

Yup, the main difference between the 300+ here and 300+ in Alta is that out west they don't have the melt and freeze cycles we get here.
More complete nonsense. Jay peak is a very cold place and
Look at the average temps at wolf creek and compare them to mount mansfield. Also, IMPORTANT. LOOK AT SNOW DEPTH
http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?co9181
http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?vt5416
Average snow depth at wolf creek pass is LESS than at mount mansfield because mount mansfield is so damn cold it holds onto MORE of it's snow than wolf creek. There are more thaws at the pass level at wolf creek than at the summit of mansfield. It's temperature profile at 4400 feet is comparable to quebec city.
How can you be arguing something so ridiculous? Just because a resort tells you that?
Wolf creek has an average of 435 inches so if you believe jay peak gets 375....all the best

soposkier

All this time I thought Dover Vermont was in the same weather system as Utah! This might be my favorite thread....

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Snowlover

All this time I thought Dover Vermont was in the same weather system as Utah! This might be my favorite thread....

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

LoL....Some people do! The same people that believe jay peak gets nearly 400 inches a year!

soposkier

LoL....Some people do! The same people that believe jay peak gets nearly 400 inches a year!

Well regardless of how much snow they get or do not get, I doubt these people think they are in the same weather system. (See the freeze thaw comments.) While I have no first hand knowledge on how much snow Jay actually gets, they do truly get more than any one in the east. And for the record, all things being equal snow level wise, Id take Sugarloaf as my eastern mountain.

wa-loaf

More complete nonsense. Jay peak is a very cold place and
Look at the average temps at wolf creek and compare them to mount mansfield. Also, IMPORTANT. LOOK AT SNOW DEPTH
http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?co9181
http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?vt5416
Average snow depth at wolf creek pass is LESS than at mount mansfield because mount mansfield is so damn cold it holds onto MORE of it's snow than wolf creek. There are more thaws at the pass level at wolf creek than at the summit of mansfield. It's temperature profile at 4400 feet is comparable to quebec city.
How can you be arguing something so ridiculous? Just because a resort tells you that?
Wolf creek has an average of 435 inches so if you believe jay peak gets 375....all the best

Average temps don't mean anything. How much rain do Western resorts get in January? Everyone is going to get wet this weekend, even Stowe and Jay.

Have fun arguing with everyone. I'm off to ski some icy man made really fast.

deadheadskier

Staff member
LOL!!! Sure they do....150 inches more per year than tug hill! Good luck with that!

Hmmm mount mansfield..... http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?vt5416
220 inch average at 4400 feet. Show me a single nws station reporting over 200 inches in the state of vermont? Forget nearly 400, which is western type snowfall average. You can see when snow is falling at jay peak by looking at a radar. They've really mastered the art of bullshit with that jay cloud orographic lift microclimate b.s. But hey if you east coasters want to believe jay peak gets nearly 400 inches.....all the best with that and I hope the tooth fairy leaves you lots of money!

I lived there for many years and know what they get. I was there for 2000-2001 when Stowe got 400+; skied there 100 days that season. Don't believe me? Fine. I honestly don't care.

Snowlover

I lived there for many years and know what they get. I was there for 2000-2001 when Stowe got 400+; skied there 100 days that season. Don't believe me? Fine. I honestly don't care.

I totally believe you that you skied 100 days! If it snowed 220 inches, you could easily do that.

Did you measure the snow properly every event 24 hours a day as a weather station does?

Snowlover

Average temps don't mean anything. How much rain do Western resorts get in January? Everyone is going to get wet this weekend, even Stowe and Jay.

Have fun arguing with everyone. I'm off to ski some icy man made really fast.

Again.....Look at the snow depths....that tells the story of rain/temperature thaw! Mansfield has less melt than wolf creek. Jay wouldn't be as reliant as it on snowguns if it got that type of snow.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I totally believe you that you skied 100 days! If it snowed 220 inches, you could easily do that.

Did you measure the snow properly every event 24 hours a day as a weather station does?

I think you missed my last two sentences.

ScottySkis

Again.....Look at the snow depths....that tells the story of rain/temperature thaw! Mansfield has less melt than wolf creek. Jay wouldn't be as reliant as it on snowguns if it got that type of snow.
So this fly to SLc on weekends and don't ski the east. North Vermont no joke gets good snow fall. Rain and warm ups will destroy our stuff then we do it again. I never heard anyone on this fourm say the east is better then the West. But when we get out snow which we do it fun times. I kind of poor so I don't ski after warm weather and rai? to often so I get that. But if I I has a season pass I ski more often and go home when stuff gets icey.

Savemeasammy

Stowe is basically on the leeward side of Mansfield. It's not all that improbable that they may record more snowfall than they do at the (windy) summit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowlover

North Vermont no joke gets good snow fall. .
Absolutely. For the east they got a lot of snow! Lots of pow days to be had with around a 200 inch average. 375 inches is an incredible amount of snow and they sure as hell don't get that. It's marketing.

Snowlover

Stowe is basically on the leeward side of Mansfield. It's not all that improbable that they may record more snowfall than they do at the (windy) summit.

And this is based on what data? Show me some climate sites backing that up?

Snowlover

Buy the man a helmet so the cognitive decline and threads stop.

The fact that you would make fun of someone who has experienced head injuries over a silly snowfall in vt thread says a lot about your character as human being. You're a scumbag. Do you make fun of people in wheelchairs too? That seems like the thing a piece of shit like you would do.

snoseek

Don't even look at conditions out west. Just go, enjoy it, embrace it. It's what you got to work with, work it. You will be a better skier for it.

Savemeasammy

And this is based on what data? Show me some climate sites backing that up?

For real? I thought you might be intelligent enough to know what the windward and leeward side of mountains and ridges were. Take some initiative and look it up yourself. I'm not doing it for you.

MadMadWorld

The fact that you would make fun of someone who has experienced head injuries over a silly snowfall in vt thread says a lot about your character as human being. You're a scumbag. Do you make fun of people in wheelchairs too? That seems like the thing a piece of shit like you would do.

That explains a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.