• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sick of fake snow

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa-loaf

So you're an Olympian? Endoresement deals? Or a ski instructor/work at a ski area?
Follow the threads very closely. See who makes the personal attacks/smart ass remarks first.
At what point before that did I make a personal attack? Oh and what was the FIRST reply?....don't feed troll. I had not attacked anyone at that point. Simply gave the opinion fake snow sucks, whicha ton of people agree with except for a few ec "hardcore" skiers who don't want to admit their home turf sucks compared to outwest and are jealous. So you can clearly see who can't handle a different opinion. Oh and these opinions are actually quite common and quite frankly common sense. There not out there type of stuff.

No, they are saying that man made is what it is and they'd rather ski that than nothing.

Hawkshot99

So you're an Olympian? Endoresement deals? Or a ski instructor/work at a ski area?

Never said olympian. Just said the paycheck comes from skiing and the ski industry. Endorsments? No, but most of my gear is comped by manufactures, and all of my skiing as well. Manufactures have taken me on ski vacations to the west(the trails were lines with snow guns btw...).

Follow the threads very closely. See who makes the personal attacks/smart ass remarks first.
At what point before that did I make a personal attack? Oh and what was the FIRST reply?....don't feed troll. I had not attacked anyone at that point. Simply gave the opinion fake snow sucks, whicha ton of people agree with except for a few ec "hardcore" skiers who don't want to admit their home turf sucks compared to outwest and are jealous. So you can clearly see who can't handle a different opinion. Oh and these opinions are actually quite common and quite frankly common sense. There not out there type of stuff.

You started all the name calling. Not in this thread, but by attacking others when their opinion differs from yours.

Have fun hateing skiing. Why dont you go find a better activity you may enjoy?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Winning

QUOTES
Mikaela Shiffrin
, after winning her sixth World Cup race on Saturday...

"It’s always good to keep success going. I’m used to skiing in this kind of conditions because in the East Coast it’s like this a lot. I just kind of get tough and go."

BORMIO, Italy (Jan. 5) - Teen Mikaela Shiffrin (Eagle-Vail, CO) sliced through sloppy snow and rain to win the Bormio slalom for her third straight Audi FIS Alpine World Cup top three finish. It was the sixth World Cup slalom victory of her young career and comes just 33 days before the start of the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia. Leading by a slim .03 after the first run, Shiffrin powered through the rutted snow to hold off a hard-charging Marie Pietilae-Holmner of Sweden by .13 and bump her World Cup slalom points lead to 62 points over Austrian Marlies Schild, who finished sixth.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Manmade snow when done right in the proper conditions with the proper PATIENCE from both the mountain and the skiing/riding public can be 98% of what natural snow is.

+1 (on groomed terrain)

That was the case on about 80% of the terrain at Crotched this morning. There was still a few spots here and there of frozen granular on ice where they hadn't made snow, but those areas were few and far between. The rest? Skied almost identical to how the skiing has been after storms this season when the trails have been groomed out. Pure, quiet, butter corduroy where you only hear a wisp from your edges. Super fun surface to blast high speed carved turns on; especially with no traffic on the trails to slow you down.

Now, will it get skied off this weekend? Absolutely. It would if it were all natural as well. The rain will likely screw things up again too. Hopefully the mountain still has a bit of a snowmaking budget left to continue the awesome job they're doing at refreshing the trails when Ma Nature isn't cooperating.

And I've skied my fair share of boiler plate out west too. It's much more rare due to the dryer conditions, but I think the biggest factor is shear acreage and the vastly lower skier density on the hills. Most places out west groom terrain acreage nightly that completely dwarfs an average eastern ski area. If you groom 1400 acres of terrain and only 10K people show up, it's going to hold up a heck of a lot better than an Eastern Mountain that grooms 250 acres and 5K people show up.

Would I ever say the skiing in the East in the same stratosphere as the West? No. It's still pretty darn good much of the time. Those that don't like it, please stay home.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
There are two possibilities:

1. Are you new to the area? You've only been on the forums for a month, yet you post like crazy so I'm guessing you're a hardcore skier from out west that just moved here and want to learn about the NE. You can't live in CT, where annual snowfall is 20-60in, and expect that you'll be skiing on natural very much.

2. You were in a coma for the last 20 years and didn't know about this thing called "global warming" that's causing more freeze/thaws and inconsistent snowfalls.

I don't know why you're so worked up over no natural snow in early January. This is not uncommon.

MadMadWorld

There are two possibilities:

1. Are you new to the area? You've only been on the forums for a month, yet you post like crazy so I'm guessing you're a hardcore skier from out west that just moved here and want to learn about the NE. You can't live in CT, where annual snowfall is 20-60in, and expect that you'll be skiing on natural very much.

2. You were in a coma for the last 20 years and didn't know about this thing called "global warming" that's causing more freeze/thaws and inconsistent snowfalls.

I don't know why you're so worked up over no natural snow in early January. This is not uncommon.

Oh boy I smell another exciting "global warming" thread.

farlep99

I haven't been skiing that long. BUT, I'm done skiing fake snow. Someone really needs to make a snowgun that pumps out snow that doesn't turn to ice/crud in a second instead of using 40 year old tech. I'm not going skiing anymore unless it's real snow. I'm sick of it. I just don't have fun in ice/crud crap. It's really quite amazing how quickly that stuff turns to shit. They were blowing snow yesterday at the place in ct I went all night. I went in the morning first thing and ALREADY it turns to crud/hardpack. It was 0 degrees with low humidity out so "perfect" snow making weather My ski's were chattering like crazy.(they don't chatter at all on real snow groomers) That's how hard it was already. Nothing like skiing the real stuff groomed where it's beautiful smooth and much more fun. It's actual SNOW you're skiing. I've decided I will never buy a pass anywhere near me. Just not enough natural snow.I'm only buying a lift ticket when it's snowed(doesn't have to be a lot of snow....even 2 inches is enough to drastically change the conditions assuming they don't blow the fake crap at the same time)

In closing....snow guns suck(except to quickly build a base for natural to fall on)

"Perfect" snowmaking weather is actually more like 18-22degrees.

That aside most people prefer skiing natural snow & most people who ski a lot notice the difference between natural & fake. I guess some people only ski when there's fresh snow & that's your prerogative, but you'll find you won't be skiing too often in the northeast. And if we filter out places where twigs & weeds stick out of the ground from time to time (which we know you don't like) then you're not leaving yourself many options

ScottySkis

You're lucky. You're in a good location. Have a few choices. Imagine being in ct? Tug hill is a 4 hour drive so that's an overnighter for me. I could never handle 8 + hours of driving and skiing all day. Makes more sense to stay in a lodge and get a few days skiing in. I image those ski area's south of buffalo do well as well. They get dumped on.

But also keep in mind my favorite hill in Catskills because it depends on natural snow is great maybe 50% of time there open. I like good machine made snow. Hunter in Catskills started the fan guns which makes great snow at lots of hills.

Snowlover

So are you saying the best skiing in the east is in Western/Central New York simply because they get the most amount of snow?
Obviously vertical/acreage ect does not compare to new england. Let's just state the obvious. If tug hill had the vertical of whiteface or vermont it would be turned into east coast whistler mega resort. If I had my choice between good snow at a tiny area with little vertical or whiteface with crap man made stuff, then the choice is obvious for me. The tiny area with a lot of snow. Obviously the best would vermont WITH a ton of natural snow.

Snowlover

Dover, vt forecast, Now vt hasn't had any snow in about a week if I'm not mistaken?
Tonight Increasing clouds, with a low around 13. Light and variable wind.
Friday A chance of snow, mainly between 9am and 4pm. Cloudy, with a high near 30. South wind 5 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
Friday Night A slight chance of snow, freezing rain, and sleet before 1am, then a chance of freezing rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Saturday Rain, mainly after 7am. High near 50. South wind 8 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
Saturday Night Rain, mainly before 4am. The rain could be heavy at times. Low around 33. South wind 9 to 11 mph becoming west after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
Sunday A chance of rain and snow showers before 1pm, then a chance of rain showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Sunday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27.
Monday Mostly sunny, with a high near 43.
Monday Night A chance of rain showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 35. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Tuesday A chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Tuesday Night A chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Wednesday A chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 36. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Wednesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 20.
Thursday Mostly sunny, with a high near 30.

Alta, utah forecast http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=40.59518511581991&lon=-111.70225529931486#.Us8QUdJDu58

This Afternoon Snow. High near 24. Breezy, with a west wind around 29 mph, with gusts as high as 43 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible.
Tonight Snow likely, mainly before midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 15. Wind chill values as low as zero. Blustery, with a west northwest wind 17 to 22 mph decreasing to 9 to 14 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Friday Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 22. West southwest wind 10 to 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
Friday Night A 50 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22. West southwest wind around 9 mph. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
Saturday A 40 percent chance of snow, mainly after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 38. Breezy, with a southwest wind 15 to 23 mph. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
Saturday Night Snow. Low around 15. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.
Sunday Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 15. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
Sunday Night A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 8. Blustery.
Monday A slight chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 29.

How on god's green earth anyone can even compare the east to the west is beyond me. And this is just the weather. It's not even taking into account terrain acerage. But search internet forums and you'll find a gang of jackass's trying to convince by personal attacks that the east is better then the west. You can "handle" more by being an east coaster. I can try to play hockey with speed skates on. It will tough and hard to handle. I wouldn't call that enjoyable LOL If you like ice/fake snow crap, the east is best.

Oh this is coming from a southern new englander.

Snowlover

Oh and just for good measure. Check this http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/mountain/
and follow the radar and jay peak. 375 inches average my ass. Just look at the damn radar and you can see when it's snowing where. Radar will pick up small scale microclimate precip. It can pick up a tiny little thunderstorm.

bdfreetuna

Dude, what is your vendetta posting upcoming weather reports comparing New England and Utah right now?

Enough people on suicide watch right now without being directly provoked...

Snowlover

Dude, what is your vendetta posting upcoming weather reports comparing New England and Utah right now?

Enough people on suicide watch right now without being directly provoked...

Because I want some damn snow and I'm frustrated. lol

MadMadWorld

Dover, vt forecast, Now vt hasn't had any snow in about a week if I'm not mistaken?
Tonight Increasing clouds, with a low around 13. Light and variable wind.
Friday A chance of snow, mainly between 9am and 4pm. Cloudy, with a high near 30. South wind 5 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
Friday Night A slight chance of snow, freezing rain, and sleet before 1am, then a chance of freezing rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Saturday Rain, mainly after 7am. High near 50. South wind 8 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
Saturday Night Rain, mainly before 4am. The rain could be heavy at times. Low around 33. South wind 9 to 11 mph becoming west after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
Sunday A chance of rain and snow showers before 1pm, then a chance of rain showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Sunday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27.
Monday Mostly sunny, with a high near 43.
Monday Night A chance of rain showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 35. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Tuesday A chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Tuesday Night A chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Wednesday A chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 36. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Wednesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 20.
Thursday Mostly sunny, with a high near 30.

Alta, utah forecast http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=40.59518511581991&lon=-111.70225529931486#.Us8QUdJDu58

This Afternoon Snow. High near 24. Breezy, with a west wind around 29 mph, with gusts as high as 43 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible.
Tonight Snow likely, mainly before midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 15. Wind chill values as low as zero. Blustery, with a west northwest wind 17 to 22 mph decreasing to 9 to 14 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Friday Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 22. West southwest wind 10 to 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
Friday Night A 50 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22. West southwest wind around 9 mph. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
Saturday A 40 percent chance of snow, mainly after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 38. Breezy, with a southwest wind 15 to 23 mph. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
Saturday Night Snow. Low around 15. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.
Sunday Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 15. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
Sunday Night A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 8. Blustery.
Monday A slight chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 29.

How on god's green earth anyone can even compare the east to the west is beyond me. And this is just the weather. It's not even taking into account terrain acerage. But search internet forums and you'll find a gang of jackass's trying to convince by personal attacks that the east is better then the west. You can "handle" more by being an east coaster. I can try to play hockey with speed skates on. It will tough and hard to handle. I wouldn't call that enjoyable LOL If you like ice/fake snow crap, the east is best.

Oh this is coming from a southern new englander.

Now that is some good trolling

deadheadskier

Staff member
I lived in the Burlington/Stowe area for the better part of 10 years. 375 is a pretty accurate number at the summit of Jay. If they're stretching the truth, it ain't by much. They definitely average 300+ as does Stowe.

wa-loaf

I lived in the Burlington/Stowe area for the better part of 10 years. 375 is a pretty accurate number at the summit of Jay. If they're stretching the truth, it ain't by much. They definitely average 300+ as does Stowe.

Yup, the main difference between the 300+ here and 300+ in Alta is that out west they don't have the melt and freeze cycles we get here.

Status
Not open for further replies.