• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

gittist

"...but my base case is that ski resorts are really underestimating the net "P.I.T.A. factor" some of these rules & changes will be to people, and it will lead to a not insignificant number of people saying, "screw it"."

I agree and "screw it' is putting it mildly.

"Covid hysteria..." Good choice of words. Is COVID a concern? Yes.

But a lot of people, including those in control are on the hysterical wagon.

I can this already. Assuming I go skiing this year (see P.I.T.A. factors) I'll be on a chair lift all by my lonesome, no one in sight except for someone will a megaphone a hundred yards away yelling for me to pull my mask back up!

1dog

Yup. You have to live your life. And as non-PC as it sounds, for most people the risk of this virus is greatly over-worried to the point that I think 100 years from now it will be looked back upon and psychologically studied as a true hysteria, in the literal as opposed to the figurative use of that word.
Yes, but
2-3 years -not gonna take a 100 to see how ridiculous the 'science-based' lock down and subsequent restrictions were.

No country has ever locked down due to a pandemic. Europe locked down ( and using the definition of insane, is gonna do it again)
1st 2 weeks were to relieve the hospital overload - which never happened - then they( gov and 'science') moved the goal posts - and continue to do that.

Melbourne AS just came off of 111 days of severe lock down - devastated the economy (ya THINK?)

masks are not needed, then good, then they are no good, herd, then no, Sweden, then Cuomo says every death is on Trumps hands ( after he begged for vents, hospitals and the like - got them all in record time)

death rate in US lowest week since March 22nd - 1st week we started. Client today , Dad had and recovered from Covid, passed due to stroke - marked Covid ( of course)

Gov. people (CDC) are no different than any other people - subject to mistakes, bribery, following orders of senior leadership regardless of their own conscience- maybe feeding family is main concern- or worse- pride.

Just go do what you can and want, respect the choices of others, but don't restrict others freedoms because you believe one source and some don't know what to believe, other than 99.97% chance of recovery if we get it.

I'm not going to any rallies - masks or not - but skiing/skinning/riding in open air with a few strangers? Hell yeah, I'll take that chance.
C'MON MAAAAN!

BenedictGomez

So, smartly, MRG knows that while many of us parents are willing to skirt the insane and irrational quarantining rules - there's no way in hell we're going to put our kids in a position of having to lie. So, that's it. Game's over. (I'm not criticizing MRG in any way, I'm just pointing out that they've figured out a very effective way of keeping day tripping kids from "bad" counties out of their kids programs...).

Smart? I think that's flipping horrible. And using world history as a guide, I'm uncomfortable with it, and in the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "that's all I'm uh gonn' say bout' that". If you know, you know.

zoomzoom

hey, mr dog.
can you provide a link to your claim of: "death rate in US lowest week since March 22nd"

your alternate facts are certainly confusitating. here, look at this ( under where it shows 233,990 dead). this is not a political statement, but an educational tool
https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en

zoomzoom

hey, mr dog.
can you provide a link to your claim of: "death rate in US lowest week since March 22nd"

your alternate facts are certainly confusitating. here, look at this ( under where it shows 233,990 dead). this is not a political statement, but an educational tool

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Y'all have been making your points damn clear as mud for the past 7.5 months... is it enough yet? No one is gonna change what "side" they're on over some posters on a ski forum.

It snowed 5" at Killington, btw.

zoomzoom

i humbly sit corrected BG, and apologize here. with some digging i've some found that the OWS has selected three vaccines to be funded for phase three trials here in the US. am reading that phase three trials last from 1 to 3 years. following approval, a vaccine may enter phase 4, with patients being monitored for long term side-effects. other vaccines under the WHO umbrella are further along also.
https://www.raps.org/news-and-articles/news-articles/2020/3/covid-19-vaccine-tracker
https://www.antidote.me/blog/how-long-do-clinical-trial-phases-take

Los

Smart? I think that's flipping horrible. And using world history as a guide, I'm uncomfortable with it, and in the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "that's all I'm uh gonn' say bout' that". If you know, you know.

I probably should have said “sneaky” instead of “smart”. And you’re right, it is horrible now that I think about it.

abc

gittist

Let's look at numbers. The following is from the CDC website as of Oct 30 at 12:16 PM.

228,100 deaths divided by 8,924,548 known cases = 2.6% death rate.

Are these numbers accurate, as in within 10%? Probably not, and I doubt anyone has accurate numbers. But the above is probably no better or worse than anyone else's.

The death number probably includes people who fell off of ladders or died in a car accident but yet had COVID in their system so they count as a COVID death. That's not right and it only adds to the hysteria.

The biggest issue is the number of cases. I've seen numbers that say the number of cases is 6 times higher than what is reported (CDC study), to as much as 20 times higher (W.H.O.). So the adjusted death rates are as follows:

6 times: 228,100 /(6*8,924,548 ) = 0.43% or .0043 [Approximately 4 people of every thousand will die]

20 times: 228,100/(20* 8,924,548 ) = 0.13% or .0013

What's the actual number? Probably somewhere in between but it's certainly less than 2.6%. Is it worth what we've we've been dealing with, or will deal with by trying to go skiing?

1dog

hey, mr dog.

Oompa,

According to this, I'm a little off- but still, point remains - its low.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/...hart&time=2020-03-07..2020-08-20&country=~USA

Then, take the 816 and remove 94% ( that pass away due to comorbidity ) and you end up with 49 poor souls that pass away due to China virus.

Wish it on no one, but if we're healthy or, free, willing to take the chance, as Moses said ' Let my people ski'

the 30% increase in suicide is only one of many unintended consequences of lock downs.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/micae...abovebase-suicides-than-covid-deaths-n2573278

We shall not grow wiser before we learn that much that we have done was very foolish.
—F. A. Hayek

fbrissette

Oompa,

According to this, I'm a little off- but still, point remains - its low.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/...hart&time=2020-03-07..2020-08-20&country=~USA

Then, take the 816 and remove 94% ( that pass away due to comorbidity ) and you end up with 49 poor souls that pass away due to China virus.

Wish it on no one, but if we're healthy or, free, willing to take the chance, as Moses said ' Let my people ski'

the 30% increase in suicide is only one of many unintended consequences of lock downs.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/micae...abovebase-suicides-than-covid-deaths-n2573278

We shall not grow wiser before we learn that much that we have done was very foolish.
—F. A. Hayek

Research data from many countries on excess death rate (scientific paper, not crap misreported by most news sources, from the left and right) indicate that COVID-19 related deaths are UNDER REPORTED.

One example of many: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2768086

[FONT=&quot]'Between March 1, 2020, and April 25, 2020, a total of 505 059 deaths were reported in the US; 87 001 (95% CI, 86 578-87 423) were excess deaths, of which 56 246 (65%) were attributed to COVID-19'[/FONT]

Edd

Research data from many countries on excess death rate (scientific paper, not crap misreported by most news sources, from the left and right) indicate that COVID-19 related deaths are UNDER REPORTED.

One example of many: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2768086

[FONT=&quot]'Between March 1, 2020, and April 25, 2020, a total of 505 059 deaths were reported in the US; 87 001 (95% CI, 86 578-87 423) were excess deaths, of which 56 246 (65%) were attributed to COVID-19'[/FONT]

Probably not gonna sway someone using the term “China virus”.

1dog

Avian, Ebola, MERS, Spanish,Hong Kong, etc.

Point taken though on totals. We may never know. As you point out FB, there a lot of sources out there on both sides that aren't all vetted.

two quotes that fit ( one real - I think?)

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." ~Abraham Lincoln

to learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize
Voltaire

djd66

Another way to look at it:

In 2020, 22,000 people died from the flu. That makes Covid 10X more deadly than the flu.

Almost 100,000 people were diagnosed yesterday. Some may believe this virus is over-rated, it’s not.

mbedle

Avian, Ebola, MERS, Spanish,Hong Kong, etc.

Point taken though on totals. We may never know. As you point out FB, there a lot of sources out there on both sides that aren't all vetted.

two quotes that fit ( one real - I think?)

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." ~Abraham Lincoln

to learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize
Voltaire

Both wrong, with one being funny and the other from a piece of white trash named Strom.