• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

BenedictGomez

good memory. yea both my parents are dentists and i always knew that they knew about my smoking because of my teeth and it was this sort of unspoken shame. both parents smoke pot, my mom even more than i do, but the cigs i assume have their own unique teeth staining grossness

I dont GET this. My best friend's wife is a dentist (and I've known her since she was 12 years old), and SHE smokes. WTactualHell?!?!?!?!?!?

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Reminds me of the quote attributed to William F. Buckley ' I'll take the 1st 100 names in the phone book for Congress over the faculty at Harvard any day.'

I never heard that, but it's pure genius, and so true. We'd be Venezuela in < 20 years were Harvard in charge.

Zermatt

What's going on in Canada?

BC is now recommending against travel within the province, not just between provinces. I think Revelstoke is opening soon, but their social media posts are indicating maybe they are not (they have tons of snow).

On top of that, their season pass product currently offers no protection for intra province travel restrictions.

VTKilarney

Two statements can be simultaneously true:
1) You haven’t gotten COVID (that you know of) from dining out
2) Dining out increases your risk of contracting COVID.

nhskier1969

What's going on in Canada?

BC is now recommending against travel within the province, not just between provinces. I think Revelstoke is opening soon, but their social media posts are indicating maybe they are not (they have tons of snow).

On top of that, their season pass product currently offers no protection for intra province travel restrictions.
Canada probably feels like they live in the apartment above a meth lab right now.

1dog

only 10% of life long smokers get lung cancer. Do you want to chance that?
I'll never forget a WSJ piece at least 15-20 years ago. Insurance Institute of America did a study - average person has 3 high cost medical issues in life. . . . . I forget the bar, but say it was $15K - something close to that. I couldn't figure out why my company-provided healthcare was same whether you smoked or not. Made no sense. Life insurance of course is higher if you smoke.
Bottom line: Average person has 3 of those costly medical issues ( heart attack, cancer, car accident, ski accident, etc.)

Smokers average one. Most don't make it to a second or third - hence cheaper to medically insure over time.

Actuaries.

EPB

I dont GET this. My best friend's wife is a dentist (and I've known her since she was 12 years old), and SHE smokes. WTactualHell?!?!?!?!?!?
We're all human and have our vices. It's one thing to come to a conclusion to do/not do something, but it's another to actually refrain from doing it.

Last edited:

1dog

Ive seen nurses and doctors..smoking outside of a cancer ward...
Have had quite a few medical personnel as customers over the years - why do nurses ( mostly nurses) smoke so much? Reason they always give: We see it all, and its pretty obvious there are so many things that will kill a person - if it ain't lung cancer its this or that. . . . . and they really enjoy it.

I quit the day my 1 year old came over, lifted the pack of Kools up, placed them down, looked at me puffin' away. . . . my parents didn't smoke.

May 22 - many many years ago. No reason for coffee or sex if you can't blow a fag after. . . . . . was so proud of myself - until a month later I realized I was smoking a bag a weed a week. . .so late June I quit that too. . . . save a lot of money. . . . could never do Middle Earth T to B without stopping if I still did. . . . .

Zermatt

cdskier

I wonder if Vail is giving back the money for Vermont's quarantine. Anybody request one yet?
From the article the answer is "no" because as far as they're concerned, you have choices in other states.

Jamie Storrs, a senior communications manager for Vail, said Tuesday that season pass sales are up about 18% at all of the company’s resorts collectively. Vail isn’t issuing refunds for Epic passholders who missed a September deadline to cancel.

“If someone is in Connecticut and can’t abide by the quarantine restrictions Vermont has in place, we do have Hunter Mountain in New York and several ski resorts in New Hampshire,” he said.