• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

JimG.

Staff member
what ignore button?
Click on avatar, choose ignore by pushing ignore button.

Edit: Update! It seems that I can ignore you, but you can't ignore me. As a moderator and staff member you aren't allowed to ignore me.

Sorry to ruin your evening.

abc

Click on avatar, choose ignore by pushing ignore button.

Edit: Update! It seems that I can ignore you, but you can't ignore me. As a moderator and staff member you aren't allowed to ignore me.

Sorry to ruin your evening.
Frankly I'm having such entertainment poking fun here that my evening is far from ruined. :)

nhskier1969

Guys, I was just wondering. It seems in this thread alot of you have done some research on this. I have tried to google it but I couldn't find anything. None of the news outlets have put any numbers out there. I just wondering, thats why I had a question. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

KustyTheKlown

Not knowing the answer to that seems to be the entire problem.

i do think its funny that he poses these grand questions to this ski message board. if one of us had the answers to these questions we would not be here posting about snowmaking progress in vermont.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Guys, I was just wondering. It seems in this thread alot of you have done some research on this. I have tried to google it but I couldn't find anything. None of the news outlets have put any numbers out there. I just wondering, thats why I had a question. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

The "news" isn't worth shit if you're looking for numbers, percentages, etc. This is going to take a couple years of mathematical modelling and academic studies for us to have an idea on number of deaths, cases, death rate, etc. And even then the ranges for those estimates is going to be huuuuuuge.

BenedictGomez

what is the actual number of positive coronavirus cases in the united states if you count asymptomatic people.

There's a statistical theory that up to 25% or more of the country may have been infected already. It's based off dialysis sample testing from late June. At June 30, if extrapolated to the nation, 10% were infected at that point. By now, if it held, you'd be over 25% or more. Pretty clever idea, but obviously you need to use caution using that kind of low 'N' info to make broad conclusions. I'd like to see this replicated 50 times, 1 per state, and see what they come up with.

fbrissette

Don't relay on news outlet for hard data. Search within Google Scholar for access to science. Overwhelming at first, but you will get access to the unedited/apolitical data, Some info may be be behind a pay wall, but sci-hub is there for that.

1dog

At last report - Hospitals receive $13K per Covid case and $39K for ventilator Covid case - these were April or early May numbers. CARES Act

Those who I know in that business say hospitals are all suffering from huge shutdowns of elective surgery and of course the much-publicized delay in heart and cancer screenings due to fear of going to a hospital in general.

Jim G I don't think anyone wants to think about it, but it is ( real or perception - and I'll place my take at 20/80 respectively ) affecting everyone, and I mean everyone. Your last post was spot on to where I stand - if worried, stay home, if you choose to live life without fear, carry on.
The administrative state is making that impossible. They love the control, and they will not let it go easily.

People don't want to talk about politics involved but I. don't know HOW that is done since what they proclaim from on high affects everyones day to day life.

When the woman asked Franklin what they came upon with at the Constitutional Convention in Philly, he quipped ' a Republic, if you can keep it.'

Apparently not for more than 250 or so years . .

Edd

The administrative state is making that impossible. They love the control, and they will not let it go easily.
I don’t personally know a single person who’s having a good time right now. What‘s your basis for this claim?

drjeff

I don’t personally know a single person who’s having a good time right now. What‘s your basis for this claim?

I think the initial point is that all the additional control that government has taken over the population this year, on top of the control that they have been adding more and more to over the last 10-20 years, is creating many issues of frustration, and negative psychological effects on so many.

How often do you hear, especially prior to the numerous roll backs that the current President's administration made to many regulations (not COVID related) that allowed more personal choices, politicians enacting legislation that gives us more freedoms, rather than restricts them? And sure, some of what the lawmakers pass may be under the pretenses of "its good for X" however that often leaves out the follow up sentence, which is that is "comes at the expense of Y"

So many of the perceived societal problems don't need to be "solved" by the government (in spite of what they, the lawmakers tell us) since the consumer market often dictates to society via pressure on businesses in the form of purchasing or not purchasing goods that they want, not goods that they're told they should be buying as a result of regulations passed.

Think about it this way, are people generally more "happy" when they're doing something they want? Or are they more happy when they're doing something they're told they have to/should be doing?

Edd

I think the initial point is that all the additional control that government has taken over the population this year, on top of the control that they have been adding more and more to over the last 10-20 years, is creating many issues of frustration, and negative psychological effects on so many.

How often do you hear, especially prior to the numerous roll backs that the current President's administration made to many regulations (not COVID related) that allowed more personal choices, politicians enacting legislation that gives us more freedoms, rather than restricts them? And sure, some of what the lawmakers pass may be under the pretenses of "its good for X" however that often leaves out the follow up sentence, which is that is "comes at the expense of Y"

So many of the perceived societal problems don't need to be "solved" by the government (in spite of what they, the lawmakers tell us) since the consumer market often dictates to society via pressure on businesses in the form of purchasing or not purchasing goods that they want, not goods that they're told they should be buying as a result of regulations passed.

Think about it this way, are people generally more "happy" when they're doing something they want? Or are they more happy when they're doing something they're told they have to/should be doing?
My answer to the last paragraph is people are happier doing what they want, IMO. I’m just missing the part of who’s loving the control. It seems to me everyone is unhappy, from the prez on down.

KustyTheKlown

My answer to the last paragraph is people are happier doing what they want, IMO. I’m just missing the part of who’s loving the control. It seems to me everyone is unhappy, from the prez on down.

its all a ploy by big mask.

1dog

A sad, but great overview of my world view comes in this 14 minute clip - sad because Walter passed yesterday at 84. He taught me a lot in the last 26 or so years I've followed him. You may not agree, but at least you'll see how half the country perceives the Statist State. Sad also because he thinks we may no longer believe we are the great country we ( are, were, hope to be).
PS his last column just happened to be posted yesterday as well - its full of facts - which is all he ever relied on.

Rest In Peace Mr. Williams

cdskier

Didn't you know that Cuomo, Murphy, Baker, Scott, and all the other northeast governors get together every night on Zoom and have a big party drinking Champagne while laughing about all the new lockdowns and restrictions they plan to implement next?