• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown (night): Wednesday, 12/27/2006

bvibert

Staff member
It wasn't very crowded tonight, I mostly skied right on to the lift. I have no idea what it was like during the day though.

loafer89

I plan to be there tomorrow evening around 5pm and we will probably ski until around 8pm or so. I will be back on friday night after two days of snowmaking can turn things around.

I wonder if we will be skiing through guns on wednesday night as NOAA forecasts a low in the low 20's.

bvibert

Staff member
I'll bet if the weather allows they'll have guns going while we ski on Wednesday night. I think we're at the point where they need to blow snow every chance they get.

Greg

Staff member
Yesterday was no where near as busy as today. The mountain doesn't really look any worse than yesterday, but there is a lot of brown. This is my observation from the base as I didn't ski today. A squall blew through before noon. With temps in the 30's right now I expect they will resurface tonight.

I will be there tonight. I hope to get on skis between 6 and 7 pm. 7:00 pm at the sun deck if we don't hook up earlier? Who's in?

2knees

how is the daughter liking the puffins class? and skiing in general?

Greg

Staff member
how is the daughter liking the puffins class? and skiing in general?

Yesterday was more of getting used to walking around in boots and stuff. By the time they were ready to actually ski, she only took a few short slides and then didn't want to do it anymore. I was thinking she was just getting tired. Today she simply REFUSED to ski at all during the entire lesson and ended up playing with the toys and handing them out to the other kids...

So....we went inside for 45 minutes and had our snack. She still fought me a bit going back out but I said I just wanted her to "slide" for me a few times. A few times turned into 90 minutes and I just kept picking her up and hiking her back up to the top of the practice area. She loved it and wanted to keep skiing. When the snow squall blew through, she was thrilled, trying to catch snowflakes on her tongue.

She can wedge okay, but she tends to veer to the left. She probably ended up making three times the number of "runs" that the other kids in the class did earlier in the morning though. I saw Catul today and chatted with him a bit. He was taking his 4 year old up the lift today! We'll get there. So - all is well and Abby is looking forward to tomorrow. She passed out in the car on the way home! Debating whether to bring my skis tomorrow and see if she'll try the lift. She says she wants to.

Grassi21

Yesterday was more of getting used to walking around in boots and stuff. By the time they were ready to actually ski, she only took a few short slides and then didn't want to do it anymore. I was thinking she was just getting tired. Today she simply REFUSED to ski at all during the entire lesson and ended up playing with the toys and handing them out to the other kids...

So....we went inside for 45 minutes and had our snack. She still fought me a bit going back out but I said I just wanted her to "slide" for me a few times. A few times turned into 90 minutes and I just kept picking her up and hiking her back up to the top of the practice area. She loved it and wanted to keep skiing. When the snow squall blew through, she was thrilled, trying to catch snowflakes on her tongue.

She can wedge okay, but she tends to veer to the left. She probably ended up making three times the number of "runs" that the other kids in the class did earlier in the morning though. I saw Catul today and chatted with him a bit. He was taking his 4 year old up the lift today! We'll get there. So - all is well and Abby is looking forward to tomorrow. She passed out in the car on the way home! Debating whether to bring my skis tomorrow and see if she'll try the lift. She says she wants to.

That's great Greg. It had to be a great feeling for you when those few times turned into 90 minutes. She'll be following Dad down a bumped up Nor Easter by the end of the season! ;-)

2knees

this post made my day sittin here in an empty office building. thanks. cant wait to start mine, although i'm starting to think i'll just wait till next year.

JimG.

Staff member
As you can see from Greg's experience, 4 year olds are fickle...one minute they want to go skiing, the next they want nothing to do with it. My 4 year old James is the same...one minute he's telling me he wants to ski without help, then he's screaming for me to help him as he slides away.

Indulge them...let them think they are making all the decisions. That's why she skied for 90 minutes after wanting nothing to do with it. She felt like she was in control.

You did exactly the right thing. Encourage, but do not demand.

loafer89

I am in, but I wonder what the colder temperatures will do to the snow tonight. It's 38F here at home, so I imagine it must be close to freezing at Sundown.

We plan to be on ski's by around 6pm.

bvibert

Staff member
I'll be there between 6:30 and 7:00. If I don't make it to the sun deck by 7:00 I'll catch up with ya...

Catul

I saw Catul today and chatted with him a bit. He was taking his 4 year old up the lift today! We'll get there.

Good to see you today, Greg - you and your daughter looked like you were having a great time when you came back out later on! My 4 year old really wanted to go on the chair lift, it was like a big ride for her - and she knew that her older sister had taken three days on her first week out before summoning the courage to ride the chairlift, so maybe it was a big deal for her to "beat" her older sister at something :)

I don't know if you saw me skiing down with my 4 year old, but it was pretty much just me making a reverse wedge down the slope and her holding on - there were a few parts where she was managing it on her own, and those made it worth it; I was pretty beat at the end of this session! I was just happy that she seemed to enjoy being out there, and hopefully she'll make some good wedge turns in class tomorrow. My wife and I are planning to ski Friday morning with the girls after their Puffins class, so that should be fun.

See you out there tomorrow :)