• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing..helping or hurting

dblskifanatic

Guilty as charged. :)

I distinctly remember doing 1 week plus a couple weekends in the late 2000's. So in 10 years time, I went from 10 days a year to minimum of 20 a year. (this year maybe the exception, not too hopeful for the 20, aiming for minimum of 10 :( )

Part of the change driving this not mentioned by DrJeff: the graying of the skiing population. I'm at the tail end of the boomers. In the last 10 years, I've moved into the part of career (and life) where I have a lot more flexibility, period! So more time to ski. I'd say I would have skied UP TO 20 days a year even if there's no mega pass ever existed. The mega passes made it possible that I exceed that 20 a year "minimum". Some years as much as 40 days! :)

So yeah, if your favorite "off the beaten path" mountain is crowded even midweek? It's because I'm there (and other "late boomers" like me)! ;)

I get it! when our kids were learning we were 5- 10 days per season skiers. As our kids got better we moved into the 25-30 days group primarily because were were deal hunters and it got expensive with 6 of us going. Then as the three older boys moved out and we had one son left we switched to season passes and constantly hit 50 days per season especially in Colorado where the season was longer and even got to 63 one year. This season is starting slow not that we are back east and I have not been really motivated. Our only season pass is for A Basin so three trips are planned for Colorado. Might get a dozen days in this year so I will do my best to limit the crowds by 2. Reality I want to be in the crowds!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Crowds existed in the past. You'd wait for 10 minutes, ride a 10 minute lift, then navigate the ski run for 10 minutes. Now you ride a 5 minute high-speed lift, shred 1500 vertical feet of consistent corduroy on skis that do 95% of the work for you in 3 minutes. Now the wait to ride the lift is 22 minutes.

For me it's a social sport on the weekends. That hasn't changed this year. Midweek I chase the snow. I'm waiting on that but I can remember in 2018 the 5 days of 50+ degree temps completely wiping out all northeastern snowpack...it recharged and we had a good spring....but I didn't leave the local hills for 4 or 5 weeks. I'm not stir crazy yet lol.

ss20

If you're getting stressed because of the crowds, reservations, and poor weather hang it up his year and ride a bike this winter.

The negative sentiment in this thread is somewhat surprising. We're some of the most dedicated skiers in the world. So many people on this board drive 3...4...5...6+ hours every weekend December-April- the fact that that amount of passion could be extinguished entirely by the BS is surprising. I'm skiing every free day I have from Thanksgiving til things melt in April and then Superstar in May. I'm adapting- my ski club didn't rent it's Vermont house this year, I've got to deal with all the travel bans like the rest of y'all.... but Covid or not I'll find a way.

JimG.

Staff member
Despite my grievances on here due to issues with Vail, the joy on my son's face as he continues to develop his skills makes the hassles worth it. I'll feel the same next season when my daughter starts.

My own personal desire to ski and the experience I want is a distant second to their experience and I assume that will be the case for many years
You assume correctly.

JimG.

Staff member
If you're getting stressed because of the crowds, reservations, and poor weather hang it up his year and ride a bike this winter.

The negative sentiment in this thread is somewhat surprising. We're some of the most dedicated skiers in the world. So many people on this board drive 3...4...5...6+ hours every weekend December-April- the fact that that amount of passion could be extinguished entirely by the BS is surprising. I'm skiing every free day I have from Thanksgiving til things melt in April and then Superstar in May. I'm adapting- my ski club didn't rent it's Vermont house this year, I've got to deal with all the travel bans like the rest of y'all.... but Covid or not I'll find a way.
I've skied 8 days at Belle, Gore and Platty.

2 powder days and a great packed powder bump day. The rest OK at best. Kind of a standard year so far except the late start.
Still skied whole days and enjoyed every turn.

ss20

I've skied 8 days at Belle, Gore and Platty.

2 powder days and a great packed powder bump day. The rest OK at best. Kind of a standard year so far except the late start.
Still skied whole days and enjoyed every turn.

I've also had a few good days....we did get 2-3 feet a couple weeks ago...sure it's gone now but it damn sure was nice!

Northern VT/NH/ME is the only places you could say this is a "historically" bad start to winter. They never had any natural up there and got all the rain

kingslug

7 days in so far, 1 right after the storm. So far pretty good. I'll still manage to get 30 days in. Last year a lot of people where complaining about conditions but I got 11 Eastern pow days in..That was a record. I'll chase it but its going to have to be East coast only for now.

Edd

Skiing is very much helping me. I’ve gone 6 days, 5 of them alone but I’ll take it.

COVID-wise, there was a moment at Sunapee last week where the lift line was >5 minutes, meaning there were quite a few people around me. Everyone was distanced and masked but I got a bit skeeved out for some reason.

I had every intention of day tripping to Cranmore today but talked myself out of it because it’s NYE day with limited terrain and I’m just not in the mood for crowds. Yesterday at Gunstock I got some early runs starting at 8am and bailed when the lot filled up.

Planning on BW for Monday and very hopeful for fresh snow and open ungroomed terrain.

kingslug

Hunter is in pretty good shape considering the rain they got..lines are normal..not bad so far..
This was ski able after the storm..gnarliest..non run there..right under the north lift20201231_102238.jpg

WWF-VT

I have been at my place at Sugarbush since before Christmas and have not bothered to ski this season. I have been hiking 2-4 hours a day on many of the trails here in the Mad River Valley and it's a great way to get outdoors and avoid crowds and people. Sugarbush has limited terrain open and conditions that can best be described as "meh".

drjeff

151779342_10164757705600032_506417953005795937_n.png

Obviously this sport we all love so dearly seems to be thriving at one of the smallest ski areas out there based on this post that Yawgoo Valley put up on their social media pages today!

Good for the little guys, and good for the sport in these crazy times!

jimmywilson69

Skiing was helping until last Wednesday when it began hurting.

Had a high speed collision with my buddy on our first lunch run. Probably both going 35-40 MPH.

Had surgery to repair my right clavicle last Thursday...

Season over ☹

drjeff

Had a high speed collision with my buddy on our first lunch run. Probably both going 35-40 MPH.

Season over ☹

Ugh... Sorry to hear that. Hope the healing process goes uneventfully and comfortably!

ss20

View attachment 50394

Obviously this sport we all love so dearly seems to be thriving at one of the smallest ski areas out there based on this post that Yawgoo Valley put up on their social media pages today!

Good for the little guys, and good for the sport in these crazy times!

At Thunder Ridge it's my understanding that the office voicemail is full each day as we, too, have seen record interest. It's been fantastic to see so many people coming out and enjoying what we have. And of course, some of the best conditions in the past decade!

urungus

Season over ☹
That sucks, I know how you feel as I lost most of last season after breaking my arm at Whistler. Hope the rehab goes well

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Best part of the last 2.5 months for me - since I called a hiatus to outdoor music making after our 11-29 show.