• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing on the Cheap - 2009-10 Thread

hammer

Please check in with an Attitash TR. We don't get many of those, and it's been a good 15 years since I skied there last.
I'll be there on Saturday as well...normally don't hit the tougher stuff though. Hoping to get in enough of the mountains in one day...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Jay: Bring a newbie, ski free

From JPR:

We’ve been running this promo for a while but haven’t given it the attention it deserves. It’s simple, really – you get a FREE TICKET when you bring a first-timer to the mountain for a Learn to Ski/Ride lesson. There are requirements (ie. you need to sign up at least 24hrs in advance) so be sure to click through for all the details.

WJenness

From JPR:

We’ve been running this promo for a while but haven’t given it the attention it deserves. It’s simple, really – you get a FREE TICKET when you bring a first-timer to the mountain for a Learn to Ski/Ride lesson. There are requirements (ie. you need to sign up at least 24hrs in advance) so be sure to click through for all the details.

Sunday River does the same.

-w

swampwiz

"Earn Your Turns" Now through the end of September on selected Sundays:

"Trail Clearing and Creation at Whaleback 1-3PM Volunteering is a great way to get some FREE skiing. Join us to help clear and build trails. We will be meeting on the deck at 1pm to head up on the hill to trim the areas that our mighty John Deere cannot reach. Those that have weed whackers with cutting blades or a chainsaw will be most helpful. Anybody that gives a few hours of honest labor gets 2 vouchers for skiing and riding at your local mountain, Whaleback! "

An adult weekend all-day ticket went for $40 last year.

Checkout web site calendar for dates:
http://www.whaleback.com

Crested Butte in Colorado has a deal in which folks who put in 80 hours of such work get a season pass. You should see all the folks doing that in December!

witch hobble

I didn't read all the way back through the thread, so I apologize if this is redundant.

All midweek non-holiday lift tickets at Tenney Mountain are $25 for the remainder of the season.

Reminder that they are closed during non-vacation week Tuesdays and Wednesdays. So those deals are really for Mon, Thurs, and Fri.

polski

Website
twitter.com
The last Tuesday in January is always an important day at Mad River Glen. It’s the day the ski area with the famous, "Ski It If You Can" bumper sticker, celebrates the anniversary of its grand opening in 1949. This year, Roll Back the Clock Day will be held on Tuesday, January 26. Mad River Glen will celebrate its 61st Birthday with lift tickets costing $3.50, the 1949 price.
Their website says stay tuned for updates on this, given the weather.

Meanwhile, a little heads-up for anyone with kids who have the (otherwise awesome) SkiNH passbooks for fourth- or fifth-graders: In the back of the passbooks are coupons for the passbook holder for a free lift ticket in various other states. SkiNH tells me these are reciprocal arrangements with other states' ski area associations, which have their own passbooks for kids. Problem I encountered yesterday was a VT area claiming they were not participating in this arrangement - even though they definitely are in the Vermont Ski Areas Association, which definitely has its own passbook - and charging me full freight for my kid. (Nothing in the NH passbook lists participating mountains in other states - on the VT coupon it only says go to skivermont.com for more info, and info is lacking there on this specific issue.) A SkiNH rep told me today he wasn't in a position to fix this so now I'm back in communication with the VT area to try to get this rectified, and VSAA if necessary. I won't name the mountain here, now, but anyone else looking to use one of these coupons may want to call ahead to make sure everything goes smoothly.

Smellytele

Their website says stay tuned for updates on this, given the weather.

Meanwhile, a little heads-up for anyone with kids who have the (otherwise awesome) SkiNH passbooks for fourth- or fifth-graders: In the back of the passbooks are coupons for the passbook holder for a free lift ticket in various other states. SkiNH tells me these are reciprocal arrangements with other states' ski area associations, which have their own passbooks for kids. Problem I encountered yesterday was a VT area claiming they were not participating in this arrangement - even though they definitely are in the Vermont Ski Areas Association, which definitely has its own passbook - and charging me full freight for my kid. (Nothing in the NH passbook lists participating mountains in other states - on the VT coupon it only says go to skivermont.com for more info, and info is lacking there on this specific issue.) A SkiNH rep told me today he wasn't in a position to fix this so now I'm back in communication with the VT area to try to get this rectified, and VSAA if necessary. I won't name the mountain here, now, but anyone else looking to use one of these coupons may want to call ahead to make sure everything goes smoothly.

Well seeing in your signature it says 1/24 Burke - HMMMM? What mountain could it be? :)

polski

Website
twitter.com
Well seeing in your signature it says 1/24 Burke - HMMMM? What mountain could it be? :)

I was wondering how long it would take someone to notice that. :lol:

I don't want to bash them too much because it isn't made clear in the coupon book which out-of-state areas are participating in the deal (simply had to say "VSAA members" in this case) - and in fact I will suggest that to the SkiNH folks when all is said and done.

UPDATE: Burke has made this right. We're all set.

Last edited:

Rambo

WOW!! From the Belleayre website:
http://www.belleayre.com/promotions/featured.htm

$20 lift tickets and $10 rentals every Wed. through the end of the season:
"The 20/10 Wednesdays have been so successful we are extending that promotion through the end of the Season. Every Wednesday Lift Tickets are $20 and rentals are $10. Join us and find out what the buzz in all about!"

$25 lift tickets every Fri til end of season:
"$25 Customer Appreciation Day - every Friday is a $25 Customer Appreciation Day for the rest of the season!
You can't find a more affordable place to ski and ride than Belleayre! Nobody discounts more than us! "

polski

Website
twitter.com
The situation I described above has been resolved to my satisfaction. My previous post has been edited to reflect this.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Mad River Glen's Roll Back The Clock day has been rescheduled to April 1st, according to their Facebook fan page. Sounds like the mountain is in pretty bad shape this morning.

From their website:
Mad River Today Jan 26, 2010 at 06:30:00

Well Mother Nature gave us a good old-fashioned beat down yesterday. Because of this meteorological fiasco we have been forced to temporarily shut down the mountain once again today in an effort to save our snow as best we can. Roll Back the Clock Day, originally scheduled for today is not going to happen. HOWEVER, IN AN UNPRECECEDENTED MOVE ROLL BACK THE CLOCK DAY HAS BEEN RE-SCHEDULED FOR THURSDAY APRIL 1 - DON'T BE A FOOL SAVE THE DATE AND WE'LL START BUILDING UP A BASE TODAY! -WE PROMISE!.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Mad River Glen's Roll Back The Clock day has been rescheduled to April 1st, according to their Facebook fan page. Sounds like the mountain is in pretty bad shape this morning.

From their website:

I don't think they are in terrible shape, any more so than the other resorts. Yeah, I know, they don't make snow. But, they treat their hill with TLC and chose a conservative approach to snow preservation. They give the water plenty of time to drain before they do anything with it. They are planning on sending people up the hill this morning to check it out.

polski

Website
twitter.com
hope he's not being overly optimistic here but Josh Fox says he wouldn't be surprised to see 5-10" new snow at MRG through Thursday. That would help repair the surface a bit. Then generally positive prospects for a while.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
A Stowe Deal - Kinda

Liftopia has a 2-day Stowe ticket for $135. It's news only because it's the first time I've seen them post tickets only. You save $20 over their rack rate 2 day ticket.