• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing on the Cheap - 2021 - 2022 Ski Season

Smellytele

Thanks for the heads up Chuck! I got on the list, Jay is the one place in the east I have always wanted to try, not sure when or how much would be open on opening day though
don't set your expectations too high. you will be disappointed. Jay is about glades, their trails aren't much to write home about.

urungus

SkiVT 4-packs are now on sale for $194, they will sell out quickly

BenedictGomez

SkiVT 4-packs are now on sale for $194, they will sell out quickly

Just go my 2 at 12:24. I was worried they'd already have sold out.

KustyTheKlown

i dont think the ski vt deal is such a great deal anymore. i switched from ski vt to indy last year and think indy is a way better use of $200

BenedictGomez

i dont think the ski vt deal is such a great deal anymore. i switched from ski vt to indy last year and think indy is a way better use of $200

Indy pass is $300, not $200. But even if it was $200 I'd kind of disagree unless you're a person who travels a lot as there's a lot of crappy mountains on there. With the simple VT Ski Pass you can hit all the expensive mountains in VT.

urungus

Doesn’t have to be either / or, they complement each other. Use the SkiVT pack for the big expensive resorts that arent on Indy. IMO, average of $48.50 is pretty good for Sugarbush, Killington, Stowe, MRG.

$499 Berkshire East / Catamount / Bousquet “Summit Pass” early bird renewal
$189 Indy Pass add-on
$194 SkiVT 4 Pack
$882 Total

KustyTheKlown

Indy pass is $300, not $200. But even if it was $200 I'd kind of disagree unless you're a person who travels a lot as there's a lot of crappy mountains on there. With the simple VT Ski Pass you can hit all the expensive mountains in VT.

Is Stowe still on it? Stowe is just about the only place not on Indy or Ikon in VT I would care to visit. And I sort of recall them being removed by vail, but I could be wrong… MRG too, but I’m happy to pay them direct for a day or two each season.

I do travel a lot and like traveling a lot but it wouldn’t be much different Indy v Vt4 in terms of driving around New England a bunch.

Last year on Indy I got 2x Magic, 2x Jay, 2x Bolton (so there’s my $300 value in VT), 2x Cannon, 1x Berkshire, and a failed attempt at Saddleback complete with car accident. So 9 days, nearly 10, at places that aren’t “crappy” (if a pow day w glades at b-east is as crappy as it gets, then I’m content). Much better bang for buck.

Random - I just woke up from an insanely vivid dream that I won $909,327 at the track. Incredibly vivid, lucid. Waking up without a paper bag full of money sucks.

edit - stowe and other epic pass places are still on skiVT. thats nice. indy is still a way better use of my money in my use case.

Last edited:

ScottySkis

This season all Mount Bohemia season passholders get two free days at Bogus basin in Idaho. This is one of the very special places in the western United States with over 2600 acres of skiable terrain . Please see www.mtbohemia.com for details and blackout dates . $99 season pass sale starts November 24 and ends on the night of December 4. Photo Ron Boomer

PAabe

Glad to see WNEP ski card is back after not doing it last year. I would buy if I hadn't already bought indy pass.

$119, 1 day each at Montage, Shawnee, Big Bear, Tussey, Sawmill, and Swain

ScottySkis

Quad Wednesdays are now CHAIRitable Wednesdays! Ride the first three Wednesdays in December for just $40 each time. Brighton will donate $5 from every ticket purchased to a different Utah charity every week. This Wednesday is our first one so head to our website to get your ticket, donations from this Wednesday go to the Utah Foster Care Foundation!

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
Is anyone familiar with the deals you get when you belong to a club affiliated with the Eastern PA Skiing Council? And whether the deals are mostly in Pennsylvania, mostly in "destination" areas, or a mixture of both? I've been thinking about joining just to see, but was curious if anyone was familiar first.

keyser soze

I belong to a ski club in NJ http://www.centraljerseyskiclub.com/ and there are great deals through the NJ Ski Council at places in Vermont, New York, and other areas. Below are a couple of links showing ski council appreciation deals.

Found another list of different areas and they are weekends

You can join our club listed above without going to meetings. We have a lodge in between Killington and Sugarbush on Rte. 100 that holds 34 people and is rarely booked. We have members from Canada to Florida who just join so they can stay at the lodge for cheap. $75 membership fee and $35/night peak season. You are also entitled to the ski council deals, so if you use those deals for a couple of days you basically cover the membership cost.

I can answer any questions

Gregg

Editing to say that the second list with mid-week dates may be for last year, although the header page has 21/22 dates.

Last edited:

PAabe

I didn't realize how good a deal the ORDA frequent skier cards are. It was cheaper than a 3 day Gore ticket to do it with the card, and I've got a 2/3 day trip to both Gore and Whiteface planned. Whiteface one the week after Christmas which would have been a good bit pricier. Of the 3 I haven't been to Whiteface yet so I'm not really sure what to expect conditions or crowd wise that week, but I'm hoping for the best - noticed Gore was sold out Christmas week.

It is nice that tickets for cardholders don't sell out, didn't realize that either. I couldn't really tell with the card if they charge you a % off the window rate or off the advance online rate.

Maybe I'll hit Belle for a day late season now that I have the card.

nycskier

The SKI NY Passport Program-Kids Ski Free is back for the 2021-22 Season! If you got a 3rd or 4th grader you can get 2 free tickets for them to almost every mountain in New York State. Of note Hunter is not on this list.
Just a $41 processing fee for the pass.

So Inclined

Not my first trip out west, but I took the train from Chicago to Colorado. A student special of some sort, insanely cheap.

Slept on the reclining chair just fine. More leg room than airplane seats.

Can get up and walk around from one end of the train to the other end. Pretty cool. Train passengers are a different kind. Got to chit chat with some of them. Nice way to pass the time. Very relaxing.

I guess I was more “mature” even as a college kid? No problem with food and drink.

But the return trip was delayed for several hours. That’s a real drag, as hundred of passengers waiting at the small waiting room for hours. The entire return trip took much, much longer, as the delayed train lost all rail right of way priority and had to stop to wait its turn. Never did it again for that reason.

That said, I still frequently run into people who came out of the Midwest by train in Colorado. I wouldn’t do it from the east coast though.

I've taken Amtrak cross-country multiple times, including 2 different weeks of skiing in Taos (rental cars were involved, once from ABQ and once from Denver.) From Poughkeepsie, the last three times. It's very much A Thing you have to have time for and be prepared for (including the possible delays) but I enjoyed the trips a lot. Took my skis with me going out, no baggage charge or bother, and FedEx-ed 'em back at the end of the week.