• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SkiStop Westwood MA and general Boot work?

RISkier

Having some issues with my boots. A few years ago I had Jeff Bokem work on some boots and was very pleased. Sadly, he is no longer with us and working his magic on boots. Was thinking of trying the SkiStop in Westwood, MA, since it's not an unreasonable drive. Anyone have any experience with them or have other recommendations? Thanks.

TheArchitect

I bought my boots from them and based on my experience I highly recommend them. I worked with Gerhard initially to get an evaluation of my feet, stance, etc. We made up some custom footbeds and followed by molding a pair of Fischer vacuums with the owner of the shop. I can't remember his name off the top of my head. Anyway, the initial molding and the settings they made to correct stance, forward lean and so on were right on the money. I did have to go back twice to have the toe box punched but that was more a function of molding process not taking care of everything in one shot, like Fischer suggests it does.

I had such a good experience that I'll be going back to them for my sons boots and when I need another pair for myself.

RISkier

Good to hear. I didn't know they did Fischer boots. I'm afraid I may end up needing new boots before all is said and done and the Fischer's look interesting. I think they also do Dale boots.

TheArchitect

I've had a very good experience with the Vacuums but you should know that the molding process isn't as perfect as Fischer's advertising would have you believe. The process works really well but I still needed some punching done. I've read many other people's experience over on EpicSki and while most are happy there are some who don't like the boots. One thing most agree on is the liner for the first two years was poor. I've seen photos of the new liner this year and Fischer has definitely made some changes. My complaint with the liners is that they are very cold. I had to buy Hotronics to solve the problem. A lot of boots are cold but the first couple of years of Vacuums are at the far end of the range.

Now for the positive...I've never had a boot that performs so well. It really feels like a part of my foot and leg. Before the molding I had a number of spots where the boot was uncomfortable and pinching around my ankles. After the fitting I felt like I was wearing a pair of tight and very comfortable slippers.