• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowforecast.com optimistic defaults?

Cannonball

Let me start by saying that this is NOT a complaint. It is a question and/or maybe some troubleshooting. Like most AZers I really like and rely on the site, and hugely appreciate Winn's feedback here.

But does the site have a rose-colored default? The forecast for cannon this Tuesday is 17-21"!!! Of course that's not consistent with any other forecasts or even the discussions on the site. This is the 3rd or 4th time this year that the same 17-21" has been shown a few days out . I fell for it the first couple of times. Is this a glitch? Wishful thinking? A torture device?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
GIGO -- Garbage In Garbage Out. It isn't a glitch, computers just do what they are told, which is probably to fetch a model or some sort of combo/index of guidance products. I just wait for the word from Mr. LH at FIS, review the NOAA projection maps, and keep an eye on what Tim and Matt are saying on NECN.

WinnChill

Let me start by saying that this is NOT a complaint. It is a question and/or maybe some troubleshooting. Like most AZers I really like and rely on the site, and hugely appreciate Winn's feedback here.

But does the site have a rose-colored default? The forecast for cannon this Tuesday is 17-21"!!! Of course that's not consistent with any other forecasts or even the discussions on the site. This is the 3rd or 4th time this year that the same 17-21" has been shown a few days out . I fell for it the first couple of times. Is this a glitch? Wishful thinking? A torture device?

Cannonball,

You've addressed a concern I have had since the site overhaul. There is some default data fed into the site UNLESS we override it with manual input. I manually update VT/NH/ME resort daily details, however, if I don't check a hundred of these tiny little boxes, it defaults to these absurd snow totals. On occasion I miss these boxes--it's just a result of a tedious editing platform and I apologize for any confusion. I've been trying to get some items fixed/streamlined for weeks but without any luck. Until then, I'll try my best to prevent this from happening. I'll put a fresh update on things later this morning.

Thanks for your understanding and thanks for using the site.
WC

Last edited:

Cannonball

Winn, thanks for the quick and clear answer as usual. That's all I was asking and I figured it was something like that. Sounds like a PIA for you! You'd think it would just default to something bland like 'partly cloudy, 30 degrees'. Thanks again, keep up the great work.