• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So I have a business thing in Grand Junction CO in late March..

bdfreetuna

I see that Aspen is a couple hours away and Telluride is 2.5 hours away.

The business thing is the 23-25th of March... so I am thinking stay Monday-Tuesday 26/27 to ski.

I have never skied Colorado. I will also be with my father who is a competent skier but gets tired and has less endurance, and also won't want to be doing true "extreme" skiing. He will not want to hike to terrain. And I will probably not split off from skiing with him unless/until his legs are tired and he no longer wants to ski.

Would love any tips or other ideas. Would be nice to pull this off on a budget, if that's even possible.

I know Powderhorn is really close but I'm thinking this is a go big or just go back home situation. We have not decided 100% that we are even going to stay and ski.

snoseek

This is right up my alley as I've spent a decent amount of time there and am actually moving there in the fall.

If there's any sort of fresh snow go straight to phorn as the trees are amongst the best in the state IMO even though its a small local area. Sunlight is good and not too far as well. Telluride is definitely worth the drive and is pretty much 2 hours...go there vs aspen because Tride is usually a bitch to get to and this is a good opportunity. The mountain will rock your world...my fav in Colorado hands down. You don't need to hike to get to steep shit on tride although you totally can. If you do 2 days at telluride and want to stay down there cheaper stay in Ridgeway or even Montrose.

If you like to ride mtb go down to Over the Edge sports...rent a bike and ride out of the kokopelli trailhead or 18 road. Eat pizza at the hot tomato. In town GJ is the lunch loops and it supplies miles and miles of tech.

Hiking up on the monument is fun and even the drive is great. I suggest liberty cap from the lower trailhead.

no coast for sushi. Kannah Creek or rockslide for local beer. Theres some good wineries at Palisade.

Its a medium sized blue collar town. There are seedy sides but overall its an underrated little desert city. Steer clear of Clifton lol.

Also Moab sorta makes a triangle between GJ and telluride...you could ski a day at Telluride and head over to Moab the next day from there before making the 90 min drive back to GJ

Last edited:

skimagic

Snowseek, is that MTB TH close to the bike shop. I was going to use GJ as a multi sport springboard also.

As for the OP, I'd make the drive to Snowmass, intermediate heaven so you won't beat on the body too much. T-ride has much less of long intermediate runs than Snowmass IMO. All is worthy anywhere in Colorado.

bdfreetuna

I am kinda liking the Telluride idea for one thing I'd like to pick a big mountain that's isolated and spend 2 days to get to know it a little.

In Aspen I'd be tempted to do a day at Ajax and one at Highlands.. and I have a feeling I'll be there some other time in my life anyway. T-ride might be once in a lifetime chance.

jimk

Tride is usually a bitch to get to and this is a good opportunity. The mountain will rock your world...my fav in Colorado hands down. You don't need to hike to get to steep shit on tride although you totally can. If you do 2 days at telluride and want to stay down there cheaper stay in Ridgeway or even Montrose.

Good tip. I've been all over CO, some places multiple times, but never to Telluride because I'm always driving I70 or using Denver as gateway airport. Heard great things about it, seriously considered going there last year. Snowmass and Aspen Highlands would be great for what you are looking for, but I think for a two day visit it might be nice to focus on one hill - Telluride.

and if you;re worried about elevation for your dad sleeping in ridgeway or montrose would help.

snoseek

I would go to Telluride without question only because Aspen can be done Via Denver fairly easily but Telluride is so far from any major airports. There's a cruiser called "see me" that's over 4 miles and 4k vert of awesomeness if you want to cruise....you can peel of that ridge in either direction and get rowdy although you may end up somewhere else if you don't look at the map.

Yeah phorn will probably be closed...but it wont be for lack of snow. Its pretty low elevation for Colorado....base is about the same as Vail, maybe a bit more but less vert.

There aren't any trails near any bikeshops in Fruita unfortunately. You can however rent a bike in town GJ and pedal up to the lunch loops. If you want tech lunch loops is where its at anyway. Ride Holy Cross...trust me on this

dlague

This is right up my alley as I've spent a decent amount of time there and am actually moving there in the fall.

If there's any sort of fresh snow go straight to phorn as the trees are amongst the best in the state IMO even though its a small local area. Sunlight is good and not too far as well. Telluride is definitely worth the drive and is pretty much 2 hours...go there vs aspen because Tride is usually a bitch to get to and this is a good opportunity. The mountain will rock your world...my fav in Colorado hands down. You don't need to hike to get to steep shit on tride although you totally can. If you do 2 days at telluride and want to stay down there cheaper stay in Ridgeway or even Montrose.

If you like to ride mtb go down to Over the Edge sports...rent a bike and ride out of the kokopelli trailhead or 18 road. Eat pizza at the hot tomato. In town GJ is the lunch loops and it supplies miles and miles of tech.

Hiking up on the monument is fun and even the drive is great. I suggest liberty cap from the lower trailhead.

no coast for sushi. Kannah Creek or rockslide for local beer. Theres some good wineries at Palisade.

Its a medium sized blue collar town. There are seedy sides but overall its an underrated little desert city. Steer clear of Clifton lol.

Also Moab sorta makes a triangle between GJ and telluride...you could ski a day at Telluride and head over to Moab the next day from there before making the 90 min drive back to GJ
As far as skiing +1. Do not know much about the rest. That is he start of vacation week in CO for schools k-12 and spring break for many colleges and universities so my guess Telluride is probably not as busy? Powderhorn is on our place to visit. Certainly not a bad second day option.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Savemeasammy

Nice. If will be within striking distance of Telluride, you should probably get a place with a comfy couch.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

snoseek

Nice. If will be within striking distance of Telluride, you should probably get a place with a comfy couch.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

knowing me ill rent a room but my budget in junction will probably get me a couple rooms anyway.

4aprice

I would go to Telluride without question only because Aspen can be done Via Denver fairly easily but Telluride is so far from any major airports. There's a cruiser called "see me" that's over 4 miles and 4k vert of awesomeness if you want to cruise....you can peel of that ridge in either direction and get rowdy although you may end up somewhere else if you don't look at the map.

Yeah phorn will probably be closed...but it wont be for lack of snow. Its pretty low elevation for Colorado....base is about the same as Vail, maybe a bit more but less vert.

There aren't any trails near any bikeshops in Fruita unfortunately. You can however rent a bike in town GJ and pedal up to the lunch loops. If you want tech lunch loops is where its at anyway. Ride Holy Cross...trust me on this

How far is T-Ride from the Junction? I've done Salt Lake to Moab, about 3 1/2 hours, so GJ is not that far from there either. May stop there on my way back into Co from Ut in March. (would actually be about the same time the Tuna will be there) Been to Glenwood several times but never Grand Jct so I look I'm interested to see what its like. Seems like an excellent location.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Brad J

Telluride, is a great choice , Great Mt and a small but fun town, you may get some deals on motel ,where they close the first week in April.

snoseek

How far is T-Ride from the Junction? I've done Salt Lake to Moab, about 3 1/2 hours, so GJ is not that far from there either. May stop there on my way back into Co from Ut in March. (would actually be about the same time the Tuna will be there) Been to Glenwood several times but never Grand Jct so I look I'm interested to see what its like. Seems like an excellent location.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I suggest taking the drive up on the Monument between Fruita and GJ. Lots of look out points and small hikes and its really a beautiful area. In town is maybe got that dumpy desert city theme but theres some nice areas. Its not wealthy like glenwood or anything that's for sure. It is a great central base if youre into paddling, hiking, climbing, shooting guns and smoking weed, mtb and skiing.

zoomzoom

i've been through the poma (now leitner-poma) factory in grand junction, it's very cool. if you've got a yuge amount of extra time, maybe see if they'd offer a walk-through for a loyal customer. tell 'em you only ride poma lifts 'cause they're safer. : )

Jcb890

Does altitude affect you at all? We just came back and it kicked our asses while we were out in CO. So if it affects you, you may want to tamper expectations on hiking to terrain if you're only there 2 days and won't have much time to acclimate. If your father gets tired skiing and he is affected by altitude, he won't ski long because he'll be exhausted fast.

We are from MA also, but high altitude affects everyone differently.

dlague

Does altitude affect you at all? We just came back and it kicked our asses while we were out in CO. So if it affects you, you may want to tamper expectations on hiking to terrain if you're only there 2 days and won't have much time to acclimate. If your father gets tired skiing and he is affected by altitude, he won't ski long because he'll be exhausted fast.

We are from MA also, but high altitude affects everyone differently.
I have not met any one who was not effected by altitude in some shape or form. Some actually experience sickness while others experience headaches, however, shortness of breath is more common. If sleeping above 7000 ft then interruptions in sleep often occur due to gasping for air at times.

From our personal experience start taking Ginko Baloba and Ginseng while at lower elevation as much as two weeks prior. Everyday! Eat foods like bananas on days of activity that are high in potassium to aide in blood cells carrying oxygen. While you are here drink water lots of it. We traveled back east about three weeks ago and breathing felt really easy but returned and we noticed it. The two G's mentioned earlier do make a difference. Another thing we used when vacationing here was Altitude Adapt, which helps to combat sickness or AMS, it thins blood for improved circulation. We also carried portable oxygen which can be found all over around here.

BTW there is a natural combination called Altitude Adjustment with includes the two G's mentioned above. I had not tried that.

All of this was discussed in another thread a bit ago. If traveling west consider it. BTW don't be fooled by Denver, it's elevevation there does not impact people. Thinking a night there will help it will not. Elevation issues start at 7000 ft.

We live at 7000 ft now so we have gotten acclimated but we still feel it on steeper climbs or hike to terrain at A Basin at 12,000 ft.

If you stay in Dillon, CO that is at about 9000 ft and most will notice it immediately especially in stairwells and sleep.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited: