• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So I have a business thing in Grand Junction CO in late March..

Jcb890

I have not met any one who was not effected by altitude in some shape or form. Some actually experience sickness while others experience headaches, however, shortness of breath is more common. If sleeping above 7000 ft then interruptions in sleep often occur due to gasping for air at times.

From our personal experience start taking Ginko Baloba and Ginseng while at lower elevation as much as two weeks prior. Everyday! Eat foods like bananas on days of activity that are high in potassium to aide in blood cells carrying oxygen. While you are here drink water lots of it. We traveled back east about three weeks ago and breathing felt really easy but returned and we noticed it. The two G's mentioned earlier do make a difference. Another thing we used when vacationing here was Altitude Adapt, which helps to combat sickness or AMS, it thins blood for improved circulation. We also carried portable oxygen which can be found all over around here.

BTW there is a natural combination called Altitude Adjustment with includes the two G's mentioned above. I had not tried that.

All of this was discussed in another thread a bit ago. If traveling west consider it. BTW don't be fooled by Denver, it's elevevation there does not impact people. Thinking a night there will help it will not. Elevation issues start at 7000 ft.

We live at 7000 ft now so we have gotten acclimated but we still feel it on steeper climbs or hike to terrain at A Basin at 12,000 ft.

If you stay in Dillon, CO that is at about 9000 ft and most will notice it immediately especially in stairwells and sleep.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

We stayed in Frisco, which is about 9,000 ft. also and we definitely all felt it at least some. All 4 of us had some sort of mild headache and breathing issues. No issues which were too bad though which was great. I definitely knew I could not do nearly as much as what I'm used to be able to doing at home. Anything un-groomed was just absolutely exhausting. Hiking up to terrain was not even an option for me honestly.

We carried around the portable oxygen, that was good for a quick fix/pick-me-up if needed. Drank a ton of water so I was never dehydrated which was good. I hate bananas, but forced myself to eat them as to not get cramping and didn't have any of those issues.

We also noticed that it was very very DRY. Much drier than what we're used to, so skin was dry, always feeling thirsty, etc.

It was very different, but also awesome and I loved it. Our only real issues were due to the altitude/thin air and aside from light headaches, it was just a decreased stamina that we noticed.

dlague

We stayed in Frisco, which is about 9,000 ft. also and we definitely all felt it at least some. All 4 of us had some sort of mild headache and breathing issues. No issues which were too bad though which was great. I definitely knew I could not do nearly as much as what I'm used to be able to doing at home. Anything un-groomed was just absolutely exhausting. Hiking up to terrain was not even an option for me honestly.

We carried around the portable oxygen, that was good for a quick fix/pick-me-up if needed. Drank a ton of water so I was never dehydrated which was good. I hate bananas, but forced myself to eat them as to not get cramping and didn't have any of those issues.

We also noticed that it was very very DRY. Much drier than what we're used to, so skin was dry, always feeling thirsty, etc.

It was very different, but also awesome and I loved it. Our only real issues were due to the altitude/thin air and aside from light headaches, it was just a decreased stamina that we noticed.

Dry is nice in the summer and makes the snow much lighter/fluffier. I do not miss the humidity form back east. The snow is very constant and remains the same all season at least from what we have experienced so far.

Our son developed a headache after a couple days, my wife and I noticed the stamina thing while here on vacation but it does not seem to bother us as much now. Funny thing, it takes 3-4 days to get somewhat acclimated and by that time vacation is over. While back east (Southern NH) a few weeks ago it felt like I could run forever because breathing was so easy.

Jcb890

Dry is nice in the summer and makes the snow much lighter/fluffier. I do not miss the humidity form back east. The snow is very constant and remains the same all season at least from what we have experienced so far.

Our son developed a headache after a couple days, my wife and I noticed the stamina thing while here on vacation but it does not seem to bother us as much now. Funny thing, it takes 3-4 days to get somewhat acclimated and by that time vacation is over. While back east (Southern NH) a few weeks ago it felt like I could run forever because breathing was so easy.
Yeah, the cold and dryness is awesome for the snow. The dry weather gave my wife a bloody nose and gave me some really dry and cracked knuckles. Nothing we couldn't deal with though, but something to note.

The humidity in summer here sucks and winter gets hurt due to the thaw and re-freeze cycles which suck. We arrived in Denver Friday night and by the time we left on Wednesday I felt like I had most of my stamina back in the higher altitude.

dlague

Yeah, the cold and dryness is awesome for the snow. The dry weather gave my wife a bloody nose and gave me some really dry and cracked knuckles. Nothing we couldn't deal with though, but something to note.

The humidity in summer here sucks and winter gets hurt due to the thaw and re-freeze cycles which suck. We arrived in Denver Friday night and by the time we left on Wednesday I felt like I had most of my stamina back in the higher altitude.
Even going from Dillon or Frisco at 9000 ft to Denver around 5000 there is a noticeable difference in breathing.

Smellytele

I have had times it has effected me and others when it hasn't. The first time in Summit county I was fine. Next time the first day skiing (2nd day in summit co) I felt it. The last time I was there I was fine. I didn't feel it in France on Mount Blanc but did on Mt Rainier. Also was fine on Grand Teton.

Jcb890

Even going from Dillon or Frisco at 9000 ft to Denver around 5000 there is a noticeable difference in breathing.

Yeah, Denver wasn't an issue at all to be honest. Driving from Denver to Frisco gave me a bit of a headache though with all of the altitude change and ear popping.

bdfreetuna

So talking to my old man today apparently he went on Telluride's website and thinks it looks big and scary.. lol. Started talking about just heading right back after the work.

I still got 6 days in Tahoe for March so can't say it's a huge let down. Appreciate all the advice. By all means continue discussion amongst yourselves :)

Jcb890

So talking to my old man today apparently he went on Telluride's website and thinks it looks big and scary.. lol. Started talking about just heading right back after the work.

I still got 6 days in Tahoe for March so can't say it's a huge let down. Appreciate all the advice. By all means continue discussion amongst yourselves :)
I hope you didn't take my comments as trying to steer you away. I think you should absolutely use the time and check it out. Just temper your expectations as far as hiking to non-lift-serviced terrain due to not having the same stamina as back home. I think your dad would be OK, just tell him to take a break if/when he gets tired.

My wife and mother both thought the mountain and trails were a bit intimidating and very big. However, both of them were able to do the trails they wanted without much problem because there was no ice, just great snow. Just tell him to think of the best conditions he can recall in New England... every day the conditions are basically that it seems.

snoseek

See forever.....that the name I misnamed it earlier. Your dad can ski that all day long and as long as he's not a novice he will do fine.

bdfreetuna

nah Jcb890 didn't dissuade me at all. Would love to do it but if my old man's not up for the adventure -- and also the extra expense added to the trip -- I'll just have to add it to the list of places to go with wife and hopefully kids some day.

Thought he was down before the weekend when I asked but he managed to talk himself down from the idea.

not that I count this thread as a loss it was pretty educational, hopefully for others too.

Jcb890

nah Jcb890 didn't dissuade me at all. Would love to do it but if my old man's not up for the adventure -- and also the extra expense added to the trip -- I'll just have to add it to the list of places to go with wife and hopefully kids some day.

Thought he was down before the weekend when I asked but he managed to talk himself down from the idea.

not that I count this thread as a loss it was pretty educational, hopefully for others too.
Definitely a good thread.

(I'm assuming your father is also living on/from the East Coast?)

You can try and convince him using my mother as an example - she's in her late 50's with a replacement hip. She's a very tentative skier in that she's very cautious of ice and of her hip after her surgery a few years back. In New England she'll only do green trails and she does them tentatively like I said. Out in Colorado, I'd say the green trails there were more equivalent to many of the blues around here and she even ventured onto a couple of blue trails at Copper that were much steeper than anything she would think of skiing back home. She didn't have any issues and had a blast because there was no ice at all, so she was able to ski more confidently and faster. I think your father would be more confident also if he's used to riding on the East Coast in more icy conditions.

Like I said in my other post, tell him to think about the best possible snow conditions we get in New England, that's what you'll be skiing most likely (at worst).

4aprice

So why not Powderhorn or Sunlight for a day? They would probably top any thing you have skied this year so far. Heck, I did Mt Lemmon in Tuscon on one business trip several years ago.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

bdfreetuna

Apparently Powderhorn closes that weekend. I am also doing 6 days in Tahoe in early March, which could easily be the best ski vacation I've ever done.. so there's that..

Jcb890

Apparently Powderhorn closes that weekend. I am also doing 6 days in Tahoe in early March, which could easily be the best ski vacation I've ever done.. so there's that..
Have you ever been skiing outside of New England? Our recent trip to Colorado was my first time outside of New England.

bdfreetuna

Sunshine Village, Lake Louise, and Norquay are the only places I've been outside the Northeast/Eastern Canada. Skiing was great but there was zero visibility most of the time.

Jcb890

Sunshine Village, Lake Louise, and Norquay are the only places I've been outside the Northeast/Eastern Canada. Skiing was great but there was zero visibility most of the time.
Oh okay, cool! Like I said, I had only ridden in New England prior to last week. It was unbelievable really. Visibility was lower Sunday and Monday, but still plenty good enough to see all of the trail and where you were going. Then on Tuesday and Wednesday, it was 25* and sunny Bluebird days where you could see for miles and miles. The views actually made my wife nervous due to her fear of heights.

Smellytele

Have you ever been skiing outside of New England? Our recent trip to Colorado was my first time outside of New England.

Then you said "Just tell him to think of the best conditions he can recall in New England... every day the conditions are basically that it seems." with 1 trip you cannot really say that. I have been a few times but still wouldn't say that. Generally yes but I have had a few days above treeline that were a windblown mess. Last year at Abasin the conditions were not great at all on the back side - Icy actually on all runs down zuma cornice.

Jcb890

Then you said "Just tell him to think of the best conditions he can recall in New England... every day the conditions are basically that it seems." with 1 trip you cannot really say that. I have been a few times but still wouldn't say that. Generally yes but I have had a few days above treeline that were a windblown mess. Last year at Abasin the conditions were not great at all on the back side - Icy actually on all runs down zuma cornice.
I know I'm generalizing and only have 1 trip to base it on. But, judging by the weather this year, just about anything you get in CO is going to be as good or better than anything you're going to find here in New England weather-wise.

An honest question (hypothetical of course), how many days per year does New England have as good or better on-mountain conditions (snow-wise) compared to Colorado? I'm going to guess that number is in the single digits and they fall on days where it snows in New England and not in Colorado.

I'm not trying to bash New England, this is my home. I live here and ride here and love it. But, let's call it like it is, there's a reason people travel out West to ride/ski instead of to New England (generally).

dlague

Well his one trip is a perfect example of what has been the case for us all season long and we have been skiing it every weekend since October 23rd. We came for a week last February and never looked back. My wife no longer has any desire to ski back east and I struggle for a reason too. Unlike back east, the snow texture is very consistent. Rarely to you hear scratchy surfaces and the runs are long.

This has been a dream season of sorts for us and I never had a season like this back east.

Will see how the rest of the season goes but, his one week is a pretty good glimpse of what it has been like. So yes he can say that, I said the same last February.