• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe: 11-5-06

awf170

It's amazing. It looks like mid-season already. I saw a TR on the TGR forum showing some skiers attacked the waterfall. Did you guys adventure anywhere from the gondola? Possibly Lookout or Starr?

We did upper nosedive, nosedive glades, and chin-clip. We were thinking about checking some of the steeper stuff out like national liftline but hiking through snow guns is not to much fun so we decided to head down and hike back up to the Gondi side.

Great skiing with Austin and Steve.

Steve, hope we can do it again sometime... maybe when I eat enough... and get some skins and touring stuff... and am not out of shape..... I won't be so slow...

:dunce:

You don't want to get in too good of shape though. Either get in better shape or getting touring gear, either one and you will be even with us. You don't need both though because you will blow by us. Like I said yesterday, I bet you would be about the same speed as Steve and I with touring gear.

You must go through gas money like it's nobody's business Austin ;)

About $30 to Stowe and back, not too bad. I rarely go over 65 mph to keep the cost down though.

how long the hike up take?

The whole trip took us just over 4 hours. Steve and Marc got around 2,700 ft. of vertical and I got 3,100. We also took it pretty slow. So I would say if you're in decent shape you could get to the top of the Gondi in just over an hour.

Also, I am extremely disappointed in Marc. He actually is a very good skier and not nearly as out of control as he is says. I didn't even see him fall once. Though I did miss the tree-well incident which could have made up for it. :lol:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Also, I am extremely disappointed in Marc. He actually is a very good skier and not nearly as out of control as he is says. I didn't even see him fall once. Though I did miss the tree-well incident which could have made up for it. :lol:

Yes, that was quite funny. Ask Steve. A hemlock and a birch tried to eat me, or at the very least, imprison me.

Stupid trees. Kind of a "had to be there" sort of thing.

cbcbd

What time were you guys where? I wonder if I was around any of the areas when you guys were. 9:30 I was at the top of Gondi, 11 I had done Clif and Nosedive and was heading back up Nosedive. I don't remember the in between but at 1:30 I was heading up Gondi again.

awf170

Yes, that was quite funny. Ask Steve. A hemlock and a birch tried to eat me, or at the very least, imprison me.

Stupid trees. Kind of a "had to be there" sort of thing.

Did you flail around on your back like a beached whale too? That is my usual method of trying to get out of the pesky trees. It usually doesn't work, but does give the people watching me a great impression.

What time were you guys where? I wonder if I was around any of the areas when you guys were. 9:30 I was at the top of Gondi, 11 I had done Clif and Nosedive and was heading back up Nosedive. I don't remember the in between but at 1:30 I was heading up Gondi again.

We started up nosedive a little before 10 am. We started down chin-clip at around 3:30. Besides that I have no idea.

cbcbd

We started up nosedive a little before 10 am. We started down chin-clip at around 3:30. Besides that I have no idea.
Ha, so you maybe saw the plate of pasta this boarder who was hiking in front of me puked up towards the top of Gondi where it's splits up... to the right of the boot ladder? :D Dude was not doing too well. At 3:30 I was just done with Chin and was possibly at my car, the yellow one in this pic ;)

http://forums.alpinezone.com/attachments/312d1162777239-stowe-11-5-06-20061105stowe10.jpg

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Ha, so you maybe saw the plate of pasta this boarder who was hiking in front of me puked up towards the top of Gondi where it's splits up... to the right of the boot ladder? :D Dude was not doing too well. At 3:30 I was just done with Chin and was possibly at my car, the yellow one in this pic ;)

http://forums.alpinezone.com/attachments/312d1162777239-stowe-11-5-06-20061105stowe10.jpg

I think Austin had a typo there. We started down Chin Clip around 1:30 and we were back at our cars around 2:00.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
my full report and pics are up on the snow way:
http://www.thesnowway.com/ski/2007/20061105stowe.htm

the thumbnails are finally clickable but i am not going through and redoing 150 trip reports to fix it on past reports. going forward, all my trip reports will have the clickable thumbnail work arond for non-standards compliant browsers that can't do the roll over.

Greg

Staff member
Christ, Austin. How tall are you? You look about 7' in this pic:

20061105stowe12.jpg

meat

from your guys pics it looks like stowe has better coverage than what jay has left. had some nice soft corn like turns today, but not as wall to wall as what stowe looks like. my guess is that stowe got a little more snow and wasn't as wind effected?

I decided to venture tram side today to stay away from the man-made. was going to do JFK, but kokomo was a wreck hiking up, too much open water. ended up doing goat to GMB to deer run which was decent, but nothing of a base compared to last week. the goat basin was completly wind swept with hardly any snow, good thing for nw passage cut around to GMB which was mint. lots of grass skiing to be had towards the bottom.

looks like Mt. Man might come out of this warm up better than jay, the next two days look to be the worst of it......I hope.

Greg

Staff member
Hah. I'm 6 ft. tall and a mean 135 pounds.

Ahhhhh...that explains it then. You suffer from the same illusion I do - tall and skinny which makes you look even taller. 17 years old and 6' and 135, eh? That's about where I was in high school. I'm an intimidating 165 and 6' 1" now and roughly twice your age.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
from your guys pics it looks like stowe has better coverage than what jay has left. had some nice soft corn like turns today, but not as wall to wall as what stowe looks like. my guess is that stowe got a little more snow and wasn't as wind effected?
i don't think snow totals were very different for jay and stowe. jay just got picked clean by the wind and worse retention of snow due to slope angle, wind, exposure, less traffic, less packing, etc. right now, mansfield is definitely the better option, the base is more solid, deeper, and much much much more vertical than jay (almost the entire 2k vert at manny with full coverage). that said, the natural snow at mansfield definitely needs a refresher. i honestly would have rather skied man made than the natural on chin clip but the natural on nose dived had baked in the sun long enough to be quite nice.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Ahhhhh...that explains it then. You suffer from the same illusion I do - tall and skinny which makes you look even taller. 17 years old and 6' and 135, eh? That's about where I was in high school. I'm an intimidating 165 and 6' 1" now and roughly twice your age.
so what you are saying is.... drink lots of beer in college? ;)

JD

Website
hotmail.com
I went up on Sunday. Dust on crust. Some LOUD sking. Low angle stuff def. skied better. I did cliff trial to lower nose dive. I'd call it very poor conditions, but for early Nov., who's complaining?

meat

i don't think snow totals were very different for jay and stowe. jay just got picked clean by the wind and worse retention of snow due to slope angle, wind, exposure, less traffic, less packing, etc. right now, mansfield is definitely the better option, the base is more solid, deeper, and much much much more vertical than jay (almost the entire 2k vert at manny with full coverage). that said, the natural snow at mansfield definitely needs a refresher. i honestly would have rather skied man made than the natural on chin clip but the natural on nose dived had baked in the sun long enough to be quite nice.

thanks for some clarification Steve. I figured you would know since you have been dominating both hills. yesterday was quality spring snow, just not a ton of it..... I think i'm done til it snows again or some type of lift starts spinning.