• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe Thread

beyond.the.lodge

Noticed that it doesn't really seem like there is a Stowe thread.

My question is what do you think are some of the easier blacks on the mountain? Thanks

kendo

Main Street over on Spruce is a black but skis like a blue groomed or blue/ black ungroomed. It's usually groomed nightly. Main Street Race is also great if not closed for training or meets. Spruce Line and Whirlaway are shorter bump runs that don't get a ton of traffic.

Sensation HSQ that serves this area was always ski on weekdays so you can get alot of runs in. Skied 20+ weekdays last year and maybe waited for a chair a couple times. Not sure this year as New Jerseyites aren't allowed up there - easily!

kingslug

Blue..black..theyre long and get bumped up in areas. Then if you want you can hop into Chinclip for a mile of moguls..thats off Gondolier. Blacks..Hayride, Nosedive..
To me it doesnt matter if its a blue, black , double d ..its all good. Spruce has some good stuff too..and its empty over there.

RISkier

Noticed that it doesn't really seem like there is a Stowe thread.

My question is what do you think are some of the easier blacks on the mountain? Thanks
We ski Stowe quite a lot. We know a person who owns a place at Okemo; he says the Blacks Okemo are like the steeper blues at Stowe. I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment. Nose Dive isn't all that steep but you need to make 3 turns, it's fairly narrow, and can get pretty scraped off. After the top it's just a steepish blue. Parts of Hayride are pretty steep. Centerline is a steepish blue if groomed but usually is bumped. Chin Clip off the gondi isn't that steep but it's almost always bumped. And once you're in, you're in. Not a lot of trails marked black that I'd call easy black but some of the blues might suffice. If you like bumps you have several options

kendo

... time to revive this dead horse!

Not much info online about where they're making snow and what's likely to open next.

Any progress on Liftline, Nosedive or Hayride - or anything off the Gondola?

cdskier

... time to revive this dead horse!

Not much info online about where they're making snow and what's likely to open next.

Any progress on Liftline, Nosedive or Hayride - or anything off the Gondola?
Vail not good at communicating information on the details of what is happening at one of their resorts? I'm shocked!

KustyTheKlown

there is no stowe thread because most people here know better than to be stowe homers anymore. even slug has his sights set 30 miles south

it is a shame that the best lift accessed sidecountry is now a huge rarity for me. i prefer the mansfield sidecountry that you cant access from smuggs to the back bowls on the spruce side that you can access from smuggs

a day at stowe is just about the only reason i was considering a ski vt 4 pack

ThatGuy

there is no stowe thread because most people here know better than to be stowe homers anymore. even slug has his sights set 30 miles south

it is a shame that the best lift accessed sidecountry is now a huge rarity for me. i prefer the mansfield sidecountry that you cant access from smuggs to the back bowls on the spruce side that you can access from smuggs

5 days at Stowe was the only reason I got the Epic Midweek pass.

Kingslug20

Now that i will be based out of wiliston..ill be bouncing back and forth from stowe to sb...
Will be interesting to see where i end up more

kendo

I've become a Stowe homer as a result of skiing Telluride & Crested Butte on epic the past few yrs. Telluride alone is $1170 for 6 day tix in March and $0 with epic.

So with epic I've been averaging 20+ weekdays at Stowe along with a few random days at Hunter (less each yr) and the trips out west. Tons of skiing for the price of the full epic.

Will ski SB a couple days this year as well.

... so any intel on Stowe mtn ops?!

kendo

Stowe/Vail included a mention of active snowmaking ops on the website.

Screenshot_20211205-111731_Chrome.jpg

Thanks - whoever is adding this info.

abc

there is no stowe thread because most people here know better than to be stowe homers anymore
The old Stowe homers are disappointed with the change so they move on. But those who only now start coming to Stowe found the "shadow of its former self" version of Stowe is still better than the alternative. So they'll keep on coming (and asking questions). Though that won't sustain a Stowe thread.

(I'm not a fan of long running threads. There's facebook for that. Why reinvent a worse version of what FB does so well? )

kendo

If you just focus on the skiing..Stowe has a lot to offer...
Yep. I'd rather drive 7hrs for multiple 4 day trips with great skiing (and blacks more than likely to be open) than 2 for the mess that's now Hunter.