• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush lodging

Bene288

My uncle and I are skiing SB the 7th and 8th of Feb. Any reasonable inns or hotels in the area? Don't mind driving 20-30 to the mountain. Thanks!

KustyTheKlown

best western in waterbury is fairly inexpensive, has a good free breakfast, and has the benefit of knowing what youre getting in terms of the standards of a big chain hotel. also an indoor pool, hot tub, and gym.

the sugarbush inn (resort owned property) has had some decent deals for me in the past, and is 2 minutes from lincoln peak parking lot.

hostel tevere if you're looking for a more budget concious option. they may have one or two private rooms if you aren't trying to do it dorm/hostel style.

KustyTheKlown

best western in waterbury is fairly inexpensive, has a good free breakfast, and has the benefit of knowing what youre getting in terms of the standards of a big chain hotel. also an indoor pool, hot tub, and gym. also very close (tho not walking distance) to prohibition pig

the sugarbush inn (resort owned property) has had some decent deals for me in the past, and is 2 minutes from lincoln peak parking lot.

hostel tevere if you're looking for a more budget concious option. they may have one or two private rooms if you aren't trying to do it dorm/hostel style.

thetrailboss

Staff member
We love staying at the Yellow Farmhouse Inn just up the road in Waitsfield. Nice folks, wonderful place, and great breakfast!

cdskier

I just did a quick search online...the Sugarbush Inn is only $115 a night in that time frame. The Best Western in Waterbury is $106 a night. For that difference, I'd stay local in the Valley and not worry about driving far to the mountain.

There are several other options near Sugarbush within $10-$15 of the Sugarbush Inn as well (both lower and higher). I don't have any personal experience with them though. Go to http://www.sugarbush.com/plan/lodging/ and put your dates in the search lodging option and you'll see the area options and prices. If you want to know how far a particular place is from the mountain, just ask here.

xwhaler

Hyde a Way up near MRG/German Flats Rd. Stayed there last season and it was great. Will be up there next week as well.
Clean basic rooms good tavern food/local pours.
Includes hot breakfast

cdskier

Hyde a Way up near MRG/German Flats Rd. Stayed there last season and it was great. Will be up there next week as well.
Clean basic rooms good tavern food/local pours.
Includes hot breakfast

Hyde away has new owners and I'm curious if anything has changed. I heard some mixed reviews from some of the ski patrollers about the bar back in December. Could just have been kinks being worked out though.

I'm personally a bit unhappy that they took the cowboy burger off the menu (at least I think that was the name...the meat was a blend of beef and bacon). Otherwise the menu looks good. The chef from Elusive Moose is now the chef at Hyde Away.

xwhaler

Hyde away has new owners and I'm curious if anything has changed. I heard some mixed reviews from some of the ski patrollers about the bar back in December. Could just have been kinks being worked out though.

I'm personally a bit unhappy that they took the cowboy burger off the menu (at least I think that was the name...the meat was a blend of beef and bacon). Otherwise the menu looks good. The chef from Elusive Moose is now the chef at Hyde Away.

Interesting. Didn't know that. Will report back next week.

mrvpilgrim

I have heard good things about the Golden Lion Inn om 100 at the base of the access road from friends who have stayed there. clean and reasonably priced.
For a more rooming house type accommodation check out the Sllide Brook Lodge on German Flats Road. there is a Bar on premises

xwhaler

Been to the tavern a few times where are the rooms? The place used to get pretty loud hope the rooms are away from the bar.

They have 2 very small rooms above the bar that we stayed in last yr and again next week. Last yr was on a Sunday night and the combo of 2 hard ski days before + beer and we were right out.
Not sure how it would be on a busy wknd night if u wanted to get good sleep.

They also have other rooms to the left as you look at the place from the road. Great crash spot though with buddies as a guys trip.

Not sure I'm taking my wife there lol

thetrailboss

Staff member
I have heard good things about the Golden Lion Inn om 100 at the base of the access road from friends who have stayed there. clean and reasonably priced.
For a more rooming house type accommodation check out the Sllide Brook Lodge on German Flats Road. there is a Bar on premises

I think the Golden Lion gives discounts to AZers.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

cdskier

Golden Lion is also under new ownership (found that out from a guy at work here in NJ who said he's friends with the new owners or something like that)

Edit: and per their website they have a new name too - The Warren Lodge (http://www.goldenlionriversideinn.com/). All the times I drove by this year and never even noticed that...

jimmck

Interesting. Didn't know that. Will report back next week.
I hear from my "sources" that a fair number of the staff left, on their own.

We've been back twice since the ownership change, and will have to see an improvement before we go back.

Loved going there before, the pork fat confit wings were to die for. No longer on the menu [emoji32] when we last visited.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

thetrailboss

Staff member
Golden Lion is also under new ownership (found that out from a guy at work here in NJ who said he's friends with the new owners or something like that)

Edit: and per their website they have a new name too - The Warren Lodge (http://www.goldenlionriversideinn.com/). All the times I drove by this year and never even noticed that...

Bummer. Forget my comment about an AZ discount then. That was the previous owner.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

nelsapbm

IF you are considering Waterbury there is a brand new Fairfield Inn & Suites that opened in November. Not sure of rates. Its just up 100 from the exit...where the Thatcher Brook Inn was.