• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf Bucksaw Chair....RIP

deadheadskier

Staff member
You people don't listen lol. I said remove the double runners.

Sorry. I was only responding to the quoted statement. I didn't read your earlier post where you discussed the DR chairs.

And sikskier, I agree that a summit T probably makes the most sense. I believe even Sugarloaf has made that comment. However when goldenboy started the grandeur hypitheticals, I and others simply followed suit.

goldenboy80

Quick question- why does management suggest that a fixed grip quad is the best replacement for the double runner area? It doesn't have significant wind issues and beginners would surely appreciate the slower loading and unloading speed that a detachable would enable. I think the double runners are pretty slow and a let-down compared to equivalent beginner lifts at any of the major resorts in the East. Between Snubber, Skidway, and Sawduster beginning skiers must think going skiing is all about getting whipped in the backside by a tiny chair and then spending forever in the air going 2 mph. I understand the issue of over-capacity in a crowded zone but can't you resolve that by sending fewer chairs up the line? I just don't understand the concept of spending millions on new lift equipment that is already outdated by 20 years on the day that you install it. Plus, in terms of weather, Sugarloaf is colder and windier than its competition in the East so it is even more important to have fast lifts so that skiers spend more time on the slopes and less time getting blasted by the cold. Stratton knows this which is why they built all those high speed six packs to attract more pansies from the big city and their tiny dog toting significant others. In order to attract more people you have to have competitive equipment.

goldenboy80

At the same time, I don't know why I am advocating for more modern high capacity lifts to increase skier visits to Sugarloaf. Maybe us forum folk want to do everything to prevent modernization and expansion so that the slopes are uncrowded, i.e. more fresh tracks and corduroy for us. Eliminate all quads and replace with T-bars. Remove food prep and lounge at Bullwinkle's and replace with a department of motor vehicles waiting room. Eliminate the Bag Burger from the menu and replace with gruel.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wind is still an issue there, hence the wind fencing that's in place. In theory it would still run if the superquad went down due to wind and you could get to skyline or the T-bar.

I don't think wind issues at Sugarloaf can be understated. No other major resort in New England comes close to having as many windholds as they do.

Newpylong

just kidding anyway :)

I would totally go for a t-bar, but I would like to see it on the front and not up Cinder Hoe. Up the side of Gondy line?

goldenboy80

From that standpoint I guess I do see the value of having an entirely fixed-grip option getting you from the base to the top of Spillway for those incredibly windy days. It just makes me sad is all... Still smarting from the fixed-grip terminal replacement of King Pine. Slow and cold.

goldenboy80

Nice I like idea of T-bar up Gondi Line extension. Would literally be the most dangerous T-bar ride in the world. One fall and instant death.

Jully

Quick question- why does management suggest that a fixed grip quad is the best replacement for the double runner area? It doesn't have significant wind issues and beginners would surely appreciate the slower loading and unloading speed that a detachable would enable. I think the double runners are pretty slow and a let-down compared to equivalent beginner lifts at any of the major resorts in the East. Between Snubber, Skidway, and Sawduster beginning skiers must think going skiing is all about getting whipped in the backside by a tiny chair and then spending forever in the air going 2 mph. I understand the issue of over-capacity in a crowded zone but can't you resolve that by sending fewer chairs up the line? I just don't understand the concept of spending millions on new lift equipment that is already outdated by 20 years on the day that you install it. Plus, in terms of weather, Sugarloaf is colder and windier than its competition in the East so it is even more important to have fast lifts so that skiers spend more time on the slopes and less time getting blasted by the cold. Stratton knows this which is why they built all those high speed six packs to attract more pansies from the big city and their tiny dog toting significant others. In order to attract more people you have to have competitive equipment.

I also think just cost prevents a high speed at the Double Runners. Wiffletree already provides high speed access and the DR are pretty short lifts. How many more skiers would come to SL if the Double Runners were a high speed? I doubt it would be anywhere near enough to be double the cost of a moved fixed grip lift.

Wind holds are obviously a huge factor too.

SIKSKIER

The best t-bar route from a skiers standpoint would be way to lookers left from the Spillway x-cut so most of the terrain above the x-cut could be accessed.But it would be way too steep to be practicable.

goldenboy80

Why can't a t-bar be steep?

Because Sugarloaf already injures enough people with its chairlifts... Let's say even two people per day fall off the T-bar on one of the steepest iciest slopes on the east coast. Decent chance to get injured. Is it worth it to save a couple of clams? Or plan for the future and put in a detachable quad like a gentleman, which will run for 25 years and keep Sugarloaf competitive with Sunday River and its east coast rivals from the get-go.

steamboat1

Lookers left up Sugarloaf is probably the iciest place on the mountain & is the last to soften in the spring. The back snowfields soften way before that section being they get hit with early morning sun in the spring while the front side is still a sheet of ice. Not a good place for a T-bar if you ask me. As for steepness I don't think it's any steeper than the T-bar that used to be at Pico running lookers right of Giant Killer. Rode that lift plenty of times when it operated without issue.

As for what lift I think would be best to the summit I'd say the same lift as Spillway. Build it low to the ground to avoid as much wind as possible. Carpet loading would add a little speed. I just think a fixed grip would be better than a detachable seeing detachables have more issues with wind. Right up gondola line. Perhaps they could even use the old cement building that was the unloading station for the gondola for more protection, not sure if that's feasible for a chairlift. Only problem is the whole lift would need to be shut if it's to windy to run on top even with a mid station since the chairs don't detach.

I'd love to see a top to bottom lift where they'd be able to run the lift on the bottom section only on windy days. This would have to be a detachable where the chairs could run on the bottom section only then turn around. Don't think we'd see that being a lift like that would cost a lot of money. Can't just have a detach mid station where the chairs continue to the top like at Le Massif & Timberline. Would be the same problem as a fixed grip. They'd have to put in two bull wheels so the chairs could be turned around midway. Similar to stage I & II of the Skyeship gondola at Killington. It's actually two separate lifts in one that can be run independently.

goldenboy80

I agree that a fixed grip like Skyline starting at old gondi mid-station or thereabouts and heading toward the summit is a decent idea. Then at least you could lap the backside snowfields and extensions in the Spring and make it back to the new summit lift fairly quickly. That's one of the downsides to the current Timberline is that its hard to get back there if you're doing anything besides skiing underneath that lift, which is sort of anticlimactic if you're looking for an aggressive snowfields experience.

Smellytele

Because Sugarloaf already injures enough people with its chairlifts... Let's say even two people per day fall off the T-bar on one of the steepest iciest slopes on the east coast. Decent chance to get injured. Is it worth it to save a couple of clams? Or plan for the future and put in a detachable quad like a gentleman, which will run for 25 years and keep Sugarloaf competitive with Sunday River and its east coast rivals from the get-go.
With the same owners as SR why be competitive with them?

Newpylong

I agree that a fixed grip like Skyline starting at old gondi mid-station or thereabouts and heading toward the summit is a decent idea. Then at least you could lap the backside snowfields and extensions in the Spring and make it back to the new summit lift fairly quickly. That's one of the downsides to the current Timberline is that its hard to get back there if you're doing anything besides skiing underneath that lift, which is sort of anticlimactic if you're looking for an aggressive snowfields experience.

+1 didn't even think about another FGQ up the front. That's a good idea as well. Timberline sucks.