• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summer 2024 improvements

Terry

Correct - I heard Tues & Weds as long as the wind is light
Towers flew today. My son in law was there for the last few towers

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1725919370613.jpg
    FB_IMG_1725919370613.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 17
  • FB_IMG_1725919359096.jpg
    FB_IMG_1725919359096.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 16
  • FB_IMG_1725919327248.jpg
    FB_IMG_1725919327248.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 17
  • FB_IMG_1725919317164.jpg
    FB_IMG_1725919317164.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 16
  • FB_IMG_1725919370613.jpg
    FB_IMG_1725919370613.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 16

BenedictGomez

That’s definitely an Epic upgrade right there.
In all seriousness I had pointed out to my wife a few months back that for one of their "premium properties", there's really a ton of sloppiness in terms of keeping the place looking nice and/or just being professionally run, which made me wonder if it's indicative of financial issues, or just poor operational management. Things like:

1) Cabriolet lift being so sun faded the red paint is pink and the "Cabriolet" word was bleeding (this was fixed this weekend as I noted to be fair).
2) Graffiti in numerous Cabriolet cars, which has been there for a long time, yet nobody fixes it
3) Lift base and top terminal clocks broken and not replaced (these are your typical $15 Walmart, round, white, lift clocks)
4) Lift base and top terminal clocks with either the wrong time nobody bothers to fix or nobody's replaced the 10¢ AA battery (I mean for many months).
5) A sink at Canyons side nobody has fixed for months
6) Myriad lift problems this season. No hyperbole, there were problems/stoppages on tons of lifts this year, not just like 1 or 2 problem lifts.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of things, but well-run places that consider themselves high-end dont have any of these problems. Something really simple like the clocks for instance, would literally be fixed the afternoon they occurred, either with a new battery or a new clock. Non-working wall electrical outlets, paint chipped walls, etc... things like that. Perhaps the person in charge of PCMR Operations is just really shitty at her job (PCMR is reknowned for DEI hires afterall), but in my experience when I see many "little things" that are indeed trivial not being attended to, it's often a sign of a much bigger problem, typically financial. It would be interesting to hear if people who ski & summer recreate a lot at other Vail properties nationwide are noticing similar sloppiness.

Hawk

Parker's Gore at K, Slide Brook Basin at SB and the Stowe/Smuggs Interconnect (yes this was State of VT) all say hi.

Ski area expansions are expensive in large part b/c of the expense and uncertainty attributable to the Forest Service (or their State level equivalents) and associated regulations.
Actually the Slidebrook lift and the deal they made was brokered between ASC, Warren Town Board and the State. Warren was the biggest obsticle.

BenedictGomez

So you’re saying, if only a white man had been put in charge of things, everything would be perfect ?
That's really what you took from that? Like that's literally how you interpreted that?

Tough to say if you're just ignorant or intentionally stirring the pot, but I am rather bemused by the fact that you regard DEI specifically as being, "not white men".

Now of course that's not what DEI is supposed to be & DEI would rather obviously be 100% racist if that was the actual case....... and yet...... that's immediately where your mind instantly went.

Hmmmm.......

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

I was talking about the person in charge at the top, who is in fact white (since you seem to be rather fixated on race), but not male.

It is also worth pointing out that you obviously didn't even read the article you posted given:

A) You would have learned that the "white man" you're referencing was just hired here literally a few weeks ago.

B) The other, old "white man" you referenced would be quite surprised to learn he's "white" given his heritage.

Not that any of this matters to anyone here. Unless you're a self-righteous social justice warrior hyper-fixated on race (aka The most racist people in all of America).

When will it start snowing?

djd66

I was talking about the person in charge at the top, who is in fact white (since you seem to be rather fixated on race), but not male.

It is also worth pointing out that you obviously didn't even read the article you posted given:

A) You would have learned that the "white man" you're referencing was just hired here literally a few weeks ago.

B) The other, old "white man" you referenced would be quite surprised to learn he's "white" given his heritage.

Not that any of this matters to anyone here. Unless you're a self-righteous social justice warrior hyper-fixated on race (aka The most racist people in all of America).

When will it start snowing?
"(PCMR is reknowned for DEI hires afterall)"

This was your quote. You were the person who brought DEI into the conversation. I think most people would agree, when you mention DEI, part of what you are referring to is race.

BenedictGomez

It amazes me that people that live in Utah and have some of the best skiing in the world, still complain about virtually everything.

It really isn't complaining. I was pointing out that things that a well-functioning business would immediately address agent being addressed, and in many cases remain in that deteriorated (for lack of a better term) state for months or even > year.

And I'm very curious (part of why I pointed it out) & asked if other people here who ski another Vail property many times per year were experiencing the same thing or not.
In other words, is it systemic or endemic? I used to study businesses for a living, so this interests me. As for the snow, I have no issues.

NYDB

That's really what you took from that? Like that's literally how you interpreted that?

Tough to say if you're just ignorant or intentionally stirring the pot, but I am rather bemused by the fact that you regard DEI specifically as being, "not white men".
ok. I’ll bite. What did you mean by it then?

it’s pretty clear code.

BenedictGomez

I think most people would agree, when you mention DEI, part of what you are referring to is race.

Except in the exact specific case actually being discussed race literally wouldn't even apply given the person is in fact Caucasian.

So do you have another point you'd like to also incorrectly apply here or are you done?

Wait..... lemme help you out.

Can me a misogynist instead. That way you can still feel all self-righteous & "good" about yourself inside for the much needed keyboard self-esteem boost, and at least you'd topically be in the correct zip code.

Ay de mi.

BenedictGomez

ok. I’ll bite. What did you mean by it then?

it’s pretty clear code.
Already clarified. But shouldn't really need be given I explicitly mentioned it right in the original post.

Also, DEI isn't code for "race". It applies equally to gender, age, race, sexuality, disability, ethnicity, and religion.

Though I'm heartened to learn others haven't suffered through this corporate American education.