• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summer Plans

hammer

nancie2k said:
will go to vermont a few times to mow the grass and enjoy the mountains.
family live down the shore in little egg harbor, 2 live on lagoons with boats,and i love fishing!!
my dad is paying for his 4 daughters and families to go to florida for 2 weeks in july. that should be fun!!!
I grew up on the Jersey shore near Long Beach Island. My parents were big on fishing, and we also lived on a lagoon, so we went out fishing on the bay a lot.

Never appreciated how nice the beaches were then...

I'll be going back in August to visit family. The water should be nice and warm by that time. :)

zowi420

In between working, hiking, kayaking and being a buffet for north country bugs, I, too, will be spending a week in my old "stompin' ground" of Ocean City, New Jersey!

F

flyingfree

What's doing this summer...

I grew up in NJ too and LOVE the shore! I'm from Northern NJ so I had to travel to get to the water. Part of the reason I moved to Portsmouth, NH was for the ocean.

This is the first summer I don't have a million plans. I used to do a lot of backpacking, but no one wants to go anymore. : (

I have a lot of down time in July. My daughter stays with her dad for 6 weeks and my job is very slow in the summer.

The reason I joined this website is to find some people to enjoy the outdoors with! I'm looking forward to hooking up on some hikes.

I do a lot of biking, kayaking and running too.

Oh, one thing I can count on every summer is going to my company's National Sales Conference. We sit in hotel conference rooms for 12 hours in suits and dresses...my case a dress. (Yes, there is at least one dress some place in the back of my closet) It lasts 5 days and is mandetory. Believe me, I've tried getting out of it many times. This will be my 7th one.

We listen to people drone on and on with powerpoint presentations. We have working lunches and dinners...so that we get EVERYTHING in. They don't want us to miss a thing! And my boss runs around taking attendence. If he doesn't see you (and there are 300 people there, how he does it amazes me), he will find you and give you THE TALK! I got nailed one year skipping out on something and got THE TALK!

The only way around it is to wait until he has a big hangover from his yearly poker party. I can skip out Friday morning 1st thing and he's never caught me. ha ha ha

I work out of the house and am VERY casual. I set my own schedule and only see my boss once a year.

So my fall always kicks off the week of August 16th. Sales conference and then school starts.

I push as hard as I can to enjoy this great New England weather and get all my fun, outdoor activities in.

Hope to be meeting you guys soon!

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
Geez, what is it with us NJ folks ending up in NH. We moved up in 84 when my father was transferred from Somerset NJ to Cambridge MA. We moved to Nashua, but I went to school at UNH and never wanted to leave the seacoast again. Just bought a house in Somersworth in December.

Leaving in a few hours from work to go camping with the family in Meredith. Wooohooo!

-Stephen

hammer

Stephen said:
Geez, what is it with us NJ folks ending up in NH.
I don't know about other NJ transplants, but I came up to Boston over 20 years ago to go to school. Except for summers back home while in college and a few stints out of New England while in the military, I never left...

skibumtress

Re: What's doing this summer...

flyingfree said:
I grew up in NJ too and LOVE the shore! I'm from Northern NJ so I had to travel to get to the water.

Where in Northern NJ flyingfree? I grew up in Wyckoff. Back in NJ again after NYC and LA.

F

flyingfree

Where in Northern NJ flyingfree? I grew up in Wyckoff. Back in NJ again after NYC and LA

I grew up in Ho-Ho-Kus...so we were neighbors. : )

Where do you live now?

F

flyingfree

Geez, what is it with us NJ folks ending up in NH

We had a summer house on a lake in Vermont when I was a kid. When we drove up, I would think: "I'm going to live up here one day."

As much as I love cities, nature has always tugged at my heart. The quieter, more laid back life style has always appealed to me.

I went to college in MA and moved to NH after that from NJ. I lived in the White Mountains for 12 years beginning in 85. They thought I was from Mars...a TRANSPLANT!! It was quite a shock!

So I moved to Portsmouth...for job opportunity, for the ocean, for the laid back eclectic life style. I love the small city atmosphere and knowing the mountains are near for hiking, biking, snowshoeing.

Besides, NJ is WAY OVERPOPULATED!! This NH lifestyle is just fabulous!! : )

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
Never want to go back to North Plainfield. I visited once since we moved... can't go back home again and all that jazz.

Love the seacoast... 1-2hours from anything you want... ocean, forest, mountains, lakes, city, town, and everything in between.

-Stephen

F

flyingfree

Love the seacoast... 1-2hours from anything

I agree, the seacoast is very unique. Every time I'm on my bike, in the kayak, snowshoeing on Mt "A", I can't get over that I actually LIVE HERE.

When I go on vaca I remind myself that I live in one of the best places! It makes it easier to come home.

I have a hard time in the winters...have a dream of buying a second home in Costa Rica for winters. I'm more of a summer person. : )

loafer89

I guess that I live in the wrong place as I dislike the ocean and I am much more comfortable in the mountains. I was born and raised in Bayside, Queens New York, so technically I have been living on Long Island for my whole life. I have been living in Lake Grove for 5 years come June 5th, and it's a nice place, but I would rather live in New England.

As for plans this summer, my son really wants to go the top of Mount Washington via the Cog Railroad and we will do this in the next few weeks.

awf170

loafer89 said:
I guess that I live in the wrong place as I dislike the ocean and I am much more comfortable in the mountains. I was born and raised in Bayside, Queens New York, so technically I have been living on Long Island for my whole life. I have been living in Lake Grove for 5 years come June 5th, and it's a nice place, but I would rather live in New England.

As for plans this summer, my son really wants to go the top of Mount Washington via the Cog Railroad and we will do this in the next few weeks.
how much does that cost now, its very expensive right

ALLSKIING

Staff member
loafer89 said:
I guess that I live in the wrong place as I dislike the ocean and I am much more comfortable in the mountains.
Now Loafer I to love the Mountains summer and winter but I have trouble finding a place I would rather be in the summer. Every morning at 6am jumping on the boat and skiing for an hour is a great way to start the day. How about beaching the boat on the dunes and spending the day there skiing eating drinking sleeping it lots of fun.

loafer89

The Cog Railroad costs $49.00 for adults and $35.00 for children, so it's expensive but not unreasonable. We also want to take the Auto Road up the next day. If there is still enough snow I will consider skiing at Tuckerman as there is alot more snow there this year than last judging by the pictures at www.timefortuckerman.com

I have not been to Tuckerman since May of 1990 :eek:

loafer89

I am afraid that I do not like saltwater or sand and we visit the beach about 1-2 times a year, usually in August when the water is at the bathwater temperature that I like to swim in.

One advantage of Long Island is that the sea breeze keeps things cool into June, when everyone else is sweating things out inland 8) This year the Atlantic is especially cold for the season, I have yet to even consider turning on my AC in the house due to the cool-cold nights.

skibumtress

Re: Where in Northern NJ flyingfree? I grew up in Wyckoff. Back in NJ again after NYC and

flyingfree said:
I grew up in Ho-Ho-Kus...so we were neighbors. : )

Where do you live now?

Yes, we were neighbors. Don't know how old you are but perhaps we hung out at the same places. Used to frequent AB&G's. Still go there on occassion. Way back when, used to work at the Mason Jar.
I live in Clifton now. My Mom is still in the area -- Waldwick.

Funny folks are saying Northern NJ folks have moved to NH. In the past year that's been a thought for me.

skibumtress

Re: What's doing this summer...

flyingfree said:
The reason I joined this website is to find some people to enjoy the outdoors with! I'm looking forward to hooking up on some hikes.

I do a lot of biking, kayaking and running too.

Flyingfree.... a few of us here post on the Kzone board (www.killingtonzone.com) also. A while back I posted on the KZone board that this summer I would be trying to get a group together to bike and/or hike for anyone who wants to join. Would like to explore different places in different areas so NJ, NY, CT and New Englanders can join. So when I get the first gathering together, I'll post it here too.

By the way, if you check out the K-Zone board (although it is a ski forum and not sure if you ski so it may not interest you anyway), don't get scared. Skiing season has ended and a few folks are getting a little nutty at the moment. The majority of the people there are truly good people... and fun! :D

F

flyingfree

Used to frequent AB&G's. Still go there on occassion

Oh boy, Do I remember AB&G's. I'm 43 and was a frequent visiter there from the age of 18 to 22. I also remember the Mason Jar. Good old Paramus...we used to go to a dance club on Rt 17 every weekend, but I can't remember it's name anymore.

Living in NH is wonderful!! I'd recommend checking it out, especially the Seacoast!

check out the K-Zone board

Thanks for mentioning the K-Zone Board. I will check it out. I stopped skiing years ago and now snowshoe. Sometimes I think about taking skiing back up, but haven't been motivated to purchase new equipment.

My garage looks like a sports shop as it is. :) I have just enough room to get my car in around the bikes, snowshoes and kayak.[/b]

F

flyingfree

skibumtress wrote:

(how do you get the little box to work with people's quotes...don't laugh everyone. I know it's a pathetic question)

bike and/or hike different areas so NJ, NY, CT and New Englanders can join

Since I have so much free time in the summer, (watch, this year will be different ha ha) I can probably free myself to bike or hike in NJ, NY or CT. That would be interesting.

skibumtress

flyingfree said:
skibumtress wrote:

(how do you get the little box to work with people's quotes...don't laugh everyone. I know it's a pathetic question)

bike and/or hike different areas so NJ, NY, CT and New Englanders can join

Since I have so much free time in the summer, (watch, this year will be different ha ha) I can probably free myself to bike or hike in NJ, NY or CT. That would be interesting.

Hit the little quote box in the upper right hand corner of the post. Check your PM..... who knows, we may know each other.