• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sundown Bump Clinic Wed March 18th

skidmarks

I talked to Greg about this a bit and here's the deal.

Ellen Shields a past member of the US Olympic Freestyle Squad ('90s) has offered to come to Ski Sundown to do a bump clinic for you guys the afternoon or evening of Wednesday March 18th.

Let me know what time will work best and also get a quick head count. 8-10 would be a perfect size group for Ellen. She is sponsored by Elan/Dalbello so there is no charge for the clinic. Unfortunately I'll be out of town that week so I want to get things dialed in advance.

I'm also trying to get my hands on some demo bump skis (Elan Bloodlines) that we could get out onto the hill. I'll let you know as soon as I get my hands on them.

With a little training perhaps you guys won't get Hunter-ed again

Grassi21

Sounds interesting... If we can get a group together I would be down.

Greg

Staff member
Definitely in. Night (~ 7 pm) would work fine, but I'm not opposed to an afternoon thing around 2 pm if it's warm, sunny and soft.

With a little training perhaps you guys won't get Hunter-ed again

Nice... :lol:

skidmarks

K-27 vs vt

Definitely in. Night (~ 7 pm) would work fine, but I'm not opposed to an afternoon thing around 2 pm if it's warm, sunny and soft.

Nice... :lol:

Hey Watch out, Vinnie, Joey and Paulie are all training for that Bumps or bust thing.

On a serious note Hunter has some bump runs, right? Like the K-27. How does it compare to VT bumps?
Does southern VT have anything to compare with Hunter? Perhaps Magic on a good day?

Greg

Staff member
Hey Watch out, Vinnie, Joey and Paulie are all training for that Bumps or bust thing.

On a serious note Hunter has some bump runs, right? Like the K-27. How does it compare to VT bumps?
Does southern VT have anything to compare with Hunter? Perhaps Magic on a good day?

The Joey perception aside, Hunter is pretty legit and there are a lot of excellent skiers that come out of there. AZers 180, 181 and JimG. are among them. I don't think Hunter and Magic are that comparable. Pretty different hills. Hunter makes more snow on HBK than Magic probably makes on the whole hill. :lol: I guess Mount Snow is somewhat comparable, but Hunter, while smaller, is steeper overall. Hunter steeps and bumps are legit NNE pitch.

skidmarks

Yes I'm from Queens

But I never skied Hunter as a kid. My Father "Mr Euro" used to ski there all the time in the '60s. I only got to go to the Fahnestock rope tow. And then we moved up north and started skiing Mass and VT areas. So is the K-27 a legit DD in your opinion? Is that Hunter's most bumped run?

Greg

Staff member
So is the K-27 a legit DD in your opinion? Is that Hunter's most bumped run?

Lower K-27 seems to bump up more than upper. Steep indeed and a challenging run. Tough to tell from this, but this is looking up Lower K during a Hunter manmade blizzard:

IMG_4664.jpg

Tons of other bump runs too though. All the turns on Hellgate, Minya and East Side, Upper Crossover, Eisenhower, Racer's. Bump lines scattered on the edges of the northern facing trails. The West side bumps up when open. Haven't been to Hunter for lift-serviced at all this year and only a few times last year. It is a great hill and for those of us in Western CT, it's a nice option instead of SoVT every now and then. For those along the 91 corridor, VT is the better option.

Greg

Staff member
In. I prefer afternoon, but will do night if the majority wants that.

Grassi21

Did we pin down a time? The likelihood of me attending depends on the time. Much like others on this thread, late evening/night would be best for me.

powhunter

afternoon would be the best......let us know if this is definate so I can plan on takeing the day off steveo

mondeo

How's 6 sound? Sunlight for around an hour and only requires people to duck out of work a little early instead of taking half a day off.

But I never skied Hunter as a kid. My Father "Mr Euro" used to ski there all the time in the '60s. I only got to go to the Fahnestock rope tow. And then we moved up north and started skiing Mass and VT areas. So is the K-27 a legit DD in your opinion? Is that Hunter's most bumped run?

Right now K is pretty nicely bumped, but Cross Over has much better lines. Broadway and Ike still have seeded bumps and they are sweet.

MR. evil

Count me in for this......I will make what ever time is chosen.