• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sundown Bump Clinic Wed March 18th

bvibert

Staff member
My arrival time is very much up in the air. It depends on when I get to work in the morning. I'm shooting for a 4:30 arrival time, but who knows.

Madroch

Move me from "late" to "out". Family obligations....my legs are also shot (at the moment, anyway).

MR. evil

Have we worked out when and where we are meeting the instructor?

I plan on beeng there around 3:00 to get a few runs in before.

bvibert

Staff member
Have we worked out when and where we are meeting the instructor?

I plan on beeng there around 3:00 to get a few runs in before.

The last I heard was this:

I have the time confirmed with Ellen Shields as 4-8PM. Feel free to join in as your schedule allows...

Meet in the Lodge (4PM) or out on the Gunbarrel depending on what time you can join the group. Ellen will start off with some bump specific stretches before heading out on the hill.

powhunter

Im on the DL for tonight ...back is a little sore from sun and mon....Hopefully you guys that go can pass on the info/tips to us that are unable to attend

steveo

bvibert

Staff member
tips for moving from skiing the troughs to straight-lining it would be appreciated.

That's easy; point your skis straight down the fall line, if a bump gets in your way absorb it with your knees, once you're over the bump extend your legs back down. Repeat as necessary. Don't worry about your speed, just keep going until you reach the bottom, or you explode. It's easy, anyone can do it! Turning is where the real challenge is. :dunce:

gmcunni

That's easy; point your skis straight down the fall line, if a bump gets in your way absorb it with your knees, once you're over the bump extend your legs back down. Repeat as necessary. Don't worry about your speed, just keep going until you reach the bottom, or you explode. It's easy, anyone can do it! Turning is where the real challenge is. :dunce:

in all seriousness, that is excellent advise. problem is getting a feel for the absorbtion. i guess a few beers before skiing (something i never do) would be one way to loosen up and not worry about keeping my speed in check.

Greg

Staff member

I know you're joking, but you're actually kinda right. Mush bumps are the best time to just let them run. Plus you sometimes get slush flying up into your mouth. What's better than that? :lol:

bvibert

Staff member
in all seriousness, that is excellent advise. problem is getting a feel for the absorbtion. i guess a few beers before skiing (something i never do) would be one way to loosen up and not worry about keeping my speed in check.

I know you're joking, but you're actually kinda right. Mush bumps are the best time to just let them run. Plus you sometimes get slush flying up into your mouth. What's better than that? :lol:

Yeah, I was only half joking. I know that's pretty much the extent of it, making it happen is the hard part, especially as you start to pick up speed.

Greg

Staff member

For me, absorption is the simple part. Just point more direct into a bump and relax. This is one area where softer bump skis really help. What I struggle with is getting taller and extending fully to get ready to do it all over again. Practice. Practice. Practice.

I just heard from Ellen. She is on the way and unclear who she is meeting and where. I am trying to get there as well. She'll be there around 2:30 and she wants to ski.

bvibert

Staff member
I'm slowly getting the absorption part, but I'm still doing a lot of absorbing at the waist and/or staying absorbed instead of extending back out.

MR. evil

I just heard from Ellen. She is on the way and unclear who she is meeting and where. I am trying to get there as well. She'll be there around 2:30 and she wants to ski.
I am going to be there around 3:00. I will be wearing tan pants, light blue shirt and a blue helmet with an MRG sticker on the back. I will also be on CaBrawlers.

bvibert

Staff member

I thought Pete was supposed to give her Greg's cell number? Doesn't really matter either way, the bumps are easy to find, and that's where everyone will be.

I hope you can make it too Al.

Greg

Staff member
I thought Pete was supposed to give her Greg's cell number? Doesn't really matter either way, the bumps are easy to find, and that's where everyone will be.

I hope you can make it too Al.

No worries. This sorta all fell in my lap, but we're going to get it worked out. Thanks for your help on this, Al. I'll be there for 3 pm.