• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Bush is 100% open!!!!!

skiNEwhere

100% open even though the castle rock double is closed? I doubt it's a wind hold seeing as the Heaven's Gate Triple is open

bdfreetuna

lol .. sounds like they could have waited a day to claim 100% open then. When isn't Castlerock open to hiking?

gostan

I do not mind them counting the 11 trails at Castlerock when it is only open to hiking. It keeps the snow there longer. I did take exception to adding Inverness in to the early season trail count when Mt. Ellen was only open for GMVS.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Still sounds like a bit of a marketing ploy to claim to be the "first to 100%" without a lift actually spinning on Castlerock.

There will likely be lots of places at or close to 100% by the end of tomorrow.

skiNEwhere

Most skiers think when a resort is open 100% that they don't have to hike any terrain. It is kind of deceitful to advertise as 100% open when it really isn't

gostan

Most skiers think when a resort is open 100% that they don't have to hike any terrain. It is kind of deceitful to advertise as 100% open when it really isn't
I would not go so far to call it "deceitful". Many Sugarbush regulars are very happy to hike to ski Castlerock before the hordes cut it all up. And, this way, there are no worries about passes being pulled.

skiNEwhere

I would not go so far to call it "deceitful". Many Sugarbush regulars are very happy to hike to ski Castlerock before the hordes cut it all up. And, this way, there are no worries about passes being pulled.

I'm sure they don't mind, but also I'm sure they also thought the double was open when they heard that the resort was 100% open, that was all I was trying to say

thetrailboss

Staff member
Sounds like they want to claim to be the first 100% open but could not get staff to run the lift or the snow is not quite deep enough to sustain the masses off that lift.

As folks know opening day for Castlerock can be a real sh%^ show, especially on a holiday. We're talking about 30 minute lines.

EDIT: just saw this. We got our answer:

We should have beautiful sunny skies for most of the day, with 100% of our trails available! Sugarbush currently has the most open runs in Vermont.

No doubt that they probably have a few open rooms and want to get the last minute folks to come up before the storm(s) and make a few more $$$. Might as well have a soft opening to get folks excited I guess. It does seem like pushing the envelope, but I think we'd rather have them open it rather than wait. So pushing the envelope in the right direction I guess.

Last edited:

win

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Here are the facts. Castlerock has been open for several days to hiking. People may hike there at others times when not officially opened but this is not sanctioned. To open officially we post ski patrol at the top and they assess whether or not they can get a sled down safely. They do morning trail checks and afternoon sweeps. Opening to hiking before the lift spins is not new. We have done this in previous years. The reason we do this is to limit the volume. There are a group of people who know Castlerock and don't mind the hike inorder to get some special runs in. The snow cover has been great, but it is still thin with and high volume would trash it in a day or so. With the number o hikers were have had over the past few days it is skiing nicely and getting up so that the snow we get tomorrow will handle heavier volume and that is why we will be spinning the lift at 9am.

bdfreetuna

Thanks Win.

Many times I've been to Sugarbush and there's more terrain actually open than posted on the web. Never the other way around. Lift accessed or not. Sugarbush rocks. You should give me fanboy status discount passes so I can go there more :beer:

bzrperfspec77

Thanks Win! I get sick of reading the "marketing ploy" and "wah wah they are lying to us" posts. Go get it if you can/want. Me, I want it, but can't because of work! Everybody enjoy it tomorrow and friday! Looking forward to reading all the trip reports and watching all of the ski websites.:sadwalk:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
+1

And you could hike to Castlerock at any time any ways. They can't exactly close down the Long Trail. Might not be "officially open" but that sure doesn't stop any one.....

teleo

As one of the SB regulars, I love that they do the sanctioned hiking only to the rock so I do not have to worry about my pass. Hiked over on Mon and it was sweet. Would have been trashed out quickly if the chair was running. Hopefully this storm fixes that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2