• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official "Ughh" Thread

Zand

This year is turning into a slightly colder copy of 2005-2006. Great late November and December into January, then a blowtorch with 1 storm mid January. At this rate we have another storm coming mid February and then nothing till April.

Right now we're looking at a mix for a best case scenario tomorrow and then temps back in the upper 40s to around 50 next week.

04-05 seems like a century ago.

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
I can't speak for Wachusett or Mt. Snow, but everything in Northern Vermont is still 100% open, even the all natural stuff at MRG. The skiing, believe it or not, is far, far better than what I've seen during crappy weather periods in the past. So, get in a car and drive north for a couple of hours. It's worth it.

Zand

Unfortunately, due to my annual "plan way too many VT trips for March and none in Jan/Feb" stuff, I'm stuck around here right now. I know it's probably nice up there considering in March of '06 it hadn't snowed here in 5 weeks and then I went to Smuggs and skied glades all weekend.

Just promise me you guys will save it for another month and a half. ;)

AMAC2233

It's just a shame that down here in Boston we've had about 40 inches of snow this year, and right now most of it is gone. Anything facing south is completely bare, and everything else averages between 0.5 inches and 3 inches in a good spot. In a few days, with the predicted near 50 temperatures, it should all be gone once again. Yeah, it has snowed a lot, but every time we've had a thaw immediately following. Personally, I don't think it has been a great season in terms of weather down in SNE, especially January. Now, February is not looking too good either, for all of NE. We should not regularly be getting NCP. Not in mid-winter. This is probably the third or fourth time I've made this post, but weather like this makes me quite angry. Now, if I could get up north every weekend, I'd be singing a different tune!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think things are gonna be just fine.....maybe not everywhere up north.....but I don't ever recall conditions being bad in March in Northern VT. They'll get their snow. The Loaf will get their late season smattering to.

How people even pay the slightest attention to anything beyond 5 days is beyond me. The last storm last week dropped 10 inches on Wildcat, no one had a clue about it until 3 days prior tops. There's been plenty of fantom storms up in Northern Vt the past several weeks.

NO ONE sat here on Feb 1st and could've predicted the V-Day storm and other great ones to follow. Next week's forecast is weak. That's New England for you. No need to hang your head low though. I've got faith

Last edited:

danny p

I think things are gonna be just fine.....maybe not everywhere up north.....but I don't ever recall conditions being bad in March in Northern VT. They'll get their snow. The Loaf will get their late season smattering to.

How people even pay the slightest attention to anything beyond 5 days is beyond me. The last storm last week dropped 10 inches on Wildcat, no one had a clue about it until 3 days prior tops. There's been plenty of fantom storms up in Northern Vt the past several weeks.

NO ONE sat here on Feb 1st and could've predicted the V-Day storm and other great ones to follow. Next week's forecast is weak. That's New England for you. No need to hang your head low though. I've got faith

good post. voice of reason has spoken.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Personally, I don't think it has been a great season in terms of weather down in SNE, especially January. Now, February is not looking too good either, for all of NE. We should not regularly be getting NCP. Not in mid-winter.
SNE gets NCP all the time in the winter and two big NCP events in mid-winter is par for the course everywhere in New England. Weather outlook not being favorable right now seems to be a result of the La Nina pattern, but take a look at the Mansfield Stake. The Stake has been above average almost every day of the season going back to November 3rd, even taking into account the last rain/freeze event.:eek: This winter has been extremely generous considering an unfavorable La Nina pattern doing its best to ruin the party. As previously mentioned, Northern Vermont is 100% open right now due to three feet of new snow in the past two weeks. I know it is not white down in SNE, but that is not where it counts (speaking as a former MA resident and having been there). Here in Plymouth, we still have above average snow depth. We might have to pay a little now due to our above average November and December. I believe powderfreak is fond of saying that Mother Nature loves her averages. No doom and gloom here, we take the hit, look forward to the next storm, and make the best of things.

snoseek

:snow::snow::snow::snow::snow:Snow vibes sent-look for better times next week.:daffy:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
about an inch of sleet soaked with rain and glazed with freezing rain. ugh

That assessment summarizes all of VT at this point. All areas received about 0.9 inches of rain on Friday. It has been lightly snowing from Montpelier and north since about 3AM, but that inch or two isn't gonna fix things. Today's the day the groomers earn their keep, after the water drains.

I'm still planning on getting out Sunday (since more rain may be on the way midweek next). No decision on destination until this evening's reports, but I suspect I'll be one of the few people with reports on Sunday. While I don't plan on skiing well, I would expect I'll be skiing FAST.

It rained in torrents in Eastern Mass. yesterday afternoon. I expect Wa-wa snowpack has suffered greatly.

KingM

Website
Here's the official word after shoveling off my decks this morning and having the plow guy come and clear up the parking lot.

We started with all snow, then went to tiny, sand-like ice pellets. There was some more snow which transitioned to some freezing rain last night. It is currently snowing very lightly.

Shoveling the couple of inches of snow this morning (I shoveled an inch or two of lighter stuff last night) was very heavy, back-breaking work. It wasn't so saturated, however, that it wouldn't break up and its definitely all frozen now. The groomers should do really nice. Skiing in the woods or on ungroomed trails will be a challenge IMHO.

It's still a net gain, given that we haven't had any big dumps in the last couple of weeks.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
It's still a net gain, given that we haven't had any big dumps in the last couple of weeks.
If natural snow trails and woods are not skiable, it is not a net gain, IMO. I would rather loose some snow and have all trails open than need to wait for another foot of snow to open trails back up again. Net gain of total snowfall perhaps, but the reports coming in from the reports look pretty nasty. Dare I say that Jay gets the award for being the most honest? Yesterday and today's reports were very rank and also funny.

KingM

Website
If natural snow trails and woods are not skiable, it is not a net gain, IMO. I would rather loose some snow and have all trails open than need to wait for another foot of snow to open trails back up again.

I didn't say they weren't skiable, but that they would be a challenge.

Net gain of total snowfall perhaps, but the reports coming in from the reports look pretty nasty. Dare I say that Jay gets the award for being the most honest? Yesterday and today's reports were very rank and also funny.

I'm really not trying to spin this, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as everyone is fearing, at least in the MRV. Here is what Sugarbush and Mad River say today:

Sugarbush:

We've still got a few flurries coming down this morning. I just talked to Patrol and they are saying that since yesterday we've recieved 8 inches of new snow! Though we did get some wet stuff last night, the snow held up great and they're saying that it is already skiing nicely this morning. Today there is a chance for flurries most of the day and the temperatures are going to be in the mid 20s again.

MRG:

The storm continues to rage this morning with some gusty winds. We have picked up a good 3-4" of ideal Mad River Glen snow. We did see some sleet/grapple mixed with the snow overnight and it has a kind of "sandy" consistency to it. We have received exactly the kind of snow we need to hopefully re-open the whole enchilada as this snow stuck to everything very nicely and is clinging nicely to our slopes. There is a tad more snow in the forecast for today so it looks like we'll have some real nice "surfy" skiing for the big Super Bowl Weekend!

JPTracker

If natural snow trails and woods are not skiable, it is not a net gain, IMO. I would rather loose some snow and have all trails open than need to wait for another foot of snow to open trails back up again. Net gain of total snowfall perhaps, but the reports coming in from the reports look pretty nasty. Dare I say that Jay gets the award for being the most honest? Yesterday and today's reports were very rank and also funny.

Jays Snow Report

**Winter Storm Warning in Effect**

Ok, so this is the deal. Heavy snow yesterday morning for several hours before turning toward mixed precipitation in the afternoon then to freezing rain as we approached supper time. It seems that it did flip to all rain for a period between midnight and 1:30am or so, but then stopped before turning back to heavy snow around 4:45am. Heavy snow is still with us here at 6:30am.

Should I come you ask? Well, you need to be your own skier, your own snowboarder today but I will say the following: The wind is blowing hard enough, right now, to keep most upper mountain lifts on delay out of the gate and forecasters aren't calling for them to slow down any time soon--maybe by late morning. Surface conditions, where the groomers have made a pass or two, will be ok but the woods will be titanium. That's, to say, firm.

If you plan on heading to the mountain today, please check back to this area as the snowphones are updated at 8am and 4pm, approximately, only.

If you're headed to the mtn today, despite the less than stellar set up, let me be the first to say, way-to-go.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
That assessment summarizes all of VT at this point. All areas received about 0.9 inches of rain on Friday. It has been lightly snowing from Montpelier and north since about 3AM, but that inch or two isn't gonna fix things. Today's the day the groomers earn their keep, after the water drains.

I'm still planning on getting out Sunday (since more rain may be on the way midweek next). No decision on destination until this evening's reports, but I suspect I'll be one of the few people with reports on Sunday. While I don't plan on skiing well, I would expect I'll be skiing FAST.

It rained in torrents in Eastern Mass. yesterday afternoon. I expect Wa-wa snowpack has suffered greatly.

This is just not true. At Killington things never got wet. Infact between snow and sleet we picked up around 7 inches. Sugar snow for today, conditions are great on the hill.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
That sound have said Jay's reports were very "frank" not "rank" but that was an ironic slip. The report yesterday ended with something along the lines of "becareful if you are driving up tonight, you nut" or something like that. Nut was not the exact word or phrase used but you get the point.

bobbutts

My report of sleet and then glaze is just for my back yard, right near Concord NH in the lowlands. I don't think as much liquid fell in many places above and north of here.

reefer

This is just not true. At Killington things never got wet. Infact between snow and sleet we picked up around 7 inches. Sugar snow for today, conditions are great on the hill.

Thanks Dave, keep us posted. K is on the radar for tomorrow...................still surfing

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
My report of sleet and then glaze is just for my back yard, right near Concord NH in the lowlands. I don't think as much liquid fell in many places above and north of here.
Nasty mix here in Ashland/Plymouth. Not sure if it ever changed over completely to rain but S reported a two hour drive between Concord and Ashland heading home last night with a half dozen accidents minimum including three complete flips. She did 30 the entire drive home on I-93. Roads were terrible. Mountains with good grooming will be the way to go this weekend.