• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official "Ughh" Thread

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
I can't speak for Wachusett or Mt. Snow, but everything in Northern Vermont is still 100% open, even the all natural stuff at MRG. The skiing, believe it or not, is far, far better than what I've seen during crappy weather periods in the past. So, get in a car and drive north for a couple of hours. It's worth it.

Smuggler's Notch seemed to have 75% of their trails open. Yesterday was my first time there and didn't know what to expect. Cool mountain but needs some more snow.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
This is just not true. At Killington things never got wet. Infact between snow and sleet we picked up around 7 inches. Sugar snow for today, conditions are great on the hill.

Based on that, what others are posting and what I saw myself, it looks like Killington could be the winner on this one. I'd like to hear how other mountains near K did.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If natural snow trails and woods are not skiable, it is not a net gain, IMO. I would rather loose some snow and have all trails open than need to wait for another foot of snow to open trails back up again. Net gain of total snowfall perhaps, but the reports coming in from the reports look pretty nasty.

I'm kind of yes and no with this assessment. The fact that a weather event like this renders the natural snow trails unskiable is a negative. Having to wait until the next storm for things to open back up again is also a negative and will test patience.

That said, I think increasing the base in these areas is a positve. The season's a marathon, not a sprint. With so much time left to go I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of time in the short term if it means building a deeper base for the long term. Sometimes these 'crust' events set up as a nice 'shield' protecting snow depths.

It's a bummer that we won't be able to get in the woods again for a bit, but the alternative you suggested rarely exists. How often do we have a weather event resulting in a net loss of snowpack and yet the woods are still skiable this time of year? The only way for that to work is if it rains and then it's extremely warm the next day or there's a persistent thaw where we are losing snow, but it's still soft because of weather.

Knowing that last truth.....I'll take the base building event and just be patient for the next dump.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
My perspective is just biased because the base in NoVT is already "deep enough" for my needs so preservation and access are currently more important than adding a few inches. Just my bias showing :) My original point is that it certainly could have been worse and this is not the end of the world. My previous post was just saying this isn't an event to see through rose colored glasses either. Damage was done but it was not bad damage.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sometimes I neglect to remember your a jay skier. I fully get your perspective now and would to if I was jay skier

lucky bastard :lol:

reefer

Killington Gain

As Allskiing said, definitely a net gain at K. Was there today and not much was closed, if anything really. I was cutting freshies, moving piles of pow, and skiing all of Killingtons woods. Sweet day! Report is coming up and pictures tomorrow!
Thanks for the report yesterday Dave, you made my Sunday! Was out early and got the goods!

ozzy

Tuesday and Wednesday look rough for Killington. Not to worry though it's going to be 5* after it rains...

Tuesday: Periods of rain, mainly before 1pm. High near 49. South wind between 8 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Tuesday Night: Rain likely, mainly after 2am. Cloudy, with a low around 36. South wind between 10 and 17 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Wednesday: Periods of rain before 4pm, then a slight chance of rain and snow showers. High near 40. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Wednesday Night: A chance of snow showers before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 5. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
Doesn't sound nearly as bad in the Mad River Valley. I wonder if things have moderated since last night's forecast. Well, it's still not good, of course.

# Tonight: A few snow showers around this evening. Then a wintry mix expected overnight. Low 26F. Winds SE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precip 70%.

# Tomorrow: Light rain and freezing rain in the morning. Rain showers in the afternoon. High near 40F. Winds SSE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precip 70%.

# Tomorrow night: Mainly cloudy early. Then a mix of wintry precipitation expected late. Low around 30F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precip 70%.

# Wednesday: Cloudy with a wintry mix. Highs in the mid 30s and lows in the mid teens.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I think the forecast has improved a bit.....I don't mind the sleet if it adds up like it did last Friday..

Killington (Base: 1,165', Top: 4,241')

6-day Forecast Discussion Updated for Monday, February 4, 2008

OVERALL SITUATION--TODAY--It's tough to think about anything but the bitter Patriots loss last night but the weather keeps on going. The overall pattern flow will be from the southwest for the first part of this week. We'll be seeing more clouds today with weakening light snow showers pushing in from the west but these will be lacking upper level support to follow through all that much. A beefier batch of snow/rain showers heads our way overnight and into Tuesday morning--otherwise, fairly cloudy but tolerable temperatures and light breezes.

TUESDAY--An early wintry mix batch of showers pushes through mainly early in the day with slightly drier conditions for the afternoon. We could pick up a coating to a couple of inches from overnight before snow showers turn to more icy rain drops instead. Southwesterly winds will be strong early then shifting more westerly as we dry out a bit later in the day. Clouds may thin out later on but reinforcing cloudiness will be on its heels overnight.

WEDNESDAY--With the storm track, or frontal boundary lying through the region, we'll be seeing yet another heavier disturbance slide through with a stronger upper level trough of low pressure. Look for periods of an icy/rainy mix early turn to some snow as the colder air presses back in from the northwest. Winds shift northwesterly and temperatures drop with minor accumulations possible late before tapering off overnight.

THURSDAY--Colder and drier conditions return with a brief ridge of high pressure sliding through aloft.

FRIDAY AND SATURDAY--The storm track which has been moving through us will shift a bit further out to sea with disturbances flaring up to our southeast. A couple of upper level disturbances will be able to churn up occassional snow but accumumulations may be low. Plus, colder air will be draining back in from the northwest as well-CT

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
Hey, we got several inches of snow last night, enough to where they actually canceled school. And while the forecast shoes some sleet and freezing rain to contend with, they've also upgraded how often the snow will fall vs rain over the next couple of days.

Just a couple of days ago the MRG weather blog was showing a warm, rainy disaster midweek, where it looks like we'll end the week with quite a bit more snow than we started. Awesome.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think things are gonna be just fine.....maybe not everywhere up north.....but I don't ever recall conditions being bad in March in Northern VT. They'll get their snow. The Loaf will get their late season smattering to.

How people even pay the slightest attention to anything beyond 5 days is beyond me. The last storm last week dropped 10 inches on Wildcat, no one had a clue about it until 3 days prior tops. There's been plenty of fantom storms up in Northern Vt the past several weeks.

NO ONE sat here on Feb 1st and could've predicted the V-Day storm and other great ones to follow. Next week's forecast is weak. That's New England for you. No need to hang your head low though. I've got faith

I believe Wildcat has recieved 21" now since this statement and more appears to be on the way. You just never know and always gotta try and stay positive