• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

I'm trying to post a photo of a screen capture of a video from a "story" SB posted on Facebook of the top of a tower being flown into place for HG today...but this forum is being a pain in the ass and giving me an error.

But at any rate...towers are going up!

jimmywilson69

I stand corrected. those are new towers. it is what it is. As has been said bigger chairs with slats. It might make a difference, or might not. Its at the top of the ridge which has nothing to the west until you get to the Adirondacks. It'll be windy up there and affect operations.

Tin Woodsman

Woo hoo...today it works...this is what I tried to post yesterday.

View attachment 63140
I'm sure there's an explanation, but this is really mystifying to me. Ripcord is more than wide enough such that they could lower those towers to place the chairs at/below treeline while closing off that last 50 feet of the trail under the lift.

Newpylong

Remember all new aerial lifts need to be designed so that if any one tower deropes the carriers won't hit the ground. Not sure if that's the case here or not, but it's sometimes the explanation why towers are higher than they should be. Sometimes the mountain just asks for it high enoigh so that snowmaking is less of an issue as well.

doublediamond

This has nothing to do with de-roping from the towers. That's only code for when a chair crosses a road or train tracks.

The code for height of any given tower is such that in normal fully loaded start-stops, there is sufficient "headspace" above the snow. And today ski areas make more manmade base than ever.

But in this case, the height of these breakover towers come from the fact that:

1) the unloading point is at a higher height for the re-engineered traverse to Jester, and

2) for code requirements for the size of the unloading zone necessitating the placement of the bull wheel and unloading ramp further to the northeast.

Both of these two points mean the towers MUST be taller than before.

HOWEVER, slatted seat backs and heavier quad chairs will decrease wind susceptibility. And the rest of the line is at lower heights.

Last edited:

Newpylong

I did not mean come entirely off the tower I meant drop into the rope guard on any one tower and the resulting dynamic effects of that fully loaded. Sounds like it's not the case here.

Boxtop Willie

I did not mean come entirely off the tower I meant drop into the rope guard on any one tower and the resulting dynamic effects of that fully loaded. Sounds like it's not the case here.
Swung by the area yesterday. Everything is out of the parking lot. All the hardware is up on the hill. Only thing left on the ground in the lot is the haul rope. Once the helicopter started flying things went fast.