• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Hawk

I would say it's Alterra, Act 250 approval to replace a lift in kind (same profile, same capacity, etc) would occur within a few months, not years.

It would make sense to reuse at least the towers for North Ridge, the concrete and steel should have plenty of life left in them. It's the terminals that typically are the source of frustration.
I'm just not sure what the hold up is. They were not specific or I did not listen carefully enough. I just know is will not be next year because it has not been ordered.

djd66

Given the quick access and crowd factor and great terrain accessible on that lift - NRX is probable my favorite lift on the mountain. Its a bummer that it is not getting replaced. It seems like it was down for various issues too many times over the past few seasons.

xlr8r

Is Alterra, now tightening its budgets like Vail? Northridge was originally going to be replaced simultaneously with Heavens Gate this year, then got pushed to 2025. Liftblog had both Northridge and Tamarack at Stratton as replacements for 2025, now Peter has removed both from the 2025 lift install page.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Is Alterra, now tightening its budgets like Vail? Northridge was originally going to be replaced simultaneously with Heavens Gate this year, then got pushed to 2025. Liftblog had both Northridge and Tamarack at Stratton as replacements for 2025, now Peter has removed both from the 2025 lift install page.
So Alterra is privately held, so as to exact figures, we don't know. That said, earlier this summer Mike Maughan the GM of Alta told the Alta City Council that both Alta and IKON season pass sales were slightly down if not flat. He and others attributed this to the cost and consumer fatigue. Whether that trend continued remains a big "?".

Vail has not acquired any new areas in a few years. Alterra has continued with its purchase of Schweitzer, Snow Valley in CA, and the expansion at Deer Valley. I think that they bought another area in CA. One thing to watch for is what happens to Aspen since the head of the Crown family and the person most involved in running Aspen died last year. I read in the Aspen Times that some think that the Crown family may sell Aspen to Alterra. This was, in part, because there was a turnover of a lot of senior management at Aspen Ski Company. If Alterra DOES buy Aspen then there is more $$$ gone for what would be Northridge.

My critique of Alterra's lift purchases at some of their areas is that they are overkill for what is really needed if in fact the upgrades are necessary. While I think having a top-to-bottom lift at Steamboat MAY help with summer business, making it a 10 MGD was probably not needed when an 8-person might do. Steamboat has done pretty damn well for 50 or so years without a top-to-bottom lift. The last two HSQ's at Deer Valley were wasted lifts IMHO. Both lifts are connector lifts that are literally a 2-minute ride at most. A fixed grip would be more than sufficient. And they are about to install the shortest 6-person direct drive lift in North America for next season. Why? Glitz? I say install a good HSQ and use the extra money to fix Northridge at what is supposed to be Alterra's answer to Stowe.

urungus

OK. Thanks. I thought I might have been missing something. Those are big purchases. Did they end up getting Laax?
Last I heard they were still “in discussions”

Lotso

Local, transplant, what state you are from, age, race, religion, it does not matter. It is apparent to me that there is a total disonnect with a larger and larger portion of Americans with just being a decent person. Manners, patience, politeness, edicate, decency and compassion are in very short supply. It has recently become exceptable behavior to put down, rant and generally belittle anybody that does not conform to your opinion. It appears that people are of the opinoin that thier lot in life sucks and someone else is to blame. I personally do not subsribe to this point of view. The truest of american ideal is debate and discourse with the final outcome of compromise. I think this is actually now lost and with that is the loss of the experiment called democracy. I guess this is just how I am felling lately.
Agreed.

ducky

Local, transplant, what state you are from, age, race, religion, it does not matter. It is apparent to me that there is a total disonnect with a larger and larger portion of Americans with just being a decent person. Manners, patience, politeness, edicate, decency and compassion are in very short supply. It has recently become exceptable behavior to put down, rant and generally belittle anybody that does not conform to your opinion. It appears that people are of the opinoin that thier lot in life sucks and someone else is to blame. I personally do not subsribe to this point of view. The truest of american ideal is debate and discourse with the final outcome of compromise. I think this is actually now lost and with that is the loss of the experiment called democracy. I guess this is just how I am felling lately.
Right on, bud.

raisingarizona

So Alterra is privately held, so as to exact figures, we don't know. That said, earlier this summer Mike Maughan the GM of Alta told the Alta City Council that both Alta and IKON season pass sales were slightly down if not flat. He and others attributed this to the cost and consumer fatigue. Whether that trend continued remains a big "?".

Vail has not acquired any new areas in a few years. Alterra has continued with its purchase of Schweitzer, Snow Valley in CA, and the expansion at Deer Valley. I think that they bought another area in CA. One thing to watch for is what happens to Aspen since the head of the Crown family and the person most involved in running Aspen died last year. I read in the Aspen Times that some think that the Crown family may sell Aspen to Alterra. This was, in part, because there was a turnover of a lot of senior management at Aspen Ski Company. If Alterra DOES buy Aspen then there is more $$$ gone for what would be Northridge.

My critique of Alterra's lift purchases at some of their areas is that they are overkill for what is really needed if in fact the upgrades are necessary. While I think having a top-to-bottom lift at Steamboat MAY help with summer business, making it a 10 MGD was probably not needed when an 8-person might do. Steamboat has done pretty damn well for 50 or so years without a top-to-bottom lift. The last two HSQ's at Deer Valley were wasted lifts IMHO. Both lifts are connector lifts that are literally a 2-minute ride at most. A fixed grip would be more than sufficient. And they are about to install the shortest 6-person direct drive lift in North America for next season. Why? Glitz? I say install a good HSQ and use the extra money to fix Northridge at what is supposed to be Alterra's answer to Stowe.
DV’s new chairs aren’t about the actual ski experience, it’s to sell real estate. They are about to go huge in that department.

The Steamboat gondola isn’t about a top to bottom lapping lift, it’s to relieve the base area crowds and spread people around the mountain helping with the crowded trail junctions etc.

thetrailboss

Staff member
DV’s new chairs aren’t about the actual ski experience, it’s to sell real estate. They are about to go huge in that department.
Alterra owns very little of the real estate. Stern and company sold a lot of it off when the ski area was getting started to survive. In fact, very few folks buy DV day tickets since most are using IKON. It’s about the image. I still stand by spending a bit less to address a more urgent need.
The Steamboat gondola isn’t about a top to bottom lapping lift, it’s to relieve the base area crowds and spread people around the mountain helping with the crowded trail junctions etc.
I’ve heard about the base crowding issue. But again I think there were less expensive yet just as effective solutions.

It’s starting to look like Deja vu all over again as when SB was owned by ASC its revenue was going to Steamboat and another Park City resort (Canyons). Granted that up until now there have been good improvements.

But hey SB skiers enjoy that new Tommy’s Toy next year. 😂