• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

dblskifanatic

I agree.

It's pretty funny that the only thing that isn't getting more expensive (actually less expensive) are ski passes. Who wants to bet on how long that lasts?
That questions has been asked over and over for the past 5 years, Ikon is going in that direction of being more expensive.

kingslug

Depends on the area..People have a lot of money to spend these days..well those that kept their jobs and did well with the market. Look at the home and second home buying craze...

Hawk

I don't think that the general reason that the real-estate market is booming in VT is because people have extra money to burn. I think there is a movement with some people to get out of the city areas and live a cleaner quieter life. That holds true for the people I know that moved to VT. It is certainly not for tax reasons. LOL

mikec142

I don't think that the general reason that the real-estate market is booming in VT is because people have extra money to burn. I think there is a movement with some people to get out of the city areas and live a cleaner quieter life. That holds true for the people I know that moved to VT. It is certainly not for tax reasons. LOL
I agree with this. It's coupled with the ability to WFH. Be interested to see how long the trend lasts.

mbedle

I believe that the booming real estate market is more a reflection of the lack of actual homes to purchase. There was very little new construction last year. Combine that with a large demand, excellent returns on investments and historically low mortgage rates also helps to fuel what is happening.

kingslug

Agree to all that but in the end you still need money to support 2 homes. Its why we bought a small 2 bedroom condo rather than the large ones we checked out. I already deal with monster real estate in NYC. and the house in CT....not interested in adding too much more. Just looking at what they are building right at Stowe..some pretty expensive condos..and I'm sure they will sell them.

Hawk

If you're selling your house in Mass, CT, RI, NY or NJ I think you should have enough capital to afford a condo or small house in VT. What I have seen in the MRV that is driving the market is mostly people moving up to VT not second home buyers. That is what our RE agent told us. Maybe it is different else were.

mikec142

If you're selling your house in Mass, CT, RI, NY or NJ I think you should have enough capital to afford a condo or small house in VT. What I have seen in the MRV that is driving the market is mostly people moving up to VT not second home buyers. That is what our RE agent told us. Maybe it is different else were.
^This is my take too. The big cities are seeing a lot of outward migration. It's being driven by several factors: greatly increased ability to work from anywhere, desire for more (outdoor) space, realization that commuting 2+ hours a day sucks, etc. etc. While I'm sure there were plenty of second home buyers, I would think that the great migration we are witnessing is being driven by primary home buyers.

The thing that I will be curious about is how long will these feelings last. Will city folk embrace the slower lifestyle? Will they have short memories and once again desire the restaurants, theater, etc? Will they realize that mud and stick season may not be for them?

Time will tell.

Smellytele

^This is my take too. The big cities are seeing a lot of outward migration. It's being driven by several factors: greatly increased ability to work from anywhere, desire for more (outdoor) space, realization that commuting 2+ hours a day sucks, etc. etc. While I'm sure there were plenty of second home buyers, I would think that the great migration we are witnessing is being driven by primary home buyers.

The thing that I will be curious about is how long will these feelings last. Will city folk embrace the slower lifestyle? Will they have short memories and once again desire the restaurants, theater, etc? Will they realize that mud and stick season may not be for them?

Time will tell.
No garbage pick, no side walks, no public transportation (or uber). chickens and pigs at the neighbors that smell all so good come August. People shooting shotguns all hours of the day (well I guess they maybe used to gun shots but shot guns/rifles are louder than hand guns)

dblskifanatic

No garbage pick, no side walks, no public transportation (or uber). chickens and pigs at the neighbors that smell all so good come August. People shooting shotguns all hours of the day (well I guess they maybe used to gun shots but shot guns/rifles are louder than hand guns)

Wow you have a very interesting view or is that the Cannon way of saying stay away?

Smellytele

Wow you have a very interesting view or is that the Cannon way of saying stay away?
I live with out sidewalks, garbage pickup and the other situations I mentioned and love it well except for the smelly pigs.
I have just seen people move out of heavily populated areas and then start asking for side walks, garbage pickup and other nonessential perks. These things drive up taxes.
Also have seen someone build a house next to a pig farm and then try to outlaw said pig farm.

dblskifanatic

That is
I live with out sidewalks, garbage pickup and the other situations I mentioned and love it well except for the smelly pigs.
I have just seen people move out of heavily populated areas and then start asking for side walks, garbage pickup and other nonessential perks. These things drive up taxes.
Also have seen someone build a house next to a pig farm and then try to outlaw said pig farm.

What I suspected. I saw the same in my home town in VT. I lived next to a farm and never thought twice about it. When some people move nearby from out of state they went the town and asked to do something about the manure smell. Pretty much were told - Oh well not much you can do about that!

PAabe

I don't mind the smell of chicken or cow manure but pig houses can be pretty smelly
But yeah people moving in from the city and getting mad at farmers for farming is pretty common unfortunately
Here in Lancaster another common complaint from the city slickers is the horses and horse manure on the road. The horses which have been using the roads far longer than automobiles have

cdskier

Its like buying a house next to a busy airport, then complaining about the noise. Its an AIRPORT fer crying out loud!
Those "complaints" come up all the time in my area in NJ due to our proximity to Teterboro and Newark. How either of those is suddenly a surprise to people after they buy a home in this area is beyond me...

1dog

unfortunately for your argument you are quoting 5 year old propaganda. In those 5 years the cost of solar has plummeted, more so than even the rosiest forecasts. So it is incorrect to say solar is only being built because of subsidies. Just not true. What is true is that solar is now lower cost than natural gas or coal, which is why solar installations are being installed by consumers, businesses and electricity providers not just in the US but all over the world.
5 year old? propaganda? 'Big Oil' has beendropped from the S&P ( Exxon/Mobil) it's so big. Well, they said that about Columbus and threw Galileo in jail. . . so . . Here's more recent evidence it's a large waste of taxpayer dollars. https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2021/05/the-green-fantasy-is-a-nightmare.php

Someday it could be a good thing, but since natural gas is half as 'dirty' as oil, and cheaper, why not go there? Best thing for struggling people is to hale lower cost energy, food and housing. And since we are inflation hard assets with cheap money, and food is going way up, heat is good as cheap as we can get it.

Until they can figure out how to store energy, that wind and solar combo are low on the reliance side. Finally, government is the worst allocator of dollars there is.

OPM always is last. Ask the kids who get a free ride their entire life then when money gets tight as adults - they want yours and mine to help out.

The skiing was good on the backside of Monroe last month, but it was a short season for fresh. Hope you all have a good spring/summer. Enjoyable banter.

Hawk

1Dog, again you use articles from Powerline to discredit solar energy. Did you bother to understand who the people writing the articles are? They are a conservative based think tank with ties to many big businesses including big oil. Hardly a fair source to use to discredit solar energy. Do you think your getting an objective spin from them. Nope. Now get me a more credible source and I might listen to the argument. But since I know several people that have successfully paid off their initial investment in solar and are making money now, it will be a hard sell.

And by the way, I like the rural smells of pigs, chickens and cows. HA!

kingslug

Theres a farm across from me in CT...they have a Peacock..that howls..never heard anything like it..and we have no sidewalks. I like it. So VT would be just fine. Some day.