• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

1dog

1Dog, again you use articles from Powerline to discredit solar energy. Did you bother to understand who the people writing the articles are? They are a conservative based think tank with ties to many big businesses including big oil. Hardly a fair source to use to discredit solar energy. Do you think your getting an objective spin from them. Nope. Now get me a more credible source and I might listen to the argument. But since I know several people that have successfully paid off their initial investment in solar and are making money now, it will be a hard sell.

And by the way, I like the rural smells of pigs, chickens and cows. HA!
I grew up on/next to farms - cows, sure. . . pigs, well, I like bacon, . . .all kinds. . . . . good, natural scents, right? If anyone thinks there are objective views from those who benefits from subsidies, those who's checks are paid for by Big Media ( far more powerful than 'Big Oil- who btw invests more and more in alternative energy, because hey, if DC is gonna throw $$ around, they will get in line)

Forget for a minute the source - just take a look at the graphs, the amount of energy it would take to replace fossil fuel is years away. And just try, for a day, to live without all it creates. . . . . it can't be done ( easily, I'd say, at all.

Can't say you didn't like the last one, eh?

Screen-Shot-2021-05-05-at-6.25.30-PM.png

Suffice to say there will be more tree-huggers than not on a forum like this. . . . I'm not for doing nothing, but not at the expense of the poor - 35-75% increase in energy 'because we don't like fossil fuels' aren't gonna help them pay their heat or gas bill.

It was fun to read the dreamers visions. . . . meanwhile, I'll take my fossil fuel-made skis, ride in our fossil fuel lifts, and even ski on fossil fuel, fueled man-made snow - 40-45% of all electricity still comes from coal. . . clean coal they call it now. . . . . . over and out.

Hawk

I am really not a total environmentalist but I do like to think that our country would move in a positive direction. But I also get your attitude. The, Fuck it - lets kick the can down the road and deal with it later. Actually and In reality it does not effect me. No kids to worry about and I will be long gone when the earth is scorched because the atmosphere has been depleted. The argument that the tech does not work well and the production has negative effects is old. You have to start somewhere or nothing will ever happen. So lets keep with the status quo and burn more oil and coal and just say fuck it. No big deal.

Hawk

Also you were touting the use of Nuclear Energy. I would say be careful what you ask for. Aside from Chernobyl and other smaller accidents, you only have to look at Fukushima and the long term effects from that to understand we don't have a handle on that form of energy either. Read this and your taste for Pacific tuna might go away. 10 years later and they are still releasing tons of radioactive water into the ocean. Low levels now but not at the start.

Fukushima Radiation

dblskifanatic

I do believe that renewables will be the way to go, however, the technology for storage is not there yet. Many solar farms and wind farms sell their carbon credits to utilities/businesses that are not so clean to offset oil and coal use. I helped to develop a solar farm and part of paying for it was selling off carbon credits. It is a chess match. If energy gets more expensive it will not be you or I that will be impacted the most it will be the low income folks and families. Even as we speak, gas prices are higher and like I said - the impact is nothing much to me besides paying more at the pump. it hurts the folks that make low wages and have to drive to work.

Hawk

Anybody paying the $135 this weekend to drink beer? HA We are having our own party and going to another with really good music by a well know band. MTB, Beer and Music. Covid must be over now.

cdskier

Anybody paying the $135 this weekend to drink beer? HA We are having our own party and going to another with really good music by a well know band. MTB, Beer and Music. Covid must be over now.

Hah. I guess 300 people must have paid that as they did finally sell out I noticed. So not worth it and I'm not exactly blown away by the lineup of the 7 breweries they're having either.

cdskier

CD, from your place on the mountain you will hear the music I was talking about. It will be fun.

Damn...wish I was going to be up there but I'll be home in NJ this weekend. Not sure yet exactly when I'm getting back up there. Still trying to catch up on shit here at home that I neglected or have to do after spending all winter up there!

cdskier

There will be a new deck once the VT Adaptive addition is completed according to the last plans I saw...

WinS

That is correct. Will be entire length with the new VASS addition.

mikec142

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer.

Any inside info on how Sugarbush will operate this coming season? Back to normal? Retain any of the changes that were in place for this past season?

I know that we are in a world where it's hard to plan and things are subject to change, but some planning must be going on at this point.

djd66

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer.

Any inside info on how Sugarbush will operate this coming season? Back to normal? Retain any of the changes that were in place for this past season?

I know that we are in a world where it's hard to plan and things are subject to change, but some planning must be going on at this point.
I’m guessing they will follow guidelines set up by the state. Hopefully, there will be no mask requirement when you are outside and they can load chairs with max capacity. Wearing a mask outside is rediculous.

WinS

I am sure that Sugarbush and all other Vermont ski areas will follow State and CDC guidelines as they did last winter. There was no evidence of any community spread of COVID-19 last winter at Sugarbush. The few employees who got COVID were infected elsewhere and quarantined along with any others exposed for the required time period. Hopefully, the current spike in the Delta virus is contained so the indoor activities can return to normal which is what all want. I would surmise that some of the new dining options like the Lunchbox and 802 Burrito will be back and the Courtyard will be a popular place to gather. i would also guess that some of the reservations systems will continue with upgrades to them. I believe this is a trend you will see in the industry to improve the guest experience. Over at Mount Ellen the VASS addition with create more space for seating on the first floor and new bathrooms will be present on both floors which will be very nice. The biggest issue facing everyone will be staffing and hopefully J-1s will be allowed back into the USA.

mikec142

I am sure that Sugarbush and all other Vermont ski areas will follow State and CDC guidelines as they did last winter. There was no evidence of any community spread of COVID-19 last winter at Sugarbush. The few employees who got COVID were infected elsewhere and quarantined along with any others exposed for the required time period. Hopefully, the current spike in the Delta virus is contained so the indoor activities can return to normal which is what all want. I would surmise that some of the new dining options like the Lunchbox and 802 Burrito will be back and the Courtyard will be a popular place to gather. i would also guess that some of the reservations systems will continue with upgrades to them. I believe this is a trend you will see in the industry to improve the guest experience. Over at Mount Ellen the VASS addition with create more space for seating on the first floor and new bathrooms will be present on both floors which will be very nice. The biggest issue facing everyone will be staffing and hopefully J-1s will be allowed back into the USA.
Thanks Win. I suspect you're right regarding staffing. I know that the vast majority of summer camps (sleep away) have had serious staffing issues especially with the lack of foreign staff.

rocks860

I’ll be up in waitsfield/Warren next weekend for the first time since winter 2020. Anything particular I should know about/may have missed. Was hoping to go to peasant for dinner on Saturday and maybe American flatbread on friday

Shredmonkey254

I’ll be up in waitsfield/Warren next weekend for the first time since winter 2020. Anything particular I should know about/may have missed. Was hoping to go to peasant for dinner on Saturday and maybe American flatbread on friday
Roxbury Gap will close on 8/15 for 3 weeks so avoid that road if traveling after that date.

HowieT2

the vass addition will be done for this upcoming season?
Surprised SB didnt expand the lodge at least under the deck while the vass project was going on. Seems like it would have been easy/cheap if the deck was being replaced anyway.

Hawk

Flatbread's system of booking is different. No more going early to book your seating. You have to call during business hours and book. FYI they book out for the weekend very fast so you have to call on Thursday if you hope to get a seating. We got shut out last weekend. Well that's not totally true. They offered us 5 or 8 on Saturday but we were not up for real early or thar late. We called on Friday.

The other resurraunts are all different and have various meathods. I would call them to find out sooner than later. Not sure of the status of Peasant. I heard they might be closing? not sure.

cdskier

The other resurraunts are all different and have various meathods. I would call them to find out sooner than later. Not sure of the status of Peasant. I heard they might be closing? not sure.

Peasant is very much still open. Need to call for reservations though. And I'd call sooner rather than later as they book up fast.