• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This is going to get us coming and going

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tin

I'm seeing more individuals with schizophrenia having grandiose delusions about having a solution to all our energy problems but having paranoia about the government or OPEC being out to get them because of their ideas to solve the problem. I wonder sometimes if they are telling the truth.

MadMadWorld

I'm seeing more individuals with schizophrenia having grandiose delusions about having a solution to all our energy problems but having paranoia about the government or OPEC being out to get them because of their ideas to solve the problem. I wonder sometimes if they are telling the truth.

Not much difference between AZ folks and your clients eh?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Glad I switched to solar at my house!

I'm assuming you are still tied into the grid like most people and not fully off? If that's the case, how does the rise in rates affect how your local electric company compensates you for the power your system generates?

Puck it

FYI. To get solar installed on your roof. I have heard the roof has to less than five years old or they won't install panels.

mister moose

But they're going to do this nonsense anyway regardless of how much it hurts, because......well........far-left ideology.

And yes, as mentioned before in this thread it's the poor and the middle class that will be disproportionately HAMMERED by this, because energy is something everyone requires.

If we had listened to the far left in the 70's we'd have been running on a much higher percentage of consistently priced cleaner energy. Here you are 40 years later still kicking the can down the road. Your beloved party is far more guilty, yet once again you play the victim. Typical dishonest egomaniac Republican crybaby.

The reason we aren't on more "consistently priced cleaner energy" is because it was more expensive. And the reason we had price spikes last year is due to shutting down operating plants without enough reserve capacity on line.

Price spikes work very well to motivate voters, it is when consequences of poor short term decisions get fixed. Hopefully more capacity is the result.

WoodCore

I'm assuming you are still tied into the grid like most people and not fully off? If that's the case, how does the rise in rates affect how your local electric company compensates you for the power your system generates?

We are still on the grid and have a 2 way meter. Not sure how the rise in rates will affect us as we've only been solarized since April 1st. My impression is that we will be reimbursed for our credits to the grid based on an average kwh price over the period which would translate into additional $$ if the rates were to rise. Regardless the system was designed to basically generate enough power over the course of the year to offset our usage. We're running way ahead on credits but will wait to see what happens in the remaining months of our first year.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Nice. I've got a couple other friends who have done solar grid tie in projects over the past couple years and they've been very happy with the decision financially.

wa-loaf

FYI. To get solar installed on your roof. I have heard the roof has to less than five years old or they won't install panels.

That's actually something I've wondered about. How hard is it going to be to replace your roof once you have it covered with solar panels?

dlague

Vermont relies almost entirely on nuclear and hydro power (long term contract with Quebec), so ski areas should see a smaller impact.

Maybe in Vermont but with Yankee shutting down, I got to think that hydo alone will not do the trick. Here in NH - the increase will be felt. I work for a utility company and we just increased the power generation part of the bill by 3 cents per KWH. We have 6 ski areas in our service area. Since power generation is deregulated in NH the customer get to choose an alternate power source and we anticipate many will opt for alternate/cheaper generation.

It's stupid shit like this that's part of the reason I left Mass......Every state has some stupid politics in one form or the other, but MA was out of control.

"What do we want?"
-We don't know!
"When do we want it?"
-Now now now!

NH will be effected as well as other New England states.

I think it is funny that so many cry for clean air solutions to energy, yet complain about the appearance of it. When wind turbines are going in people complain saying they are unsightly, when solar farms are being put in people complain about how it looks, when hydro power is available, no one wants the powers lines since they to not look nice either. The utility I work for is looking to build a mega watt solar farm in NH. The objective is to pay for a power source that will have a fixed price. We are looking for locations that are not publicly visible since no one wants these dotting the land scape. We cannot have it both ways. Want clean energy - pay the visual price. Needless to say, solar and Wind are not perfect sources either since there are days with no wind and days that have limited sun, as a result other power generation is required to supplement.

On a final note, what we really need is bigger infrastructure to allow more NG to be distributed in the Northeast. However the cost of doing that is so great at this point that it is not being considered.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Re: Vermont

I really feel bad for resorts and businesses there. Vermont's energy rates went from one of the lowest to one of the highest in a couple years. I'm not an expert, but there are some other things that have "coincidentally" (perhaps) occurred in that same timeframe. One is that GMP purchased CVPS and now controls the wide majority of Vermont. GMP/GazMetro have been "big supporters" of the current State Administration. Coincidence? Also, GMP/Vermont Gas/GazMetro are the ones who have been pushing for an extension of a natural gas pipeline from BTV down to Middlebury. The NIMBY's lined up for that one...claiming that they were on a mission to stop this "fracked gas line". After a bitter fight, the State (loe and behold) approves the pipeline. Within weeks of the approval, Vermont Gas quietly announces that said project will now be 40% more in cost than estimated. The regulators have said that they will review this latest development, but it seems to me that the "regulators" who are supposed to be working to protect consumers have been bought.

Add this to the fact that a certain "green energy" developer was caught self-dealing state funds (and nobody cared) and you see that right now in Vermont nobody is manning the station as certain folks are robbing the public.

Cynical? Perhaps. But in my lifetime I have never seen so much self-dealing and downright robbery as with the crew running things in the State.

BenedictGomez

In my town there has been a lot of talk about (and against) the proposed gas pipeline expansion. Not sure if there are a lot of legitimate concerns or if it's just a lot of NIMBYs complaining.

It's part NIMBY and part ideological zealots who only want Wind & Solar even though it's not possible (and dont understand how or why it's not possible).

The wind turbines haven't solved the problem??????? I'm SHOCKED!!!!!!!

Yeah, wind is the worst of all the solutions from a realistic cost/benefit standpoint. Not to mention, it's ugly. The beautiful Vermont landscape is currently being ruined by these hideous towers, and at great cost.

This contest is already over. Natural Gas is the future of energy in America. No ifs, ands or buts.

Sadly, however, because of political and ideological reasons, we're going to waste BILLIONS and BILLIONS of dollars from taxpayers paychecks anyway.

hammer

Also, GMP/Vermont Gas/GazMetro are the ones who have been pushing for an extension of a natural gas pipeline from BTV down to Middlebury. The NIMBY's lined up for that one...claiming that they were on a mission to stop this "fracked gas line". After a bitter fight, the State (loe and behold) approves the pipeline. Within weeks of the approval, Vermont Gas quietly announces that said project will now be 40% more in cost than estimated. The regulators have said that they will review this latest development, but it seems to me that the "regulators" who are supposed to be working to protect consumers have been bought.
Hmmm...makes me wonder about the proposed project in Mass. Actually I've had a lot of issues with cost estimates for projects in my town recently but that's an entirely different soapbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.