• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This Weekend - Best Bang For Your Time

SnowRock

Wife is headed out of town this weekend and I was looking to get out for my first day(s). Burning a vacation day Friday so the question is where do I go?

Not super concerned about best on mountain deal but looking to maximize drive time and terrain options. Packing the car tonight so can leave straight from manhattan once I wrap a meeting at 4.

Any thoughts?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
From Okemo's snow report:

Last night was an awesome snowmaking night; we made snow on 9 trails: Village Run, Heaven’s Gate, Screamin’ Demon, Lower Arrow, Lower Mountain Road, Defiance, Sapphire, Fairway and Jolly Green Giant. We currently have a total of 14 runs open and 4 lifts spinning! By this weekend we anticipate having 20 trails open and 6 lifts running.

That's where'd I go. They do an awesome early season product.

Madroch

Stowe or okemo- I would say okemo hands down if the quad soon to be six pack was ready....if cruising is your thing

SnowRock

Stowe or okemo- I would say okemo hands down if the quad soon to be six pack was ready....if cruising is your thing

Mid season not sure Okemo is my thing but now maybe it's the play. I love stowe and have done the drive to south Burlington after working a full day before, but they don't open till Saturday and I need to get the better half at the airport Sunday at 2. Makes that a long drive for the time on snow.

skiMEbike

I understand this may be a bit too far, but: Get to the Loaf !!

They are killing it this year with some of the most open early season terrain in recent memory....They should have Gondi line open along with Kings, Hayburner, & Tote and snowmaking underway on some of the beginner terrain (Landing, Boardwalk, & LWinters Way). They will be turning Skyline, Superquad, and possibly Double Runner (if they can get the beginner area open). The amount of open terrain & vertical they'll have open has to be one of the better values for this time of the year.

WWF-VT

I understand this may be a bit too far, but: Get to the Loaf !!

They are killing it this year with some of the most open early season terrain in recent memory....They should have Gondi line open along with Kings, Hayburner, & Tote and snowmaking underway on some of the beginner terrain (Landing, Boardwalk, & LWinters Way). They will be turning Skyline, Superquad, and possibly Double Runner (if they can get the beginner area open). The amount of open terrain & vertical they'll have open has to be one of the better values for this time of the year.

You can't be serious...the OP is in NJ. There is no way Sugarloaf is worth a 7-8 hour drive at this point of the season.

skiMEbike

You can't be serious...the OP is in NJ. There is no way Sugarloaf is worth a 7-8 hour drive at this point of the season.

I wouldn't joke about this...Skiing is serious stuff. If consideration is being given to Stowe, then the Loaf could be another option...what's another 1 hour 20 minutes of driving (according to google maps).

tnt1234

Well, the OP needs to be back in NJ by 2 on sunday....that makes it tough I would think....

Maybe drive to Stowe Friday night, ski, back in car, drive down to.....Bellaerye...ski there Sunday AM, drive to airport?

tnt1234

Anyone know the real skinny on Stowe re: what will be open saturday?

spiderpig

My bias would say Okemo, but I have never been to Killington early season. Both should have a lot more open on Saturday than today. Not sure if either would open more tomorrow than they have now. Okemo will probably cost less, but the absence of the main lift is annoying.

mbedle

From what I can tell, just the mansfield quad will run with mostly intermediate terrain open. Nothing on spruce or the gondola. They apparently are blowing on lifeline, so a slight possibility that may be open. On another note, did anybody see the video of the microburst damage at Stowe. Be interested if they clean it up or just let all the trees rot on the hill.

tnt1234

Oh, right, the OP has tomorrow too....

Stowe not open till Saturday....is the loaf open tomorrow?

Jay opens Sat. I think...

Okemo looks like more open....