• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Thoughts on Discount Warehouses

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
It's a realtive thing. If it was just me and my wife living in an apartment, then no way would I think that my BJ's membership is worth it. But with me, my wife, 2 young kids and a couple of dogs and my CT house and my ski house, BJ's is great! For my household, BJ's is mainly used for paper products, dry foods (cereal, crackers, snacks), toiletries and carbonated beverages. Occasionally I'll get some frozen good there also. Fresh produce, meats, etc, it's either my local farm stands, or grocery store.

The nice thing is that when I goto my ski house in VT, right at the exit where I get off I-91, I have the same grocery store that I shop at most of the time in CT (Big Y) AND a BJ's right there to pick up supplies for the ski house.

BTW, tommorrow, a BJ's run is on my list of things to do :)

That could be the most valid argument yet. The only thing I see wrong with it is the fact that you only mention certain items. For a membership fee and if you're buying in bulk, I figure you should get a price guarantee on all. Do they offer a price guarantee?

bvibert

Staff member
I like them because they have those nice people checking your receipt your way out to make sure that you remembered take all of your purchases and didn't leave anything at the checkout line. 8)

deadheadskier

Staff member
Haven't done the wholesale deal as an adult, though I am in the market for snow tires this winter, so I might check out BJ's.

In general, the lady and I have very little use for bulk as our place is somewhat tight on storage.

BeanoNYC

The nice thing is that when I goto my ski house in VT, right at the exit where I get off I-91, I have the same grocery store that I shop at most of the time in CT (Big Y) AND a BJ's right there to pick up supplies for the ski house.

:)

Ahhh....gotta love that last piece of civilization on the Mowhawk Trail.

drjeff

Ahhh....gotta love that last piece of civilization on the Mowhawk Trail.

It's almost getting too built up in that little stretch right now! Heck, I now have to choose between Applebees, The 99, Friendly's, Bickfords, Taco Bell/KFC, Mickey D's, or Subway if the family hasn't eaten yet when we get off at Exit 26. And then there's the shopping mecca's of Big Y, Home Depot, BJ's, and Staples all there too. One stop chain shopping at it's finiest! ;) :rolleyes:

Philpug

If Brian didn't go there, I would have. Got into an argument with a receipt checker at Home Depot yesterday, actually. My wife and Mother-in-Law were not impressed...

Not impressed with your argument? :smash:

I've always enjoyed BJs..ever since I was 18..but some can be really sloppy...managers need to mop the floor more often..

snoseek

If Brian didn't go there, I would have. Got into an argument with a receipt checker at Home Depot yesterday, actually. My wife and Mother-in-Law were not impressed...

I don't know your situation but why do people get so bent at the actual checker about this. Take it to the management or better yet go to a different store.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I don't know your situation but why do people get so bent at the actual checker about this. Take it to the management or better yet go to a different store.

Even better, don't argue, just walk out the door. You payed for your goods, you have the receipt, what's the problem.

BeanoNYC

Even better, don't argue, just walk out the door. You payed for your goods, you have the receipt, what's the problem.

LOL, Andy. Snoseek: I didn't argue with the receipt checker until he chased me down and started yelling at me. That's when I had the problem.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
LOL, Andy. Snoseek: I didn't argue with the receipt checker until he chased me down and started yelling at me. That's when I had the problem.

Well then, you're just too much of a hot head. You should have just kept quiet and kept on walking. If you wanted to say anything, you could have just calmly asked him if he got a raise putting him above minimum wage.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
I won't go on too much here about the receipt checking, but it seems that the stores feel that they can not trust their checkout people. It's a sad situation but if one well-placed person can prevent thousands of dollars of theft per week, that's good for the honest people.