• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Thoughts on Discount Warehouses

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I won't go on too much here about the receipt checking, but it seems that the stores feel that they can not trust their checkout people. It's a sad situation but if one well-placed person can prevent thousands of dollars of theft per week, that's good for the honest people.
They have self-checkouts, too, so it's not necessarily that they don't trust their checkout people. I never go to a manned checkout at BJ's. The line is always too long and it's just not worth the wait.

Just sayin'.....

Stache

Website
WWW.SKIWITHSTACHE.COM
Two thoughts after reading above.
#1. Secveral times I see something in Sam's and then see the exact same thing in Wal-mart for less! Huh??

#2. I have about a 50% success rate with self checkout. Must be me, but half the time I wind up getting system is locked up and needing the attendant's help and I would have been quicker to go to the regular checkout.

Philpug

I am not a fan of self checkouts, like Stache says, it is about a 50% success rate.

As far as the discount clubs...afternoons are the best time to go.

BeanoNYC

I am not a fan of self checkouts, like Stache says, it is about a 50% success rate.

As far as the discount clubs...afternoons are the best time to go.

I love self checkouts. It's the idiots who are going before me that I don't like. I'll run into problems sometimes with a frozen item. Just need patience.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I think I've had a problem with self-checkouts maybe <1% of the time. I always use them. Then again, with 2 crazy kids in tow, I need to get out of the store fast and don't usually have the time to wait in line for a manned checkout. The only downside is nobody to bag groceries (at a regular store - obviously this doesn't apply at BJ's). But sometimes the attendant for the self-checkouts will do that, too.

Moe Ghoul

I think I've had a problem with self-checkouts maybe <1% of the time. I always use them. Then again, with 2 crazy kids in tow, I need to get out of the store fast and don't usually have the time to wait in line for a manned checkout. The only downside is nobody to bag groceries (at a regular store - obviously this doesn't apply at BJ's). But sometimes the attendant for the self-checkouts will do that, too.

This prolly belongs in the "What annoys you" thread, but it's a pain in the ass bagging up stuff at BJ's unless you bring your own bags, which we do. Otherwise, you're at the mercy of the box bin, and most of the boxes these days are 3 sided, so you can't get much in them.

BeanoNYC

This prolly belongs in the "What annoys you" thread, but it's a pain in the ass bagging up stuff at BJ's unless you bring your own bags, which we do. Otherwise, you're at the mercy of the box bin, and most of the boxes these days are 3 sided, so you can't get much in them.

I just don't bag there. I'll wait until I get home then throw things in bags or tub.

I love self checkouts. It's the idiots who are going before me that I don't like. I'll run into problems sometimes with a frozen item. Just need patience.

I also like self-checkouts..I think they should have a sign saying..If you are over age 50..stay away..lol..it's the old folks who hold up the line..

ctenidae

Stop and Shop in Natick apparently has a new twist on self checkouts- you carry a scanner gun with you, pick out your stuff, zapping as you go, then zap a bar code in the checkout, pay, and go.

I bet prices haven't gone down by a checker's wages, though.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
There's a pretty good discount on Deli items. For example, at the local Stop & Shop, a single rack of baby back ribs costs around $18. At BJ's I can get a 3 pack for $25. Kingsford charcoal is also a really good buy (2 21.5 lbs bags for 12.99) however, I've seen it on sale at Home Depot for 10.99 around the 4th of July.

For me, the main benefit is not having to make a weekly trek to the supermarket. We have plenty of storage room, and recently bought a small chest freezer for the basement to keep a larger supply of frozen meats handy. I'd rather make a monthly trip to BJ's and stock up, then just have to pick up some fresh milk at the supermarket after work one day.

Mike P.

Against my better judgement......

If your loading up on meat in an extra freezer, the cost of the freezer & the electricity to run it (electricity - energy prices have been going up even faster than food) has to be allocated into the cost of goods consumed.

If you need an SUV or a van to bring home all your goodies because they don't fit in a Kia or a Prius, that should be factored in.

From home, you could ride a bike everyday to the local market, pick up some fresh food. While the steak may be 1.00 a pound more & the meal cost you $5.00 more You've saved gas, you've got a workout of the deal & you could skip the gym membership or buying the treadmill for yoru basement.

Now if live within walking distance of biking distance of the giant box store, then I guess you have some quality of life issues to work out & smog & pollution don't bother you.

As far as all the idiots in the self-check-out line that make me go to the retro check out where I can interact with a 16 year old who wants to be there even less than I do, (not always but what kind of rant would it be if I wasn't whining) these are the same people who are driving too slow in front of me or are tail-gating me once we leave the store.

Look in the mirror, you're probably one of them (we all are) if you're not a slow poke making sure you don't put your canned food on top of your bread, you're one of the jerks who are in such a hurry to get out of the store you don't give me ac hance to bag my food before yours is coming down the belt. Luckily for both of us, i don't end up with your food in my bag.

But then again, I don't eat the same swill you do.....

wa-loaf

If your loading up on meat in an extra freezer, the cost of the freezer & the electricity to run it (electricity - energy prices have been going up even faster than food) has to be allocated into the cost of goods consumed.

If you need an SUV or a van to bring home all your goodies because they don't fit in a Kia or a Prius, that should be factored in.

From home, you could ride a bike everyday to the local market, pick up some fresh food. While the steak may be 1.00 a pound more & the meal cost you $5.00 more You've saved gas, you've got a workout of the deal & you could skip the gym membership or buying the treadmill for yoru basement.

Now if live within walking distance of biking distance of the giant box store, then I guess you have some quality of life issues to work out & smog & pollution don't bother you.

As far as all the idiots in the self-check-out line that make me go to the retro check out where I can interact with a 16 year old who wants to be there even less than I do, (not always but what kind of rant would it be if I wasn't whining) these are the same people who are driving too slow in front of me or are tail-gating me once we leave the store.

Look in the mirror, you're probably one of them (we all are) if you're not a slow poke making sure you don't put your canned food on top of your bread, you're one of the jerks who are in such a hurry to get out of the store you don't give me ac hance to bag my food before yours is coming down the belt. Luckily for both of us, i don't end up with your food in my bag.

Wow, you're mad at everyone. I think you need to load up the SUV and hit a box store for a couple cases of beer and unwind. :wink:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com

WOW, some very good points! :)

cbcbd

Free samples... load up on them... eat your membership's worth...

What's not to like?

What's with all the pissed off people...
and what is the problem with receipt checkers? Is that extra 30 seconds that precious?
My CT Costco's receipt checker was this dude that had a Little Richard look and attitude... it was awesome talking to him everytime I'd have my receipt checked - he'd be like "All riiight! Check!" :D

Philpug

About 5 years ago, I bought my first plasma TV at Costco. It was an Akai for 2700.00 I used it for 18 months then returned it. At the time the same TV was now 1800.00. I still got my 2700 back. I bought a 2100.00 Panasonic and shopped free for almost a year. About 6 months later the policy changes to 90 days for electronics.

With all the money I have spent since there, they are still ahead of the game and have a customer for a long time.

Mike P.

Mostly tonue in check, well the cost analysis & the shopping local, especially if you can bike there (in notice in beach towns, most bikes have baskets for carrying your beach stuff or the nights meal) saves cost of acquiring the food & you get a workout getting it.

For the slow pokes & people in too big of a hurry, I'm one of them too, If your on my bumper tail-gating me, your p'ed off at me for going to slow & if I'm on your bumper, your mad at me for tail-gating, it's all a matter of perspective.

When I first read 'receipt checkers" I first thought you meant the compulsive people who buy $250 worth of food, don't watch the clerk scan it & then read the receipt. Why weren't you paying attention.

For everything that might of scanned higher than it was marked, there is just as high a chance something scanned lower. Are you going to complain they under charged you?????

As far as the guys near the exits (or the Sr. Citizen greeters or handi-abled at Wal-mart) they are just doing their job. Just like the cashier at the gas station isn't responsble for gas being $4.25 & they din't take a cut in pay to bring you cheap $3.89 gas either.

I'm just ranting, a polictically correct rant is neither....

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com

Ok, some good points, HOWEVER, I don't pay for gas... I haven't since 2005. I have a 2008 Escape Hybrid to load up as much as I want from the warehouse.

It also makes a damn fine ski trip vehicle, great traction in the snow with the weight of the batteries!

wa-loaf

Ok, some good points, HOWEVER, I don't pay for gas... I haven't since 2005. I have a 2008 Escape Hybrid to load up as much as I want from the warehouse.

It also makes a damn fine ski trip vehicle, great traction in the snow with the weight of the batteries!

Last I checked hybrids still run on gas. ;-)