• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Trail Count Predictions for Tues/Wed

skiur

I'll be going to Killington Wednesday unless the storm is even better than the maps I've shown are saying and there is in fact an across-the-board terrain expansion at several or more mountains. Killington I would be surprised if they aren't up to 30 by Wednesday and 40 after the weekend.

Would love to go to Wildcat but it's a bit much for a solo day trip.

Pass whatever you are smoking over here!!

bdfreetuna

wtcobb knows how to do the math. I didn't think I was the only mathematician here.

Either way it'll be my first day out of the year due to various circumstances (mainly weather) so I'll let you know how Killington handled a fresh foot.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Then there are those that just step into shit without a clue.

There are 2 types of people:

1) People who ski the surprise powder days because they decide to gamble and go
2) People who miss the surprise powder days

and there are those who destroy their skis halfway down the mountain because they thought a foot of snow could cover rocks and debris.

cdskier

I think the best idea if we do get a foot is to go somewhere that has a "the woods are never closed" policy. Wednesday could be fun.

I hope this was a joke...a foot wouldn't be enough to be able to ski many actual trails, never mind cover up the woods to make them skiable.

and there are those who destroy their skis halfway down the mountain because they thought a foot of snow could cover rocks and debris.

Absolutely agree with this. With an existing base a foot of powder is great and then I could understand rushing to get somewhere for the storm or positioning yourself to be able to be somewhere if it actually happens. But with no existing base I'd never even think about skiing most trails that have not had any snowmaking yet even if an area dropped the ropes on them for some reason. This storm could be a good foundation for the next storm, but right now I don't see it getting much new terrain open by itself.

Cornhead

It's true. You'll never have to worry about stepping in shit while sitting at home on your couch.

Depends where you live. There's always that lovely feeling of cat barf through your toes walking through your house in the dark.

drjeff

My wife, who's skiing at Mount Snow today while I'm home in CT working (Ugh!!) is texting me that they've got about 2" of sleet/snow at the base and about 3-4" as high up as you can get (The top of the Canyon Quad) right now that is skiing like wonderful spring corn. They're working to de-ice the Bluebird now to get summit access soon. Still sleeting (or at least that what she's telling me the primary precip form is now) pretty heavily

VTKilarney

Burke is consistent with my backyard tally. They are reporting a "heavy three inches."

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Those who were going to Wildcat... 7 inches on the snow report (expecting another couple inches).

I'm jealous I didn't get to go out today... but considering every mountain has ~3 ways down at the moment... whatever's open will be moguls in 2 hours. Fresh tracks gone in about 30 minutes. Combined with fog and wind and I'm kinda not jealous.

FreeShred

About 3-5 inches here in Portland, ME so far today and on the heavier side, slightly mixed precip this morning on my walk to work but all frozen. I'm thinking sunday river and sugarloaf will start opening more terrain tomorrow with the snow from the weekend, todays snow, and likely heavy snowmaking. I'd imagine by this weekend a solid amount of terrain will open up (Relatively speaking) since they'll want to capitalize as much as possible on this holiday weekend.

I'll either be surfing tomorrow AM or at Sunday or Sugarloaf shredding, and then probably head up for one of the day's this weekend.

bdfreetuna

Looks like Wildcat did well, Sugarloaf is gonna do well, Killington is gonna do well.

K says 40 trails open for the weekend. And something like back up to 30 today or tomorrow (I suspect a couple more tomorrow).

As for skis, woods, rocks and sticks, some of us are more equipped than others. My skis are '09's and in pretty poor visual condition. Great skis. But if they get busted and I have to get a new pair of Dynastar Powertrack 89's... I won't be at all upset.

〽❄❅

benski

About to get first chair on gate house!!! Pushover should open soon.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

I headed out this morning around 8 with about 4 inches on the ground. It was pelting sleet while clearing my truck off. Around exit 23 it switched to a fine snow. Cannon reports 6-7 inches with some additional accumulation later today. It recently turned to sleet in Plymouth but shows as snow on radar.