• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tuckerman Ravine

C-Rex

I'm looking to hit Tucks within the next few weekends. I've never been but it's been on my hit list for a couple years now. I'm trying to make a pack list so I can figure out what I have and what I still need. I don't want to pack like I'm trying to summit Everest but I want to be prepared. So what are the essentials?

dmc

For Tuckerman Ravine - it really depends on weather your staying at the shelters..

My advice is: If it looks like it's going to be sunny - pack for snow...

Last edited:

dmc

andyzee;617799 [url said:
http://timefortuckerman.com/packcalc.html[/url]

Love the picture of M@ weighing his kid... :)

C-Rex

For Tuckerman Ravine(no "S") - it really depends on weather your staying at the shelters..

My advice is: If it looks like it's going to be sunny - pack for snow...

:oops: Fixed.

We'll grab a hotel nearby.

Here's what I have so far:

My riding gear (board, boots, goggles, helmet, gloves)
Layers for anything between "sunny and 50's" and "blizzard"
Water, food
TP
GoPro HD
Trash bag

I'll also probably throw a little survival/first aid kit together. What else? Do I need crampons? Poles or at least one collapsible? Any suggestions on where to stay?

dmc

I'll also probably throw a little survival/first aid kit together. What else? Do I need crampons? Poles or at least one collapsible? Any suggestions on where to stay?

Please don't use crampons unless you have an ice axe..

Poles are handy...
Beer is good..
Suntan lotion..

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
:oops: Fixed.

We'll grab a hotel nearby.

Here's what I have so far:

My riding gear (board, boots, goggles, helmet, gloves)
Layers for anything between "sunny and 50's" and "blizzard"
Water, food
TP
GoPro HD
Trash bag

Crampons are nice, but if i have to choose between crampons and axe, I'll take the axe. Poles, yes. Any backcountry skiing or hiking, I take first aid kit. You can stay at Pinkham Notch right at the foot of the Tux trail. I like to stay at the Royalty Inn in Gorham, not too far, inexpensive, and clean.

Edit: Also, getting to Tux is easy, but if you plan on checking out some other parts of Mt. Washington, map and/or GPS may not be a bad idea.

C-Rex

Thanks a lot guys.

I'm looking to get more into BC riding, and eventually into big mountain stuff. I spent some time hiking in north Lake Tahoe this season and fell in love with it. I've been eying splitboards lately. I like the idea of skinning up and riding down. So much more satisfying and plus, even with club deals and whatnot lift tickets get expensive.

dmc

Crampons are nice, but if i have to choose between crampons and axe, I'll take the axe

It's super important that crampons ONLY be used with an ice axe... You try to self arrest with only crampons and you'll break a leg or worse.. If you have an ice axe you can lift your feet off the snow to keep your crampons from catching and use the axe to self arrest.

I've seen this happen a few times... It's ugly...

dmc

Thanks a lot guys.

I'm looking to get more into BC riding, and eventually into big mountain stuff. I spent some time hiking in north Lake Tahoe this season and fell in love with it. I've been eying splitboards lately. I like the idea of skinning up and riding down. So much more satisfying and plus, even with club deals and whatnot lift tickets get expensive.

http://splitboard.com/site/Splitboard_Home/Splitboard_Home.html

dmc

Oh, I've been all through that site. Just looking for the right board without breaking the bank.

Good advice about the crampons too. I definitely need to learn more on the mountaineering side of things. All in good time.

that being said - you probably don't need crampons.. The kick steps are usually enough..

Start out on something easy -like Right Gully - easy climb - not a ton of traffic..
then hike up to the snowfields... totally sublime...

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
that being said - you probably don't need crampons.. The kick steps are usually enough..

Start out on something easy -like Right Gully - easy climb - not a ton of traffic..
then hike up to the snowfields... totally sublime...

Actually if it is a nice sunny clear calm day, go up Right Gully and up into the snow fields right away.

The views and snow are incredible up there during the first half of the day. Ski down the snow fields and then down into right gully (the top of which is in the lower left corner of the second picture where you can see the tiny people). Appolgies for the obsurdly large picture.

5107814.jpg

DSC05560.jpg

Last edited:

dmc

REsize PIX please? :)

Or ride snowfields and head over to the Lip, Chute or left Gully

Puck it

Actually if it is a nice sunny clear calm day, go up Right Gully and up into the snow fields right away.

The views and snow are incredible up there during the first half of the day. Ski down the snow fields and then down into right gully. Appolgies for the obsurdly large picture.

5107814.jpg

Looks good on my 25" screen and even on the ipad.

dmz is just a whiner about large pics. He is pic envy.

SIKSKIER

DMC has given you great advice on the use of crampons but he mentioned kicksteps are probably all that is needed.Which got me thinking about snowboard boots.DMC,given the firm conditions of late,are you able to set booters effectively with those boots vs a rigid alpine/at boot?