• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Uphill Resort Skinning… a warning

raisingarizona

Such cheap BS to hike uphill on a groomed trail when you know damn well there’s a charge to pay. Screw those people.
I disagree, especially in an area that more often than not relies on man made snow to even be in play. That stuff is expensive and the pass is like a legal agreement that holds you to their rules. If you don’t like it then go clear your own approved glade on private or public lands. You’ll probably find that that process too can be very expensive and time consuming, much more so than buying an affordable pass and helping out a small, mom and pop ski area thats at least cool enough to allow the practice.

Edd

I disagree, especially in an area that more often than not relies on man made snow to even be in play. That stuff is expensive and the pass is like a legal agreement that holds you to their rules. If you don’t like it then go clear your own approved glade on private or public lands. You’ll probably find that that process too can be very expensive and time consuming, much more so than buying an affordable pass and helping out a small, mom and pop ski area thats at least cool enough to allow the practice.
I think you misunderstood my post or I’m misunderstanding yours.

Not exactly. They don’t recommend it, but if you do stay away from ski workers and wear a light

Not how I read it. I have not been after hours in season, but they use almost the exact same language preseason and are cool with it. I believe the language is to cover themselves since there is no ski patrol on the hill.

machski

Not how I read it. I have not been after hours in season, but they use almost the exact same language preseason and are cool with it. I believe the language is to cover themselves since there is no ski patrol on the hill.
Didn't Burke (still a sister resort I guess) have an uphiller killed after hours last year or two ago by a winch cat? Pretty sure they both came down on after hours skinning after that. I think that is the biggest concern more than no patrol, mountain ops can being doing things that are hazardous to a climber/skier outside of operating hours.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Didn't Burke (still a sister resort I guess) have an uphiller killed after hours last year or two ago by a winch cat? Pretty sure they both came down on after hours skinning after that. I think that is the biggest concern more than no patrol, mountain ops can being doing things that are hazardous to a climber/skier outside of operating hours.
Not killed, but a close call. It was at Burke.

jimmywilson69

I get trespassing on private property, that is always a crime. Posting this dribble on Instagram is beyond pretentious and obviously super lame. A social media post like this should also be a crime.

A simple reminder that the resort is private property, closed during the week (or whatever schedule), and that skining was not allowed would've sufficed.

danimals

JimG.

Staff member
Eagle point is only open Friday to Saturday. They market fridays when there’s midweek snow as “powder fridays” and is something their customers expect and buy into. It’s also on private land. I kind of understand it.
I totally understand it...those guys are total dicks and deserve some kind of punishment.

Dickc

Eagle point is only open Friday to Saturday. They market fridays when there’s midweek snow as “powder fridays” and is something their customers expect and buy into. It’s also on private land. I kind of understand it.
Its that dog gone entitlement fever that seems to be running high in the USA. Maybe we need more Eagle Point responses to tamp it down some.

cdskier

I totally understand it...those guys are total dicks and deserve some kind of punishment.
I completely agree and have no issues what-so-ever with this. You can't just do whatever you want on private property. (Heck even on public property there are still rules you need to follow).

jaytrem

Interesting approach for sure, definitely sends a message. I wonder if the offenders were warned in the past.

I got a powder day there once, fresh tracks all day. Was shortly after they reopened and was crazy empty on the steep side, few more people up top. To get from the bottom to the top you have to hike, then ride a chair, then get on a bus, then ski down a bit, then ride another chair. Bit of an odd setup.

chuckstah

Interesting approach for sure, definitely sends a message. I wonder if the offenders were warned in the past.

I got a powder day there once, fresh tracks all day. Was shortly after they reopened and was crazy empty on the steep side, few more people up top. To get from the bottom to the top you have to hike, then ride a chair, then get on a bus, then ski down a bit, then ride another chair. Bit of an odd setup.
I had a powder day there once as well. Place was a ghost town. I remember taking a bus up to the top, but don't remember the hiking. One section was served by a cat on my first visit, but I don't remember it being cat served a couple years later on my other visit. Great time, really sketchy drive up the long Access road in a shitty rental.
Pressing charges seems a bit dickish for skinning, but I get it, your property, your rules.