• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

ScottySkis

I had a great time at the bev. Bird of prey was great as was grouse mountain area. Just skied those and then had our free cookies!
I ski there on my first west vacation of 4 days ski vacation 3 at Vail 1at BC
I liked it in 2008 I don't remember to much else though

dblskifanatic

I had a great time at the bev. Bird of prey was great as was grouse mountain area. Just skied those and then had our free cookies!

That is the core area for advanced skiing. There are some other spots that have short runs but are not worth the fare. Every where else is rather bland. The Aspen glades are cool though! Bachelor Gulch and Arrowhead are kind of fun to tool around for a bit with narrow runs.

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

Remember that time asc owned all the big ones and sold them off one by one to stay afloat? I do and bet things go down the same way
Different interest rate environment. Low rates = easy money = easier for soso + zombie companies to stay above water.

Tonyr

Beaver Creek claims 39% of the resort is designated advanced to expert. Killington claims 40% expert and has less skiable acres. It’s like Deer Valley or Snowmass where the Bogner people completely ignore trees and ungroomed terrain. The last time an orthopedic surgeon was in a knee, he told me to stay out of the bumps. My New England ice bumps days are behind me.
Congratulations on the new condo! I love skiing BC, it's my personal favorite of the I-70 resorts. The terrain is really good especially if you venture off into the unmarked trees which you can do all over the mountain. I absolutely love the tree skiing there and you are correct that people completely ignore the trees, untouched snow can be found days after a storm. I also think the on map terrain is very underrated as well, once you figure out how to avoid the areas where you need to do some skating you'll be all set!

As far as crowds go, I've never seen BC very crowded. 10 minutes is all I've ever waited to get on a lift and I've skied there over Christmas, New Years, and President's week. Killington is substantial more crowded over those times so is Vail and Breckenridge for that matter. Most days you'll be able to get right on the lift. In any event, if the snow is good out there in December I wouldn't let that hold you back from going during the holidays, it will be far from a zoo on the mountain although it is hard to get dinner reservations during that time.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
For those who don't know, I am moving West for next season to live a...let's call it...a "second childhood" and instruct full-time for a few years to take a break from it all. In talking to numerous mountains, Vail's move to $15 minimum wage is incredible disruptive. Every resort that has quoted me pay has said "this number will go up" with some resorts throwing the word "significantly" in there.

I'll be interested to see what ticket prices are next year if they stay at Covid-level highs. And of course all the other revenue streams.

Exciting times for sure. Vail might honestly have a play here if they can suck up all the lifties and cooks in the resort towns enticing them with wages higher than the competition.

2Planker

For those who don't know, I am moving West for next season to live a...let's call it...a "second childhood" and instruct full-time for a few years to take a break from it all. In talking to numerous mountains, Vail's move to $15 minimum wage is incredible disruptive. Every resort that has quoted me pay has said "this number will go up" with some resorts throwing the word "significantly" in there.

I'll be interested to see what ticket prices are next, baely enough year if they stay at Covid-level highs. And of course all the other revenue streams.

Exciting times for sure. Vail might honestly have a play here if they can suck up all the lifties and cooks in the resort towns enticing them with wages higher than the competition.
I donno...... Maybe out west is different but here, there are way more seasonal employees leaving Vail than joining.
The Cat & Tash are both gonna have the same issues as last year - barely enough staff to cover one resort, let alone two....

On top of that, the current housing market has reduced the # of seasonal rental properties, and the costs are also up significantly.

Geoff

I donno...... Maybe out west is different but here, there are way more seasonal employees leaving Vail than joining.
The Cat & Tash are both gonna have the same issues as last year - barely enough staff to cover one resort, let alone two....

On top of that, the current housing market has reduced the # of seasonal rental properties, and the costs are also up significantly.
My fiancee's daughter works in Vail village. The housing problem and worker shortage is way worse than anywhere in the Northeast.

2Planker

My fiancee's daughter works in Vail village. The housing problem and worker shortage is way worse than anywhere in the Northeast.
Ummmmm If Vail is "Half Staffed" then that's way better than what we're dealing with here.

Last season was either make snow at The Cat OR Tash. Not enough snomakers to cover both places on the same night.
Same for Lifties. Many days the Cat should have run the triple but their answer was "No Lifties available" even on Sat/Sun and Holiday weeks - CRAZY.
(Attitash just doesn't need as many lifties anymore, since they can't fix/overhaul the triple. Their biggest shortages were in Food/Beverage, and hotel staff.)

Don't even get me started w/ the Patrol #'s. For the upcoming 21/22 season, just don't get injured, otherwise you may be waiting quite a while for that toboggan to show up. The Cat used to have 20-25 patrollers on a weekend/holiday. Now it's 10 if you're lucky. Sometimes, there isn't even anyone stationed up top ready to respond when a call comes in. That never used to happen in the Jim Bilotta days. Now it's more common than not.

BW, Loon and Cannon are all filling many positions now w/ 10-15% bump for new hires.
No word at all or plans announced yet from Vail...
They'll probably start to think about it in October, when all the qualified folks have already committed elsewhere.

Next season will really show who's made the commitment to come back strong, and who's just gonna "wing it"

Last edited:

gittist

It may have already been voiced in the previous 120 pages (even by me, I have CRS) but I wonder if the seasonal employees made more $$ by staying home and collecting unemployment than going to work?

icecoast1

It may have already been voiced in the previous 120 pages (even by me, I have CRS) but I wonder if the seasonal employees made more $$ by staying home and collecting unemployment than going to work?
Yup as did many in other industries as well. Although Vail didn't do themselves any favors

2Planker

FYI - An official offer to buy the Cat has been made by a couple locals.
Reply requested in writing by Aug 15

thebigo

Was the offer six figures or seven figures? Does the party making the offer have any experience running a ski area?

2Planker

Was the offer six figures or seven figures? Does the party making the offer have any experience running a ski area?
No $$$ talk.
As for experience - Absolutely, 30-35 years each. Spread across ME, NH & VT