• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

thebigo

I have definitely skiied opening day at crotch under the lights within the last few years. I think it was the first year under vail, they got around a foot of fresh day before opening but left everything without snowmaking roped.

Last edited:

Mainer

Heard wildcat was a sheet of ice and cranmore was nice this weekend

thetrailboss

Staff member
Major snafu at PCMR yesterday. Red Pine Gondola went on wind hold for an extended amount of time stranding hundreds of skiers and riders at Red Pine Lodge with no way down. Since there is no snow, downloading is required.

Apparently, PCMR had been making snow on Chicane but did not have enough to open it. They opened it anyway to get folks out using shuttle vans. A real mess.

crystalmountainskier

Major snafu at PCMR yesterday. Red Pine Gondola went on wind hold for an extended amount of time stranding hundreds of skiers and riders at Red Pine Lodge with no way down. Since there is no snow, downloading is required.

Apparently, PCMR had been making snow on Chicane but did not have enough to open it. They opened it anyway to get folks out using shuttle vans. A real mess.

In their defense, people were safe at Red Pine and they might not have been safe on the gondola. A mess for sure but the alternative was to not even try to open yesterday.

thetrailboss

Staff member
In their defense, people were safe at Red Pine and they might not have been safe on the gondola. A mess for sure but the alternative was to not even try to open yesterday.
I don't recall if high winds were forecast. If they were not then I might understand the situation. On the otherhand it does seem like a bad situation that should be avoided. Not good planning if that was the case.

thebigo

I have always wondered what K would do if the gondi went down on a busy early season saturday.

icecoast1

I have always wondered what K would do if the gondi went down on a busy early season saturday.
Tell people to start walking and give them a coupon for a free hot chocolate at the bottom?

I wonder if they could download people on that quad that's in between Northridge and the Gondola to get people most of the way there?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think the easiest bet would be to download from the Snowdon triple or six. Not a far walk from the base of North Ridge

thetrailboss

Staff member
Tell people to start walking and give them a coupon for a free hot chocolate at the bottom?

I wonder if they could download people on that quad that's in between Northridge and the Gondola to get people most of the way there?
Now that you mention it, I remember in 2000 going up to Killington and they were using the Canyon Quad to download with a truck to shuttle skiers to the lift.

thebigo

Now that you mention it, I remember in 2000 going up to Killington and they were using the Canyon Quad to download with a truck to shuttle skiers to the lift.
The truck was SOP for a number of years, rumor was insurance shut it down. One year I uploaded on the K1 and rode the truck down to the glades triple.

I am sure they have a contingency plan, they would probably ask people to walk to the six.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The truck was SOP for a number of years, rumor was insurance shut it down. One year I uploaded on the K1 and rode the truck down to the glades triple.

I am sure they have a contingency plan, they would probably ask people to walk to the six.
I think 2000 was the last year of the truck.

abc

This talk of K in early season brought back some memory for me!

I was a relatively new skiers and I didn't know much. I could ski blues and some easy blacks. With only limited trails open in early season, I found myself stuck at a junction with a "closed" sign on the blue trail I intended to ski down. Moving on, I found myself at a dead end with the only way down a "black"...

Granted, it's just a steeper blue as it was groomed flat. That is, hard pack flat. Thankfully, it was short enough I straightlined it (or a couple of half-ass "turns") to the cat tracks below.

That motivated me to speed up my learning by taking a couple of "intermediate" level classes. In the mean time, I learned to not bother skiing early season. All in all, improved skills and choosing when to ski (or NOT to ski) based on condition/percentage open, my enjoyment of the sport had gone substantially better.

Now, I can ski them WROD. But I just won't bother to.

Mum skier

This talk of K in early season brought back some memory for me!

I was a relatively new skiers and I didn't know much. I could ski blues and some easy blacks. With only limited trails open in early season, I found myself stuck at a junction with a "closed" sign on the blue trail I intended to ski down. Moving on, I found myself at a dead end with the only way down a "black"...

Granted, it's just a steeper blue as it was groomed flat. That is, hard pack flat. Thankfully, it was short enough I straightlined it (or a couple of half-ass "turns") to the cat tracks below.

That motivated me to speed up my learning by taking a couple of "intermediate" level classes. In the mean time, I learned to not bother skiing early season. All in all, improved skills and choosing when to ski (or NOT to ski) based on condition/percentage open, my enjoyment of the sport had gone substantially better.

Now, I can ski them WROD. But I just won't bother to.
Last year early season at Sunapee a bit similar. Ridge (the easiest blue from the top was not open). But no sign at the top saying that so families and beginners headed in the direction that usually is the easiest route and then had to slide down upper blast off or walk back up. okay upper blast off is not exactly long or hard, but for a beginner expecting Ridge would be a bit of a surprise.