• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

catskillman

Hunter Mountain Brewery - wonder if they went after them yet. Thery habe beers also named some version of Hunter Mountain there

PAabe

You can't go after "Hunter Mountain xxx." Hunter Mountain is the textbook name of the physical geologic mountain per USGS, predating the ski area, and cannot be trademarked.

The logo? Yes. "Hunter Mountain Resort?" Perhaps

ericfromMA/NH/VT

Time for vail to put up or shut up.

Its gonna be COLD for the next 9 days here in NH. Like zero on Tuesday night. Not looking forward to chaperone duty at my sons middle school lessons at Pats that night. Only 1 day in the next 9 is it predicted to be over 32 degrees at Sunapee- Wednesday, high 34 low 15, per weather underground.

They now have temps that should let them make a ton of snow at least at Sunapee and Crotched, and I assume WC and Attitash and the VT resorts thru at least the next 9 days.

If they have the commitment to do it

If they have the people to do it

If they have the equipment to do it.

"the weather is warm" is not an excuse this week.

after this week we will know if they can/want to blow snow or not, or if they DGAF once they get your money.

Sadly, I'm preparing to be disappointed.

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
You can't go after "Hunter Mountain xxx." Hunter Mountain is the textbook name of the physical geologic mountain per USGS, predating the ski area, and cannot be trademarked.

The logo? Yes. "Hunter Mountain Resort?" Perhaps
The physical geologic mountain location is called Colonel's Chair, Hunter is to the east (Hunter One).

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
Time for vail to put up or shut up.

Its gonna be COLD for the next 9 days here in NH. Like zero on Tuesday night. Not looking forward to chaperone duty at my sons middle school lessons at Pats that night. Only 1 day in the next 9 is it predicted to be over 32 degrees at Sunapee- Wednesday, high 34 low 15, per weather underground.

They now have temps that should let them make a ton of snow at least at Sunapee and Crotched, and I assume WC and Attitash and the VT resorts thru at least the next 9 days.

If they have the commitment to do it

If they have the people to do it

If they have the equipment to do it.

"the weather is warm" is not an excuse this week.

after this week we will know if they can/want to blow snow or not, or if they DGAF once they get your money.

Sadly, I'm preparing to be disappointed.
Rumor down here is, they don't plan on opening the Westside this year............

So Inclined

Rumor down here is, they don't plan on opening the Westside this year............
Seems likely enough. They were just blowing snow on Way Out yesterday, but apparently not enough yet to get skiers down to Rip's Return.

IceEidolon

Super cold temps and an inexperienced/shorthanded crew is also a recipe for frozen pipe. Here's hoping they don't do that.

MadKitty

Wildcat fired up the guns on wild kitten this afternoon. It's Jan. 9 and they still haven't even connected the hoses on lynx. Even the folks who have houses at Okemo and ski 1 week a year in gapper mecca (Vail/Beaver Creek) aren't defending them anymore. Their product is unsustainably bad and their stock will crash. People who have defended them should be embarrassed.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Wildcat fired up the guns on wild kitten this afternoon. It's Jan. 9 and they still haven't even connected the hoses on lynx. Even the folks who have houses at Okemo and ski 1 week a year in gapper mecca (Vail/Beaver Creek) aren't defending them anymore. Their product is unsustainably bad and their stock will crash. People who have defended them should be embarrassed.

I will forever be grateful for their substantial infrastructure improvements at their flagships. Whistler has seen a ton of $$$. Beaver Creek got their new area open. Breck has arguably doubled in size since 2000. The Canyons/Park City connection is huge. Mount Snow is getting Sunbrook and Sundance replaced next year with detaches which have been needed/talked about over there for 20 years. Okemo got the Green Ridge hsq...another item that was "in the works" since 2005 lol. Mountain Triple at Stowe...finally getting replaced as well...another lift where the replacement was nothing more than talked about for 10+ years under old ownership.

Their mentality reminds me of ASC. Build build build and f--k everything else. I've never defended Vail but I've always made the argument they are making a lot of positive, high-money/high-impact infrastructure improvements to resorts that will be there forever.

IceEidolon

It doesn't appear that they're doing the same kind of massive snowmaking upgrades at smaller properties, though. You could make a big difference at some of these places operationally for a couple hundred grand - far less than buying a new lift. And that ignores the butcher bill of deferred maintenance on snowmaking systems.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I will forever be grateful for their substantial infrastructure improvements at their flagships. Whistler has seen a ton of $$$. Beaver Creek got their new area open. Breck has arguably doubled in size since 2000. The Canyons/Park City connection is huge. Mount Snow is getting Sunbrook and Sundance replaced next year with detaches which have been needed/talked about over there for 20 years. Okemo got the Green Ridge hsq...another item that was "in the works" since 2005 lol. Mountain Triple at Stowe...finally getting replaced as well...another lift where the replacement was nothing more than talked about for 10+ years under old ownership.

Their mentality reminds me of ASC. Build build build and f--k everything else. I've never defended Vail but I've always made the argument they are making a lot of positive, high-money/high-impact infrastructure improvements to resorts that will be there forever.
Assuming that all those lift projects go forward and are not canceled due to a bad season.