• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

drjeff

I just read that. Goddamn that sucks.

Just saw some more details on this.

Apparently the deceased was a 29yr old patroller who was on duty at the time. Haul rope is typically 25 ft or so above the ground where the incident happened, authorities speculated that when the snow ladened tree suddenly fell on the haul rope that the oscilation in the chair it caused could of made the fall up to 50 feet. Vail Corporate policy is that all employees while riding a lift have to have the safety bar down. Was not mentioned in the update if the status of the safety bar was known or not.

Having ridden that lift many times over the years, I would guess that the incident happened on the side closer to Red Pine Lodge rather than Lookout Cabin, as the Red Pine Lodge side loads in a area where there are a bunch of tall pines trees before the lift descends down a valley and then climbs up the other side of the valley to the Lookout cabin side where the hillside is mostly covered in low height scrub brush. Such a tragic, sounds like a total fluke event. May he RIP

Kingslug20

So..Jeremy Renner got run over by a full blown 14000 grooming machine he owns...and lived! Friggin super hero.

cdskier

I need to understand how this happened. Details are vague.
What I read was that some car he owned was stuck and he was trying to get it out using the cat. He got out of the cat and it started to move so he tried to jump back into it to stop it and that's when the accident happened.

NYDB

he was trying to get a car unstuck (which was being driven by other family members) so he got his pisten bully and headed out to help them.

while doing that he exited his pisten bully to communicate with them and it began to move. he tried to get back in the runaway bully, missed and got run over.

ThatGuy

Wow thats rough, can’t believe he’s alive.
Imagine getting run over by this…
04C596B0-A439-4220-8C2A-082F99CAD617.jpeg

thetrailboss

Staff member
Just saw some more details on this.

Apparently the deceased was a 29yr old patroller who was on duty at the time. Haul rope is typically 25 ft or so above the ground where the incident happened, authorities speculated that when the snow ladened tree suddenly fell on the haul rope that the oscilation in the chair it caused could of made the fall up to 50 feet. Vail Corporate policy is that all employees while riding a lift have to have the safety bar down. Was not mentioned in the update if the status of the safety bar was known or not.

Having ridden that lift many times over the years, I would guess that the incident happened on the side closer to Red Pine Lodge rather than Lookout Cabin, as the Red Pine Lodge side loads in a area where there are a bunch of tall pines trees before the lift descends down a valley and then climbs up the other side of the valley to the Lookout cabin side where the hillside is mostly covered in low height scrub brush. Such a tragic, sounds like a total fluke event. May he RIP
Honestly it sounds like a safety bar would not have made much difference considering the force involved.

FBGM

It was a pleasure of mine to meet Ken and his family on several occasions when I lived in Park City. He was very humble and an outright good dude. Sad all around.

Sad about patroller.

Scary about that snowcat incident. Can run those old PBs with door open and no parking brake

Pretty over bad stuff here at beginning of 2023

Duke61

It was a pleasure of mine to meet Ken and his family on several occasions when I lived in Park City. He was very humble and an outright good dude. Sad all around.

Sad about patroller.

Scary about that snowcat incident. Can run those old PBs with door open and no parking brake

Pretty over bad stuff here at beginning of 2023
Cannon used to have an ancient PB with a passenger/cargo box that didn't get used much, I wonder if it still stashed away or if some state of NH accountant sold it long ago...darn thing was so old it wasn't flat front, it had cab/hood like a pickup truck. I rode in it once and the mechanical noises that resonated inside were scary.

BodeMiller1

So..Jeremy Renner got run over by a full blown 14000 grooming machine he owns...and lived! Friggin super hero.
Most people have no idea how to operate anything over 4 tons. The potential energy of these machines is hard to understand.

For example: You're hauling rock in a dump truck, you raise the front of the bed and the truck tips over. Why, because you've raised the center of gravity.

Rich people buy toys they don't understand, and the beat goes on...

ThatGuy

I’m convinced he is either sauced or 100% sober when posting because his paragraphs range from completely coherent or make me feel like I’m reading a poorly translated Japanese robot.

Kingslug20

We have no idea how long Mr Renner has owned it...freak thing...he got lucky.
Remember the guy that played chekov on the new star trek movies...he got crushed to death by his jeep...
Shit happens..

deadheadskier

Staff member
In yet another example of Vail sucking, I had been signed up for a two day Master's GS Race Camp next Wednesday and Thursday at Mt Snow. I had been really looking forward to it.

Mt Snow just cancelled the camp saying they don't have enough snow to support it. Absolutely ridiculous. Even with this bad run of weather, Mt Snow hasn't made enough snow to set aside one training trail midweek for 32 participants? Are you serious? I bet even Gunstock could have supported it this week.

This is just another example of Vail totally failing at being aggressive with early season snowmaking. They are absolutely awful at Eastern Ski operations.

That company can't die soon enough.
Fuck Vail

NYDB

In yet another example of Vail sucking, I had been signed up for a two day Master's GS Race Camp next Wednesday and Thursday at Mt Snow. I had been really looking forward to it.

Mt Snow just cancelled the camp saying they don't have enough snow to support it. Absolutely ridiculous. Even with this bad run of weather, Mt Snow hasn't made enough snow to set aside one training trail midweek for 32 participants? Are you serious? I bet even Gunstock could have supported it this week.

This is just another example of Vail totally failing at being aggressive with early season snowmaking. They are absolutely awful at Eastern Ski operations.

That company can't die soon enough.
Fuck Vail
Yeah……at the risk of stepping on dr Jeff’s toes, I’d give mount snow a pass on this one.

I know Stratton had to cancel some race training and related activities today.

its fucking rough out here right now in so vt.

Last edited: